OT: What's next~or~Pathfinder follies, Epilogue

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: What's next~or~Pathfinder follies, Epilogue

Post by J Miller »

Well, lets see. 4 days till the get together in IN. My wifes truck has bald tires, and possibly needs front or rear or both breaks.

TODAY we were doing some errands in my Nissan Pathfinder getting stuff for this weekend. My wife had a small winning lottery ticket so we went into a Circle K to cash it. As we backed out I had the front wheels cut hard right to get out of the parking place and line up for the street exit.

Something went BANG - BANG under the left front. HUH!? Well, I didn't get out and look, I just continued backing out and then we came home. On the way it was pulling to the right and pulled worse when I used the breaks.
We got home and took the groceries in and then looked at the Pathfinder. Had I looked at it at the Circle K it would have come home on a flat bed.
The left strut rod had broke where it passed through the frame hanger. The jaged stump had caught on the flimsy sheet metal thing that holds the bushing. I drove it home that way.
Busted strut rod.JPG
Busted strut rod_rear.JPG
Do you believe in Angles??? I do.

Now tomorrow I'll be on the phone trying to find out what this is going to cost to get fixed. No call to wrecking yards will be made as the rust factor will make it probable I'd get a trashed one. And what about the right side? All the bolts are covered with 14 years of Illinois road salt residue and rust. Can I even get them apart?

What next?

Joe

PS; We're just thankful it broke here and now and not on the way to or from IN.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J Miller on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: What's next ?????

Post by mescalero1 »

Jeez Joe,
My 1972 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 still has the factory paint on the undercarrige
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Had to hire a lawyer to communicate with my wife's siblings last week. $875 retainer.
I wrecked my cherry 49 Chevy yesterday. 'Bout a grand worth.
Saw an article today that the guy I gave a thousand dollars to order some Liberty Dollars is indicted in Federal court for those same Liberty Dollars.
My MIL went into assisted living today and won't be able to keep her PITA jack russel after all. I have a new dog.

I feel your pain.
Last edited by Tycer on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

mescalero1 wrote:Jeez Joe,
But you live in the land of 6" of rain a year and no salt trucks.

Glad you got home safe Joe. If I was closer to you I would offer to come over and help you out. I used to be a mechanic and still have most of my tools. Hope this don't keep ya from coming shooting.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JReed wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:Jeez Joe,
But you live in the land of 6" of rain a year and no salt trucks.

Glad you got home safe Joe. If I was closer to you I would offer to come over and help you out. I used to be a mechanic and still have most of my tools. Hope this don't keep ya from coming shooting.
Jeremy,
I got 4 days to get the Pathfinder or my wife's truck fixed up so I've not given up hope yet.
I "should" have enough tools to do the work, if not there's several places around here to buy them. I'm just hoping I can get the rod quickly and that the right side rod isn't damaged.
But if you were closer I'd sure accept the help.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

If it wouldn't break the bank I would go ahead and replace the right side just for peace of mind. It has the same years and miles as the other side so it would be suspect in my eyes.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JReed wrote:If it wouldn't break the bank I would go ahead and replace the right side just for peace of mind. It has the same years and miles as the other side so it would be suspect in my eyes.
Yep, that's my plan, but I'll bet these are Dealer only parts and if so I'll bet they cost a fortune. We'll see tomorrow.

Joe
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yeah, you are right about the environmental conditions and differences.
Still, that would drive me nuts, knowing my property was rusting away.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:Yeah, you are right about the environmental conditions and differences.
Still, that would drive me nuts, knowing my property was rusting away.

It does.

Joe
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yeah, I'm one of those goobers that washes the undercarrige and paints it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just like with a GUN - if a CAR makes a funny noise - I've learned it is best to investigate pronto. I don't know anything about cars and can't fix them, but I do know I've saved money and kept safer because of that practice.

Next time you're feeling down about life in general, remember you DID have a guardian angel that day. God must be keeping you around for some reason!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang Joe, I'm sorry to hear this. Same for you Tycer... :(
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mescalero1 wrote:Yeah, I'm one of those goobers that washes the undercarrige and paints it.
Even better, if you can do it, spray it with Truck Bed Liner.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: What's next~or~Pathfinder follies, Chap II

Post by J Miller »

Chapter II

I called the dealer this morning and told him what happened. He was like: "Ok, what's new? This is common, they break all the time." Oh really ............. :x I didn't need to hear that. But then he goes on to tell me they keep the parts in stock. OK, that I did need to hear.
So for less than two C notes I have the "tension" bars, washers, bushings, nuts for both sides waiting to be picked up at the dealer. Before I leave I'll need to verify that I have the sockets and / or wrenches of the correct size then we'll hope for the best.

I'll keep you updated as I progress on this project.

