Good Loads.. 405gr 444 Marlin..?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Good Loads.. 405gr 444 Marlin..?

Post by LeverBob »

Howdy fellers!
Need some suggested loads for .444 Marlin using BB 405 gr. WLNGC.
Got any? :?: Trying 50 of em' for a heavy stopper load.

LeverBob
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

This is a new one on me! Ain't never seen or heard of a 44 caliber bullet weighing 405 grains
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The old .44-77 and .44-90 used bullets in that weight range, possibly even heavier. One of the reasons I've never been particularly interested in this chambering. Other than shooting pistol bullets, there hasn't been much devloped for it. And as Speer notes in their #10 Reloading Manual: "Heavier bullets would make the 444 a more useful big game caliber. ... Even if a heavier bullet were usable, it would have no particular advantage over the already well established .45-70." Overall cartridge length was its major limitation in my mind, and while a single shot .44 would be interesting, the two above would adequately fill the bill.

As I look at this topic, and think about all the "apparent" duplications of cartridges over the past several years; the WSMs, WSSMs, and then reflect back on the BP cartridges of the 19th Century, I don't see a lot of difference. In reflecting on the 1876 and its .45-75 cartridge, I wonder what were the limiting factors against just making the action long enough to handle the .45-70? Maybe one of you engineering types could expain that in English (that I'd understand - nothing above HS Algebra - I was a history major)! :P

Maybe its always been about the "Marketing" of product.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have those bullets on order. Going to make a load for my Redhawk. I ordered 355g for comparison tests. It's going to be interesting.

I am also interested in any load information available.

Grizz
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

It is my humble opinion only, but anyone owning a .444 should read Marshall Stantons' tech notes on his site. He has a III part series apptly called " The .444 Marlin Americas most versatile big bore". Leverbob here is a link to some load data you requested.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_no ... tes.htm/28

BTW you did not state what your rifling twist rate is. If it is the older 1/38" twist you will not be able to use these bullets. But if it is the newer 1/20" you will be ok.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

.444 heavy bullet loads

Post by LeverBob »

Howdy Grizz & 336A!

Already have the articles printed up in my .444 book from Stanton years ago. I have a 444P Outfitter. 1 to 20" twist & ported.
His articles stated that Re7 is the best powder (in his limited testing).
I'm hoping one of you guys have tried H335 or 332. Or, how about VV120 & 130. 4198 anyone?
Thanks for the replies boys! :)

LeverBob
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

LeverBob, sorry that I can't offer any more help. I don't have a .444 Marlin yet but someday I will rectify that. Thing is there just ain't nothin' around my parts that warrants that much killin'. :lol: But there is just something about the .444 that keeps calling to me.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

336A A cool handle!

Post by LeverBob »

When you get an itch, scratch it. Make it a mission, believe me bro, you won't be sorry if you get a .444. Even if you don't have the game for it in your area, there's always someplace else. The future may hold some good things for you & if so, then you'll be ready with the mighty .444 Marlin.
Here's hoping-eh?
:wink:
LeverBob
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

336- my sentiments exactly freind. I use to know a fellow who shot small deer with one in Scotland but got rid because it knocked the snot out of them to much! I though would of loaded it with cast for sure to prevent that instead of selling it. It,s like Scot and others have said once you get to those size bullets rapid expansion is not required. There is a 94 black shadow for sale miles away in the south of England thank the Lord :roll: It.s price has been falling too :roll: I have a bag of brass :roll: bloody hell...... :?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .444 heavy bullet loads

Post by Grizz »

LeverBob wrote:Howdy Grizz & 336A!

Already have the articles printed up in my .444 book from Stanton years ago. I have a 444P Outfitter. 1 to 20" twist & ported.
His articles stated that Re7 is the best powder (in his limited testing).
I'm hoping one of you guys have tried H335 or 332. Or, how about VV120 & 130. 4198 anyone?
Thanks for the replies boys! :)

LeverBob
LeverBob,

My handgun load will probably need a much different powder burn rate than your .444 load. I don't think our load data will be similar.

My son has a Marlin 1895 444. Sweet carbine.

Grizz