RagaFrasnGorldurn Humidity...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

RagaFrasnGorldurn Humidity...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not sure what kind of bluing/browning is on that Drilling of mine (Joe? ideas?) But I had to spend over an hour detailing it with fine copper wool & RIG to get all of the flash rust off of the surface (the bore was fine... go figure...) - even though I have RIG whiped on all the surfaces at all times.

Not even my "In the White" Howda had as much rust on it.

Just what int the heck do I need to do tho keep that thing from turning red? :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: RagaFrasnGorldurn Humidity...

Post by Blaine »

Wow.....Do your others do that? Here in WA, I have good luck with Pledge or WD40...usually the same rag has some of both on there.... I'm not going to say I never get a speck, but that's about it. A tiny speck every 10 blue moons or so.... Just a thought, but if you have slathered on something that traps the moisture UNDER it, that might be the problem. Use something thin so it gets air to the metal.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

No, just the one. My Damascus Double was fine and even the Zulu was OK... but the drilling is a rust magnet...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Wax? Of course, wax may not be practical, but I'm pretty sure that's what they use for long term preservation of firearms at museums.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Maybe it's rejecting your arrogant American oil and wants a good dose of Ballistol! Europeans....... :roll:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

BlaineG wrote:Wow.....Do your others do that? Here in WA, I have good luck with Pledge or WD40...usually the same rag has some of both on there.... I'm not going to say I never get a speck, but that's about it. A tiny speck every 10 blue moons or so.... Just a thought, but if you have slathered on something that traps the moisture UNDER it, that might be the problem. Use something thin so it gets air to the metal.
I was thinking the same thing. I would degrease it completely and start over.....see if it helps.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:P :P Of course, if it's driving you to distraction, just send it to me and I'll take a few years and figger out what the issue is..... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Corrosion-X works the best for me.

I have an HS-2000 9mm pistol (forerunner of the Springfield XD9) that has a very fine black phosphate finish on the silde. That slide would develop very sight surface rust every few months despite being oiled with gun oil or CLP, or Ballistol.

Then a client gave me 3/4 of a gallon of Corrosion-X Aviation, a greenish-tinted low viscosity oil with a slight odor of sassafras. I applied the C-X Aviation to the HS2000 slide about three times in as many weeks, and that was going on five years ago. The slide has NOT rusted since, not once, not even a bit. I re-oil once a year with C-X Aviation, and use it on all the rest of my firearms and edged weapons.

The owner of the Corrosion-X company is/was a member of the S&W Forum, and he told me in an e-mail that "it doesn't matter" which flavor of Corrosion-X one uses on firearms. He makes Corrosion-X, Corrosion-X Aviation with a viscosity modifier to stick to the fuselage without running too much, and Corrosion-X for Guns, with a slightly lower viscosity. The active ingredient, a molecular film-forming additive that blocks oxygen, is present in all three flavors in equal amounts. Mike said that ANY of the C-X products will work fine on guns, and to "go ahead, by all means" and use the C-X Aviation my client gave me on my firearms. Good stuff.

http://www.corrosionx.com/

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I had the same problem with my 1858's after this weekend and I didn't do any thing to them that I dont use in the front stuffers . Usually EVOO ( extra virgin olive oil for those that dont watch the food network) does the trick but not this time. Best of luck let us know what ends up working for ya.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I mentioned it before and will again: I highly recommend Birchwood-Casey's "Barricade" (formerly "Sheath"). It goes on thin and protects like crazy.

From the B-C website:

"Barricade® Rust Protection for Firearms
BARRICADE Rust Protection protects your firearms from rust. It rapidly drives out moisture from metal pores and deposits a transparent coating which seals the surface with a protective film. Withstands 500 hours in ASTM humidity test and 96 hours in ASTM salt spray test. BARRICADE Rust Protection is also an excellent penetrant for loosening rusty or frozen parts, as well as a good lubricant and an effective bore cleaner. Contains FPR to wipe off corrosive fingerprints on all your firearms. Available in spout or aerosol cans."

Give it a whirl.

Good luck,
Scott
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I installed a GoldenRod in my safe about five years ago, and I've had no problems since. I put a thin coat of regular gun oil on and put them away.

I am a big fan. http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/
Chad
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't usually have any problems with surface rust, but I've often wondered how the aerosol silicone spray would work.
NRA Life Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've had good results preventing rust using a product called Sweetshooter.

http://www.sweetshooter.com/

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

RSY is correct! A year ago I did my own rust tests here at the house by placing steel pieces outside for a few days .I used 12 different oils and waxes and the two best rust preventives were Birchwood Casey Sheath and Kroil.Some old Remoil did OK also but every thing else failed to some degree to protect the metal.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

71fan wrote:I installed a GoldenRod in my safe about five years ago, and I've had no problems since. I put a thin coat of regular gun oil on and put them away.

I am a big fan. http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/
Got that in my safe already. It was 2 days in the field that got it going...

Looks like I'm going ot have to try Corrosion-X & BC/Baricade...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Noah Zark wrote:Corrosion-X works the best for me.
+1

I lube with RemOil, CLP, whatever I have on hand but the outside gets CX.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Get the Rig grease off. Grease will actually attract moisture and trap it between the barrel and the grease. Even oil will attract moisture.

I use Corrosion X but many of the other remidies listed in the other posts will do. Johnson's paste wax has been a good preservative for years.
ED
Yer never too old
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Let us know how it works out. It sounds like you have somewhat of an extreme situation and I'd like to know how whatever you choose ends up working for you.

Scott
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit suprised at the "get the grease off" comment (though not necessairly questioning it) because RIG stands for "rust inhibiting grease"... but at this point, for this gun, anyting is worth a try...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

When I got my custom muzzleloader from the builder, I could not get the rust to stop on my barrel. I would go over it 2-3 times a day and every time would bring away not scale from the browning, but active, aggressive rust. This went on for almost 2 weeks. The only thing that stopped it was when I degreased it with alcohol. It stopped right then and there. There must have been some moisture under all the stuff I had slathered on it. After degreasing I ballistoled it and have never had a problem since.