Now for a message from our sponsor. Don't touch that dial.

Joe
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Tycer wrote:Had to hire a lawyer to communicate with my wife's siblings last week. $875 retainer.
I wrecked my cherry 49 Chevy yesterday. 'Bout a grand worth.
Saw an article today that the guy I gave a thousand dollars to order some Liberty Dollars is indicted in Federal court for those same Liberty Dollars.
My MIL went into assisted living today and won't be able to keep her PITA jack russel after all. I have a new dog.

I feel your pain.
Prayers sent. If you can swing it, go find a mountain and disappear for a while.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

joe and tycer, sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope the tide changes for you.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Old cars break - ask me how I know. I spent $11,000 keeping a 87 Cadillac I bought new on the road. It was great to 140,000 then one thing after another - always hoped it was the last thing.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Like mescalero, this is one of the many reasons why I am glad to live in NM where there isn't enough rain or snow to make anything rust. The only thing I have to worry about is rubber as the sun and drought sure to take the life away from tires and windshield wiper blades.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I remember full well how rigs would disolve in the midwest......We don't really have that problem out here...but: They sand the roads and we get windshield chips out the ying yang....The insurance fixes them for free, tho, because they don't want to pay for a whole windshield someday....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: What's next~or~Pathfinder follies, Epilog

Post by J Miller »

Epilogue.

Well, I can't do anything about the road salt. I can't do anything about the existing salt damage. It's just the way it is. As Blaine said the midwest is really bad about ruining cars. It's where I live now, so it's basically something we just live with. I don't like it, but there's nothing I can do about it.

After getting back from the dealer and the parts house I was just too exhausted to do anything. I crapped out and slept for a while. Then about 2:00 PM I got started. Very surprisingly I got the left side off, back on and done with only a bit of minor frustration. Because the lower control arm had moved around I had fits getting the bolts lined up in the new tension rod. That's what Nissan calls it.
In between her pizza deliveries my wife made a run to a hardware store to get me a 15/16" box wrench for the big nut at the rear of the rod. No room for a socket in there.
JReed said: "If it wouldn't break the bank I would go ahead and replace the right side just for peace of mind. It has the same years and miles as the other side so it would be suspect in my eyes."
Well he was absolutely correct. When I got the right side rod out it was worn about half way through. Not long for this world.

So I finished up with the tension rods and bushings about 6:30. And after getting the suspension greased while the tires were off I had it back on the ground around 7:30.

I'm done. Only one minor scrape. No broken parts, no banged heads. Nothing in my eyes. I'm amazed at how easy this job was.

Gonna go take a shower now and then go test drive the Pathfinder. Hopefully the front alignment isn't too far out now.

Joe
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: What's next~or~Pathfinder follies, Epilogue

Post by TedH »

Good job Joe. 8)
NRA Life Member
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

way to go
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yes! Accomplishment!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Joe,

Glad to hear it wasn't too bad.

I hate working on cars.

I can build you a house or a multi story building but when it comes
to anything more than two wheels, forget it!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That's awesome Joe glad to hear that it wasn't to much of a bear of a job. Usually when I am working on vehicles if I am not bleeding then I am doing some thing wrong. :lol: Hopefully the alignment is still good and you can truck it out to the shoot. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

J Miller wrote:

Well, I can't do anything about the road salt. I can't do anything about the existing salt damage. It's just the way it is. As Blaine said the midwest is really bad about ruining cars. It's where I live now, so it's basically something we just live with. I don't like it, but there's nothing I can do about it.
Midwest? I'd love to choke the retard that came up with the idea of eastern states being the "midwest". Illinois is NOT in the middle, and it's not in the west! Nevada is in the midwest.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Travis Morgan wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Midwest? I'd love to choke the retard that came up with the idea of eastern states being the "midwest". Illinois is NOT in the middle, and it's not in the west! Nevada is in the midwest.
I am right there with ya on that one. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JReed,

Our plans might have to be adjusted a wee bit. The parts took our hotel money so we may end up in a tent or just doing one day. We'll see tomorrow when I get the tent out and see if it's still usable. Been packed away for a long time.

Im not going to get the test drive done tonight, but tomorrow for sure. If it needs an alignment we'll see what we can get done. Hopefully it wont be too far off.

Joe
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

J Miller wrote:JReed,

Our plans might have to be adjusted a wee bit. The parts took our hotel money so we may end up in a tent or just doing one day. We'll see tomorrow when I get the tent out and see if it's still usable. Been packed away for a long time.

Im not going to get the test drive done tonight, but tomorrow for sure. If it needs an alignment we'll see what we can get done. Hopefully it wont be too far off.

Joe
If you need to borrow a tent I got you covered. I have a nice big one that I am not using on this run since I am borrowing a smaller two man from one of the guys at work.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis