OT - 1911 Longslide

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - 1911 Longslide

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not wanting to high-jack Azmark's post on the 1911 (I know, who kidnapped Ysabel and who are you?), I was curious if anyone had a 1911 Longslide, and if there is any advantage to this configuration over the more common ones?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - 1911 Longslide

Post by Streetstar »

Need i say more ? :lol:

----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

for some reason I never got the "feel " for a 1911 in anything but the 4.25" "Commander" length and Officer's model Frame.

Even GI feels too long, but if you have a 4" with bushing you can use it as a decent CCW piece, or add a drop-on "Bushing Comp" and play games with it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've never held a longslide, let alone shot one.

Streetstar, anyone tell you you look like Arnold Swartzenegger? :D
Old Law Dawg
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

YK,

This might be obvious but wouldn't the extra 1 inch barrel length make for better ballistics and slightly more accuracy?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

Anyone know how fast a six inch barrel could safely launch a +P 230gr jhp?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The real advantage is added sight radius.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Not wanting to high-jack Azmark's post on the 1911 (I know, who kidnapped Ysabel and who are you?), I was curious if anyone had a 1911 Longslide, and if there is any advantage to this configuration over the more common ones?
Yep - I bought this AMT Longslide in 1987 knowing the reputation AMT had for "spotty" QC - turned out I was lucky and got one of the good ones. The frame is actually government model size and the barrel and slide are 7" - the plug is longer so it uses only a government model recoil spring. I replaced the oversized slide stop, thumb safety, and rubber grips - otherwise it's stock.

Dunno that there's any advantage to that Longslide - other than it handles those "hot" loads from Double Tap with more comfort and is a lot of fun to shoot - plus the fact it was on sale and only cost me $300.00 - plus, it's acurate and reliable :!:

:mrgreen:
Last edited by OJ on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Wow, I need to go back in time to that gun shop and get me one of those for $300! :lol: :mrgreen:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Here's a picture of mescalero1's long slide:

Okay M1 - tell us the story! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

UncleBuck wrote:YK,

This might be obvious but wouldn't the extra 1 inch barrel length make for better ballistics and slightly more accuracy?
I thought that as well as the sight radius, but wanted to hear from folks who own one/have owned one/have shot one. Are the advantages real, or is this just a case of "cool factor"?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

OJ wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Not wanting to high-jack Azmark's post on the 1911 (I know, who kidnapped Ysabel and who are you?), I was curious if anyone had a 1911 Longslide, and if there is any advantage to this configuration over the more common ones?
Yep - I bought this AMT Longslide in 1987 knowing the reputation AMT had for "spotty" QC - turned out i was lucky and got one of the good ones. The frame is actually government model size and the barrel and slide are 7" - the plug is longer so it uses only a government model recoil spring. I replaced the oversized slide stop, thumb safety, and rubber grips - otherwise it's stock.

Dunno that there's any advantage to that Longslide - other than it handles those "hot" loads from Double Tap with more comfort and is a lot of fun to shoot - plus the fact it was on sale and only cost me $300.00 - plus, it's acurate and reliable :!:

:mrgreen:
THIEF! :mrgreen:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I don't know about the " cool " factor, I am a lot more accurate with it than any of my 5 " guns. But that is a Bo Mar rear and a big front.
I have two more " can play with slides ".
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

mescalero1 wrote:I don't know about the " cool " factor, I am a lot more accurate with it than any of my 5 " guns. But that is a Bo Mar rear and a big front.
I have two more " can play with slides ".
So, that one replaces the slide and barrel on a standard 5" model without any permanent alterations? VERY COOL! 8) Where'd you find the barrel?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You can have it both ways, but remember there MUST be a donor slide that comes from somewhere.
There are quite a few aftermarket long barrels available, shotgun news once a month has a big ad from a big gun parts company back east.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

have 1911a1 with a 4" barrel and an old 1911, no grip safety with a 5" barrel. thought i had the acp pretty well covered. now, after seeing it, i want a long slide :(