Levergun chambered for 44 Special...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Levergun chambered for 44 Special...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I seem to remember that there's one or two leverguns chamberd for 44 Special = like Uberti 1866's maybe?

I'd like one that could handle the same loads as my Ruger flat top that I just got. Even if it was "just" the Skeeter load of 7.5 Grains of Unique under a 250 (mine cast out at 260 grains) Keith bullet.

Any ideas, comments?

Wish Marlin would chamber their 94 in this caliber. I could settle for a 44 Mag... I guess. ;)

ETA - snooped around and found this imediately at Buffalo Arms - they have the 1866's too - both are over $1K.... a little more than I like to spend...

Purty though...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BigMuddy
Levergunner

Re: Levergun chambered for 44 Special...

Post by BigMuddy »

Those Uberti's are the only ones I am aware of that are in 44 Special. The Marlin is the way to go, although some don't feed specials very good.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I love my Trapper in .44 mag/spl. Feeds and shoots specials real good! :D
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Cimarron has the 73 in 44 spec., or maybe it's Taylors.

Why not save some money and use a 92/44. I shoot specials in mine, no problem.
The 92 is lighter in weight also. I have a 73 Carbine in 44-40. It is one pound heavier than the 92. The 73 24" border rifle is one pound heavier than my carbine.

I only use my 73 for CAS matches.

The 92/44 is my go-to, most used pistol caliber rifle. It also compliments my Ruger SBH wonderfully. I can shoot Specials or Mag's, my choice. I shoot more Specials than Mag.s.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm very partial to the Marlin 94. That's probably the route I'll go. But first, I need to figure out what to sacrifice to get the $$ for the Marlin.... I'm really really trying not to spend more money on my collection - it gets out of hand! Especially when all you talk to about it is "enablers" :lol:

And yes, it takes one to know one ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Be careful with a Marlin with .44 Specs in it. I tried a handload with a 200-grain jacketed bullet in a Spec case; the OAL must have been too short, as the thing jammed up to where I had to disassemble it to un-jam.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yeah, that can happen. That's why I'd really like to see them make on chambered for the .44 Special - and to be sure that bullets like the Keith style with long noses will cycle correctly.

Oh well, we're never happy are we? :P
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:Be careful with a Marlin with .44 Specs in it. I tried a handload with a 200-grain jacketed bullet in a Spec case; the OAL must have been too short, as the thing jammed up to where I had to disassemble it to un-jam.

Thats strange really. I hear stuff like that frequently but the two are very close in OAL. the 44 special runs a max 1.615" & the Magnum, 1.61". The difference is the case length more than the COAL. The 38 vs 357 is similar. A marlin shouldn't care about case length anyway unless its too long.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have a browning 92 in 44 mag. Its been many years since I tried specials in it, but I ran into a little trouble feeding with them. Maybe I should work with it again in specials and try to come up with something that works better, after all the 44 special is my favorite handgun and I have 6 of them. I am going to get with the program, I just now talked myself into it!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bogus, you have too many. You should run that 4 3/4" Colt down to me. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The only way I could get my B-92 to feed Keith style at all was sto put them in 44Sp cases. It fed them grudgingly but it did feed them. l\Later decided to use 44 M cases and a more appropriate bullet (which I'm still looking for :mrgreen: )
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

If you get the Marlin, get a later model with Ballard cut rifling rather than the micro-groove rifling of the earlier models. If you have to load the 44 Special to a longer OAL to get it to feed right, the heavier projectile may not work well with the Micro-groove ---- and i have also been warned to stay away from lead with the microgroove unless i wanted to be shooting a smooth bore after 30 or so rounds (figuratively, not literally)
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The micro groove shoots lead fine as long as it is a couple of thousands over size.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yes I can attest that microrgroove barrels shoot hardcast bullet well if they are sized right. The microgroove rifling is more sensistive to the size of the hardcast bullet but that's the extent of it.

The much bigger issue to me is the rate of twist. I don't know why Marlin and others persist in 1:38" twist rates for the 44 mag. I think that the new Rossi models have the slower 1:20 (?) twist?

There's just no good reason to stick to the old 44-40 twist rate - surely they can afford to change the equipment.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My 92 Rossi 44, feeds and functions both 44 spec. and mags. with Keith style SWC just fine.
I use a 240 gr. SWC.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Lefty Dude wrote:Cimarron has the 73 in 44 spec., or maybe it's Taylors.

Why not save some money and use a 92/44. I shoot specials in mine, no problem.
The 92 is lighter in weight also. I have a 73 Carbine in 44-40. It is one pound heavier than the 92. The 73 24" border rifle is one pound heavier than my carbine.

I only use my 73 for CAS matches.

The 92/44 is my go-to, most used pistol caliber rifle. It also compliments my Ruger SBH wonderfully. I can shoot Specials or Mag's, my choice. I shoot more Specials than Mag.s.
Regarding the 92s, amen to all that....not to mention stronger if you want to warm a load up a bit. Yes, Cimarron (and maybe other Uberti distributors like Taylor's) offers the 73 in the .44 Special.