OT - Fried Steak

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Fried Steak

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Dan's Ranger post and the replies got me to thinking about fried steak. Not the battered chicken fried kind but the kind my mother used to cook. She would start out with a piece of good beef...sometimes round steak or sometimes ribeye (my dad had a small grocery store and we raised our own beef)...she would beat the heck out of it with a small saucer (edge) until it was thinned out and almost coming apart. Then she would dip it in sweet milk and seasoned flour (non rising flour with salt and pepper), shake off the excess and fry it in a cast iron skillet in oil. She would take the steak out and put it on butcher paper on a heavy plate in a warm oven. She would pour off most of the drippings leaving the crunchys and make milk gravy (cream/white gravy). She would pour up in a bowl the amount of milk she wanted, added seasoned flour into the drippings in the hot skillet and mix the flour until smooth then pour the milk in stirring all the time. The longer it heated the thicker the gravy. She would also fry irish taters and onions in a big cast iron skillet in bacon drippings. She would cover the skillet with sliced taters then sliced onions then sliced taters and cook. She would turn them only once in a feat that would make one big skillet sized piece. The taters on the outside would be brown and crispy and the onions and taters on the inside would be soft and moist. Add in the always present skillet cooked in the oven of cornbread and man some sweet tea.....about the only place I know of that cooks steak and gravy this way is in Strawn, Texas at Mary's...if you are around that part of the state try it......I'm hungry now....

jumbeaux
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Fried Steak

Post by mescalero1 »

Man,
That sounds good!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

We'll be leaving the house in about an hour for lunch downtown at the "Wagon Wheel" Restaurant. I know your recipie wasn't for Chicken Fried Steak but the closest they will be able to come to it will be Chicken Fried Steak so it looks like I'll be having Chicken Fried Steak for lunch. Sure beats a Grilled Ham and Cheese sand-o that I was going to have.
ED
Yer never too old
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jimbeaux,
Somewhere between Amarillo and Sweetwater, ( small town ) I can't remember where; is a restaraunt called Mrs.Braumly's ( not sure of spelling) it is in an old two story house, not a commercial building.
Local women do the cooking, it is just the best food I have ever had; and I used to travel for work quite a bit.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Remember Hee-Haw --- YUM YUM!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

mescalero1 wrote:Jimbeaux,
Somewhere between Amarillo and Sweetwater, ( small town ) I can't remember where; is a restaraunt called Mrs.Braumly's ( not sure of spelling) it is in an old two story house, not a commercial building.
Local women do the cooking, it is just the best food I have ever had; and I used to travel for work quite a bit.
That kinda sounds like a place in Canyon, TX that closed down about 5 years ago.

My mom still cooks fried steak like that and the gravy. :P
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

morgan in nm,
Thanks, it's a shame it closed if it is the one.
Some good food came out of that place.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Think she would trade a 3/4 ton Dodge truck load of firewood for a steak & gravy?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You might get the steak and gravy but unless it had a full tank of hi test you wouldn't get the taters.

The best country fried steak around here comes from a Bar B Que place if you can believe that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

My daughter in law cooks venison this way....she adds a little bit of garlic powder to the flour. She also soaks the venison in the ice box overnight in sweet milk. She cuts the venison in strips after she tenderizes them with a meat hammer and kinda makes steak fingers. She also does the gravy but she makes mashed taters. My grandchildren likes it better than just about anything...

jumbeaux
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I meant the firewood, not the whole truck.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Dang you!!! I was going to get along on a half a peanut butter sandwich until dinner. Now I have to go fire up the grille . :D :D :D
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Just got back from town and sure enough, I had Chicken Fried Steak at the "Wagon Wheel". Thanks for putting that thought into my mind.
ED
Yer never too old
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Try the Chicken Fried Steak at Bill's in Mesa Ariz... MASSIVE &Tasty.. Everything is good there and there's always plenty of it..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Chicken Fried Steak rules. :P :P :P :P

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like it just rubbing in the spices and searing it brown on each side in a hot cast iron....Usually hot and red/juicy in middle and tender. The milk gravy gets made from the scratchin's......Baked or fried taters......All of a sudden the pizza I had for dinner didn't taste that good :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV