OT maybe - What do you use for - Fun Shooting Drills?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT maybe - What do you use for - Fun Shooting Drills?

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's a couple we do:

1) My son and I will each either select our own gun, or one for each other, and we each get one shot at the "100-yard" gong from a standing position actually at 80 yards from the gongs. We may do it regardless of light or weather, so it becomes a good 'hunting' drill.

2) My wife and I used to take 10 bleach or other gallon plastic jugs and mark half with a large "X" on each side and half with a large "O", then one of us would run on a little 100-yard "loop" trail that runs in the brush beside the shooting range, and randomly toss them into the weeds. The other would take his/her handgun, and start around the trail, and upon finding a jug, see if it was an "X" or and "O" - if an "X" we would NOT shoot it (penalty 10 points), but if it was an "O" we'd try to shoot it and hit it IN the "O" (10 points) or at least HIT it (5 points). We'd note the time it took to complete the course of fire. Worked even for 5-shot revolvers (you'd not waste ammo!). Tons of fun. Good for a sort of 'personal defense' drill I suppose.

What other "drills" do you guys/gals find fun and useful, leverguns, SA's, or otherwise?

What drills does your local police department require for annual requalification? Some of my patients who are ordinary LEO's cite drills which are seemingly fairly easy.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: OT maybe - What do you use for - Fun Shooting Drills?

Post by Malamute »

Used to hunt bunnies with pistol and rifle. Running shots give good practise. When you get the hang of it, I can't figure out why folks use shotguns for small game. You can hit well just pointing on running shots, just like shooting a shotgun.

Used to practice long range with pistols some, out to 300 yards. Still do it a little. Been trying it one handed the past few years. Makes you really concentrate on the hold, sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze, etc.

Used to practice shooting cans thrown in the air. Been a while since I've done it, but have hit sticks and small stones tossed in the air when I've tried it recently. Have tried shooting clays in the air with 22 rifle. It's awful hard, but you can get the hang of it and hit them now and then.

We like to shoot at yucca stems, just below the seed pods. Fun to trade off the gun, everyone shooting the same one, or their own.

Have tried Keiths ideas about shooting left handed from a right hand draw holster, you end up having the gun upside down, pulling the trigger with your little finger. After a few hundred rounds thru the K-22, its gets a little easier to hit a barn, from up close, or maybe shotgun shells at 10 feet, after a few weeks or more of fooling with it.

Just draw and shoot is fun, point shooting. Like anything else, do it enough and it starts to work out.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Used to do the bowling pin matches, got pretty good at it.
Then the artsy /craftsy people discovered they could paint on old bowling pins, and we could not afford to utilize them as targets anymore
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I like to take a few of those bright yellow/green tennis balls and throw them out as far as I can and then shoot them with either a handgun or rifle and see if I can keep them moving and see how far out I can push them and still hit them. Sometimes I wait for them to stop rolling before I shoot them and other times I try to shoot them while they are moving. Keeps the eye in condition so-to-speak. Of course I do this on a field that I know ricochets (sp?) won't be a problem.
ED
Yer never too old
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Empty shotgun shell that people usually let lay around..throw a hand full out there and it's good handgun practice..... Clay birds help your hand eye coordination, too.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Almost 20 years ago, fresh out of college and into the working world, I met a guy who had been a Navy SEAL. He lived to be under water. If he could have spent every waking hour diving he would have been happy. He wanted to try out for the dive-rescue team for the local sheriff's department, but had only fired handguns in the Navy, and was only familiar with pistols. The sheriff's department allowed only revolvers at the time. My background was mostly shooting revolvers, since when my father was in the FBI these were the standard handguns, so that is what I cut my teeth on. I agreed to help him learn to shoot a revolver proficiently if he'd do the same for me with a pistol. Fairly easy task on my part as he was an excellent pistol shot (again, all learned in the Navy). We used to practice a room clearing exercise by setting up a bunch of balloons on the upper and lower tiers of the backstop. We'd then go back to the 50-foot line, with our backs to the target. He'd yell "high" or "low", and we'd turn around and run to the 21 foot/7-yard combat line. The run was short, but got your heart going a bit. If he had yelled "high", he'd take the upper set and I'd clear the lower set - after sliding to a knee first, as he was right over my head. The opposite happened if he yelled "low", with me standing and clearing the targets while right above him. The point we ran to was "framed" with something three feet apart, so was to represent a doorway and tight quarters. This was a lot of fun!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Almost 20 years ago, fresh out of college and into the working world, I met a guy who had been a Navy SEAL. He lived to be under water. If he could have spent every waking hour diving he would have been happy. He wanted to try out for the dive-rescue team for the local sheriff's department, but had only fired handguns in the Navy, and was only familiar with pistols. The sheriff's department allowed only revolvers at the time. My background was mostly shooting revolvers, since when my father was in the FBI these were the standard handguns, so that is what I cut my teeth on. I agreed to help him learn to shoot a revolver proficiently if he'd do the same for me with a pistol. Fairly easy task on my part as he was an excellent pistol shot (again, all learned in the Navy). We used to practice a room clearing exercise by setting up a bunch of balloons on the upper and lower tiers of the backstop. We'd then go back to the 50-foot line, with our backs to the target. He'd yell "high" or "low", and we'd turn around and run to the 21 foot/7-yard combat line. The run was short, but got your heart going a bit. If he had yelled "high", he'd take the upper set and I'd clear the lower set - after sliding to a knee first, as he was right over my head. The opposite happened if he yelled "low", with me standing and clearing the targets while right above him. The point we ran to was "framed" with something three feet apart, so was to represent a doorway and tight quarters. This was a lot of fun!
Something's wrong with your friends story Kid. If he had really been a Navy SEAL, he fired much more than handguns. He would have fired all kinds of shotguns, rifles, etc..
ED
Yer never too old
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Pop squirrels in the rear with rat shot to get them to stop eating my pecans. :evil:
"That'll Be The Day"