A holster and some grips for my Ruger 44: updt w range reprt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

A holster and some grips for my Ruger 44: updt w range reprt

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, after shooting my new Ruger .44 Special I decided that it needed a new pair of grips - something a little less abrassive. So, after looking around, I actually ended up purchasing a set from Ruger's on-line store. There's still checkering but its not in a place that abrates your hand with every shot. I also found a nice little holster for it. I really like it even though its far from a top of the line brand - Hunter - check it out:

And I think the grips look nice too! They aren't as phat as I'd like but the elimination of the sharp plastic checkering should make it a lot more enjoyable to shoot:

Now, I need to load up some jacketed bullets and get to the range to season and burnish the bore. It should then be ready for the cast bullets.

One thing I did notice is that my sizer is .430" and that's the size of the pistol's bore - usually, I want a wee bit larger than the bore, so I may need to get a slightly larger sizer or open the one that I have up a bit... to .431 at least...
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: A holster and some grips for my Ruger 44

Post by bsaride »

nice looking grips!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I am interested to know what model number the holster is and where you found it. If you get a chance please share :wink:
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

O.S.O.K. wrote:One thing I did notice is that my sizer is .430" and that's the size of the pistol's bore - usually, I want a wee bit larger than the bore, so I may need to get a slightly larger sizer or open the one that I have up a bit... to .431 at least...
Remember what Elmer always said: to size bullets to exact groove diameter. (I don't really know if it's absolutely necessary, I only know what I've read from him, and he had WAY more experience than little ol' me.)
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Looking good! Those grips make a big difference.
My barrel slugged right at .429 Cylinder throats all measure .432. I gave mine a 11 deg forcing cone, as a matter of fact I barley had to remove any material, I think it all ready had 11 deg. My trigger was right at 3.5 # with quite a bit of creep, adjusted it to 2.75# and crisp. What really surprised me while I was inspecting the crown, it just did not look right under magnification, so I re-cut the crown and squared the end of the barrel, it was not cut square to the bore, never had seen one off that much!
One nice thing the sights are dead centered and the rear sight base is level with the flat top. Bet the crown clean up will really make a shooter out of this one.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I like the grips! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You didn't like the plastic? :shock: :wink: :lol:

Seriously now, that Ruger wood looks good. I might have to get it for mine. On the other hand, I don't mind the plastic that much... :roll: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

O.S.O.K.,

I like all three, the Ruger, the grips, and the holster. BTW, could you post a pic of the back side of the holster? That is just about what I've been looking for to keep IJ in.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I wonder if a 44mag cylinder will fit inside the flattop cylinder frame.

I'm assuming since they made the 50th flattop 44mag it will.

Anyone care to take a measurement?
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Those grips look great ! The single six i purchased a month ago came with the new Ruger issue black plastic grips too --- i think you have shown me the way! I was hesitant to get a set off the 'bay because of the possibility of getting a grip originally put on a stainless gun --- but no need to worry now if i can get a set like that from ruger :D

just looked at the website --- plain Rosewood grips with the Ruger logo are just what the Dr ordered :lol: -- i didnt even know they sold those, as i have seen them go for 40-50 on the internet pawn shop (er--- ebay)
----- Doug
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

meanc wrote:I wonder if a 44mag cylinder will fit inside the flattop cylinder frame.

I'm assuming since they made the 50th flattop 44mag it will.

Anyone care to take a measurement?
No the .44 Mag cylinders are too large. The 44 Spcl flattop is made on the same mid sized frame as the 50th Anniversary .357 flattop and the New Vaquero. All of Rugers .44 Magnums are made on the large frame.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well thanks guys. The holster can be found at midway usa. Just navigate to holsters, ruger, blackhawk... and you will see it in the line up = hunter. The price is very reasonable - the usualy hunter price tag. I have a couple of their holsters and while they may not be the fanciest, they are all of good quality and good fit.

The grips do look good don't they? I hope they feel as good as they look when I go to shoot it again - especially since I'm going to be shooting full-house .44 Spl loads :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Those are sweet looking grips! 8)
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

O.S.O.K. what is your full house load?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Really like the looks of the grips. Nice piece.
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

salvo wrote:O.S.O.K. what is your full house load?
Well, its really Brian Pearce's full house load - 19.0 grains of H110 under a 240 grain XTP with mag primers for about 1150 fps. But I'll be loading a 250 grain Sierra and dropping the charge to 18 grains. For me, this is just to condition the bore so that my cast bullet loads will perform better.

The way I look at it, the 44 Special is best at it's mid-level - 250 grain keith bullet at 950-1000 fps. According to Brian, this is enough for black bear on down.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is a 44 mag, My dainty daughter prefers shooting it to a Colt 44 Spl because the grip are smooth as opposed to the hard rubber checkered ones on the Colt.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A holster and some grips for my Ruger 44: updt w range reprt

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Got it out to the range today to shoot the box of 250 grain Sierra jacketed bullets to smooth the bore. After that, I cleanded with JB bore paste and then shot some of the Keith bullets. Shot great! And the leading was neglible - a little down at the forcing cone - which came out easily when I cleaned it.

Here's a six shot group with the Sierra JFP's at around 1100 fps:

And here's a five shot group with the Kieth cast bullets at 950 fps:

The top group is 2 1/4".

The flyer to the right of the bottom target is my fault - pulled it. Too bad as I had a good group going...

I shot these at 25 yards with my arms on a rolled up camp pad - not the best/most stable but gives me an indication of what the pistol/loads are doing. And I'd say they are doing pretty good! I'm happy anyway.

The Keith bullets at 950 fps are going to be my standard load for this revolver. Oh, and the new grips are great! There was a little friction from the checkering but no biggy at all - even with the hot loads.

I think I've got it figured out :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You might still want to try getting some paste from Veral and fire lapping that bore. It will smooth it up much better than jacketed bullets ever could.

I've even fire lapped my 10/22 bull barrel. Man they're slick after that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have a Wheeler fire lapping kit. I've used this process to save old frosted barrels. I don't think I want to apply that to my Ruger though. It's shooting just fine as-is now.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!