OT - Kenmore Appliances

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Kenmore Appliances

Post by Charles »

Does anybody know the quality of current Kenmore appliances and who makes them?
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Kenmore Appliances

Post by GonnePhishin »

Consumer Reports generally ranks them pretty high and their frequency of repair record is generally one of the lowest.

I believe that Whirlpool used to exclusively make them for sears (washers, dryers, ranges), but in today's global economy this might have changed.

Even though they have a pretty good record doesn't mean they are trouble free. Our Kenmore washer had to be fixed soon after purchase (2000) as well as the matching dryer, but all in all they have been pretty reliable.

One word of advice: The electronic control ones are much more expensive to fix, since the circuit boards are unrepairable if they go bad and are just replaced.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We bought a new house in Dec 07. It had all Kenmore appliances, washer, dryer. The washing machine started making a loud unusual noise after about 6 months. I called the Sears store where it came from and they told me I had to call the 1-800 service #. I did that and went through several menus and waited on hold for ever. Never got to speak with a human. I gave up and tried the next day, same thing. I finally just fixed it myself. :evil:
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The Manufacturer varies from year to year and from one item to the next. I have had good service from all the Sears stuff I've ever bought. For me the best part of Sears is that id something does break I can call them on the phone and order the part over the phone and have it at my house in 3 to 4 days. In the last 30 years I've replaced two dryer heating elements and one main drive belt.

Maytag is another story. IMHO if someone wanted to sell me another Maytag anything I think I'd loose my testimony.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Rusty wrote:The Manufacturer varies from year to year and from one item to the next. I have had good service from all the Sears stuff I've ever bought. For me the best part of Sears is that id something does break I can call them on the phone and order the part over the phone and have it at my house in 3 to 4 days. In the last 30 years I've replaced two dryer heating elements and one main drive belt.
Washers & dryers still come from Whirlpool, partly owned by Sears...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

What about the stoves, refrigerators and dish washers? We are good to go with the washer and dryer.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We've got two refigerators; one Sears and one GE. They are identical, so at least once they were made by GE. Who knows now?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I was not happy with the quality of them. They lasted only 7 years in a new home that I had built. Also, if you look close they are no longer fully made here in the usa, but I guess very little is these days.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

UncleBuck wrote:Consumer Reports generally ranks them pretty high and their frequency of repair record is generally one of the lowest.

I believe that Whirlpool used to exclusively make them for sears (washers, dryers, ranges), but in today's global economy this might have changed.

Even though they have a pretty good record doesn't mean they are trouble free. Our Kenmore washer had to be fixed soon after purchase (2000) as well as the matching dryer, but all in all they have been pretty reliable.

One word of advice: The electronic control ones are much more expensive to fix, since the circuit boards are unrepairable if they go bad and are just replaced.

+1. The only thing wrong with our current stove is the stupid controls. Setting the timer or temp. is a PITA.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I think (uhoh) that every so often Sears bids out who will make them...... I've had two W&D that I"ve bought in Thirty years....Both Whirlpool. Left the first set in my first house when I sold it. They were 18 years and running strong (had to replace a heater in the dryer) and the set I have had since about 96 are still going strong..... I like Whirlpool.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Can't say about the very recent stuff, but most of my washers, dryers, refrigerators - even vacuum cleaners have been Kenmore's, and I've always been happy with them. We had a dryer last almost 20 years and that was with sometimes daily use. Most of my hand and bench-top tools are Craftsman. I just like Sears, and especially like their support of our military. :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

From that standpoint we built a new house four years ago and equipped it with Kenmore from top to bottom. The only problem we've had was having to have the door on the gas range needed to be adjusted which was done under the one year service agreement.

It is my opinion that with modern electronics if they work past the initial burn in period, which is usually around 30 days or so they will last a long time unless you are prone to fluctuations in electrical power or have a high rate of lightening strikes. For that reason I don't care for extended service plans.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
sharps1863
Levergunner 1.0

Post by sharps1863 »

i don't know about Kenmore, but I have a Maytag washer and dryer set,
That my wife and I bought when we were married 22 years ago, Still going strong. I have spent a total of $110.00 on both for repairs. I had to replace the electric drive motor on the dryer and the water pump on the washer. Done the work myself. If they both quit tomorrow I cant complain. But todays quality just ain't what it was 20yrs ago either.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences. The wife wants to replace all of the kitchen appliances and thought that she might save a few buck with the Kenmore brand and still get good service. I knew that Whirlpool had been the maker in the past, but didn't know the current makers.

Kenmore enjoys a good reputation around here and that is probably the way we will go. You can get a good or bad appliance from any maker, so these things are always a stuff shoot. Our industrial world in changing so fast, it is hard to know what is what.

Thanks again...
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Note to censor program.. "cr$)" shoot" refers to a dice game and not human waste. There is a difference, the former being socialy acceptable even at ladies church meeting and the later not being acceptable. Of course there is always Sir Thomas Crapper and his well made modern appliances to improve the condition of Englishmen and citizens of the world everywhere. May his tribe increase!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Charles wrote:Thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences. The wife wants to replace all of the kitchen appliances and thought that she might save a few buck with the Kenmore brand and still get good service. I knew that Whirlpool had been the maker in the past, but didn't know the current makers.

Kenmore enjoys a good reputation around here and that is probably the way we will go. You can get a good or bad appliance from any maker, so these things are always a stuff shoot. Our industrial world in changing so fast, it is hard to know what is what.

Thanks again...
Look around for smaller distributors; there's one hyere in Wichita that carries high end appliances for less than retail stores, and even finances them. It's little more than a warehouse with a tiny sales office that really reminds me of a grain elevator, but the savings are huge. Also, a small outfit will likely give you more of a break when you're buying a housefull of appliances. (Feel free to use your savings to buy me a nice old Winchester big bore! :lol: )
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Charles wrote:Note to censor program.. "cr$)" shoot" refers to a dice game and not human waste. There is a difference, the former being socialy acceptable even at ladies church meeting and the later not being acceptable.
I haven't tried it, but would the censor pass it if it was one word?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I dunno, let's find out.

Crapshoot

Yup. Looks like it works.

I've been very happy with the refrigerator I bought 4 years ago. Not a single hiccup and I love the thing.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Well the censor program took out dumba%% the other day. Let's try that as two words.

dumb butt

OK... I guess Jesus will have to ride on either a donkey or a butt! I am going to be REAL upset, it the computor is named Hal.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

(a word I should have been embarassed to use) still works. :wink:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Charles wrote:Well the censor program took out dumba%% the other day. Let's try that as two words.

dumb butt

OK... I guess Jesus will have to ride on either a donkey or a butt! I am going to be REAL upset, it the computor is named Hal.
I'm sorry Charles, I can't do that...

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

We had a new house built, moved in Feb 05. All Kenmore appliances kitchen and laundry. No problems at all yet, wife washes more than most women do, but washer sounds great so far.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

even vacuum cleaners have been Kenmore's
I hear they really suck.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Sears used to make a pretty good model 94 under their Ted Williams brand if I remember right. There now this topic has a levergun in it.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

El Chivo wrote:
even vacuum cleaners have been Kenmore's
I hear they really suck.
hahahaha.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I have a Kenmore refrigerator I bought in 1969 that still works like it was new - I had really good experience with Kenmore appliances prior to 1988 but between 1988 and 1994, I had experiences with a refrigerator and washing machine that were so bad - and Sears wasn't responding as I think it should have - generally sending letters to the effect that the problems were likely my fault - that I would do without rather than buy another appliance from Sears.

:twisted: :!:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Apparently the censor program is a crapshoot...