OT - Breakfast

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Breakfast

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Now I love a big breakfast as much as any other man....since we visited about fried steak last week I thought what the heck...I am medically retired and the boss works in the school system. She is outta the house before 7am...so I'm on my own if I want a big breakfast (she cooks a darn good one on Saturday mornings). Most of the time I just eat toast or biscuits. This morning I fixed eggs fried with ham chunks and chopped green onions, strong coffee and bread. Now I'm telling ya the onions reminded me of the old days (eggs and onions).....well shredded wheat in the morning.....gotta go fold the laundry......it is hard being a house husband....maybe a short nap first....

jumbeaux
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Breakfast

Post by Rusty »

Yep and nothing rounds out a good breakfast like grits. Now I'll tell y'all I found out the secret of making not just good grits or even great grits, I'm talking DEEVINE grits.

The secret is making the grits the night before. I'm not talking about those instant things that look like some kind of ant poison I'm talking about real honest to corn grits. Bring 'em to a boil just like it says on the bag, yep the real ones come in bags not boxes. After they come to a boil put 'em into the family crock pot and turn it on low. Now go to bed. When you get up the next morning those will be the sweetest most tender grits you've ever sopped a biscuit with. Be sure to make them a little bit wetter than you normally would and use plenty of butter right off the bat.
Now I gotta go to bed.

nite,nite
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

For breakfast nothing beats a ham and cheese omelet (3 eggs please) and a short stack of pancakes. Add a glass of OJ and maybe a cup of hot chocolate and it is pretty good indeed. Heck, it is good for lunch and dinner, too!

For the wife you can sub grits for pancakes. In fact, if you scramble the eggs and served with bacon she'll just dump the eggs in her bowl (large) of grits and eat them all together. She HAS to have a big steaming cup of coffee, black, with that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Get some good bacon, cut it up in small strips 1/8 inch wide cook the bacon in frying pan.
Cut up some green onions the same way or smaller, crack two eggs in the pan, add the bacon & green onions,scramble it all up together.
Good stuff Maynard
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

The last Sunday of each month at church we have a men's breakfast. We always cook ham, sausage, bacon, eggs, grits, hash browns, biscuits and sausage gravy. Several times a year we add pancakes. The coffee, milk and OJ flow along with the discussion about the Lord. I have been cooking there for 26 years......one of my favorite Sundays I must add. Ya'll need to try garlic cheese grits......make up your grits (cook), add a tube of good Kraft garlic cheese all cut up and a beaten egg. Mix everything and put in a greased pan and bake for about 45 minutes at 350*......if ya like add a little shredded cheese on top......

jumbeaux

ps....the boss just came in and announced chicken and dressing for supper......
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Grits and a couple of eggs fried in the bacon grease is good eatin' but there ain't nothing like fried pork chops with grits and tomato gravy. all good Florida crackers are raised on that.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

A big glass of tomato juice or orange juice followed by 3-eggs up, hashbrowns, bacon (4-slices), toast (with grape jelly), and coffee.
ED
Yer never too old
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Knock it off guys, this is one of those drool postings! At my age it's whole wheat cereal with 2% milk.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Please don't tell me that is what I have to look forward to.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Hey mescalero, if you just keep up with the good food you grew up with you'll be alright. I ain't a doctor but at 70 I still eat all the venison, steak, and pork chops I want. Just stay active and go ahead and enjoy good food.
Red meat and bacon keep us going, grass and grain is for cattle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Whew!
Thought this is going to get real boring.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

1# ground sausage (I like Maple smoked), 1# bacon cut into 1/2-3/4" pieces (again, I go for Maple smoked), 1 bag hash browns (the cubed kind, not the "hash" kind if that makes sense), 1 dozen eggs.

Brown the bacon and sausage in an iron skillet, drain some of the grease off, add hash browns and cook until they are thawed (since I usually dump them out of the bag straight from the freezer :mrgreen: ). Beat the eggs (a little half and half or creamer added is nice) and pour over the bacon, sausage, hash brown mix. Cover with foil and bake at 350 until it sets. Uncover and brown the top.

The time will vary based on the actual amount of ingredients used (I usually double everything :lol: ) but it's usually 45 to 90 minutes.

Mmmm, mmm good! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Wow Andy that was close. For a minute thee I thought you were going to to give us a recipe for quiche.

We have two local restaurants that have grits and tomato gravy, both owned by the same guy. One is a buffet type place that serves three squares a day. the other is a bar b que place.
Thanks for reminding me Jerry I need to get by there for a fix. does your wife have a recipe for tomato gravy? I've never made it before.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Rusty wrote:Wow Andy that was close. For a minute thee I thought you were going to to give us a recipe for quiche.
Now see here, quiche is good for something...bait maybe? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

How about a 6 Egg white "Denver style" omelet with low fat cheese, Healthy choice shredded ham, diced peppers, onions and 'shrooms. On the side, have half a sprouted grain roll and wash it down with a big glass of non-fat milk (or mineral water) !!! :lol: yes-- this is a real breakfast for me

Dont laugh too hard --- i need to lose 50 pounds :oops:
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Some kind of Hobo Hash....fry the taters and two or three kinds of meat, onion, green pepper, garlic, red pepper, black pepper, heck, any spices that trip your trigger. When that's about done crack eggs into it to your heart's content (no pun intended :P ) Grate great cheese all over the top when it's done..Lot's of ketchup and hot sauce.... A little milk gravey and some mayo bisquets don't hurt either....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Well boys it's a big pancake for me in the winter when I'm heating with the wood stoves. Slathered with Maple syrup and a quart of cold orange juice. One twelve incher seems to be about right. Watch yer top knots (and cholesterol). Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Olive, mushroom pizza this AM. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Olive/mushroom pizza :shock:
Too much west coast influence?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Oh no, this is the oily kind that the Hungarians and some Italians made in the east. NJ was my home south of Trenton. The pizza out here is completely different. But there is Barone's. But if you get back there I'll have my brother take you for the current best.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Thank you, a most generous offer but, it is my intent to never go east of the Canadian River again.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty, to make tomato gravy you just add a couple of spoons of flour to the frying pan after you take out the pork chops or pork steak {both are great fried in a big iron skillet], stir in the flour and add a big can of tomatos cover a big pile of grits with the gravy and then dig in.Son, that is good eatin'.