Lookit I picked up today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Lookit I picked up today

Post by Leverdude »

I had a couple guns at my smith getting blued & assembled. They started as empty actions I won on auction at MO.

The 444 is complete & the 30/30 I just need to finnish fitting the forend. I got it as close as I could without the barrel installed. The 444 forend is a reworked factory piece & the buttstock a Boyds semi inletted piece. The 30/30 is flopped around, the butstock is reworked factory & the forend came with the Boyds set.

30/30 LSG, (Leverdude straight grip) :mrgreen:

Now I need 444 dies & brass! :P
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lookit I picked up today

Post by mescalero1 »

Nice
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's purrrty.... (that steel butt is gonna leave a mark :lol: :P )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice Stuff!!!!

Love that stock!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

nice lookin wood on that but stock. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

BlaineG wrote:That's purrrty.... (that steel butt is gonna leave a mark :lol: :P )

Yeah, its not bad on a thirty thirty though. I was tempted to put that one on the 444 but chickened out. :lol: Beyond 30/30 they just arent fun for me anymore.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Leverdude wrote:
BlaineG wrote:That's purrrty.... (that steel butt is gonna leave a mark :lol: :P )

Yeah, its not bad on a thirty thirty though. I was tempted to put that one on the 444 but chickened out. :lol: Beyond 30/30 they just arent fun for me anymore.
A couple years ago, I benched the 336 with the hard rubber plate, prolly a hundred rounds or more fired, (Ranch Dog Postal Match) and was surprised how sore I got.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

BlaineG wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

A couple years ago, I benched the 336 with the hard rubber plate, prolly a hundred rounds or more fired, (Ranch Dog Postal Match) and was surprised how sore I got.

Too much of anythings not good for ya. :wink: Wuss. :twisted:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nice setup! Bet that crescent will remind you it's a .444 when you shoot it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

That is a fine looking piece of walnut on that 30-30 Ken. That rifle will turn head's I am betting.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Leverdude wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

Too much of anythings not good for ya. :wink: Wuss. :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I freely admit to being a little recoil shy.....After an afternoon of shooting my 45-70, 444, 405 and .44 Mag, I'm always a little sore (and that's usually on top of a few dozen clays with a light 12 SxS :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

marlinman93 wrote:Nice setup! Bet that crescent will remind you it's a .444 when you shoot it!
Ya got that right. Nice guns. :mrgreen:
ED
Yer never too old
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

marlinman93 wrote:Nice setup! Bet that crescent will remind you it's a .444 when you shoot it!

The 444 has a Marlin factory pad on it, the crescents a 30/30. I'm not a masochist or whatever. :lol:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

BlaineG wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: I freely admit to being a little recoil shy.....After an afternoon of shooting my 45-70, 444, 405 and .44 Mag, I'm always a little sore (and that's usually on top of a few dozen clays with a light 12 SxS :P

I'm fine with most things leveraction, but a steady diet of 45/70 peppy loads or even hot 44's out of my 1894 will let me know I was shooting for a day or two. My hunting load I settled on it 53 grains of 3031 under a 350 Hornady & I cant plink much with that one. Burning 50+ grains of powder playing gets expensive anyway but it starts to hurt, especially in a tee shirt, pretty quick. Never fired a 444 before but I dont think I'd do it alot with a steel plate on it & I dont plan on loading it down much. I plan on useing both these as hunting guns. They are nice but I dont really have that much in them. The 30/30 seems right in my comfort zone with the crescent plate. I did it to another one & like it alot. They fit me.

Me & the kids shot at some clays last time wewere at camp. I'm headed up tommorow & will probly do it again. I never tried it before but we had fun. I bought a cheap spring loaded thrower thing from china,,,um,,er,, Walmart. My biggest kid smoked me though. I did better for about the first 10 or 12 birds until he found his groove & then it was all over. He gets on em quick!
I'm going to start going to a local range on Tuesday afternoons & see if I cant get better at it. :mrgreen:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sweet deal Leverdude :)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice looking work and wood ya got there, Leverdude. Really like the buttstock on the 30/30.

I love the looks of crescent buttplates. I have one on my Miroku '86 in 45/90. Even using Kirks placement on my bicep I can't shoot hot loads out of it very long. Even hot 45/70 loads will knock ya pretty hard.
Old Law Dawg
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Leverdude wrote:
BlaineG wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: I freely admit to being a little recoil shy.....After an afternoon of shooting my 45-70, 444, 405 and .44 Mag, I'm always a little sore (and that's usually on top of a few dozen clays with a light 12 SxS :P

I'm fine with most things leveraction, but a steady diet of 45/70 peppy loads or even hot 44's out of my 1894 will let me know I was shooting for a day or two. My hunting load I settled on it 53 grains of 3031 under a 350 Hornady & I cant plink much with that one. Burning 50+ grains of powder playing gets expensive anyway but it starts to hurt, especially in a tee shirt, pretty quick. Never fired a 444 before but I dont think I'd do it alot with a steel plate on it & I dont plan on loading it down much. I plan on useing both these as hunting guns. They are nice but I dont really have that much in them. The 30/30 seems right in my comfort zone with the crescent plate. I did it to another one & like it alot. They fit me.

Me & the kids shot at some clays last time wewere at camp. I'm headed up tommorow & will probly do it again. I never tried it before but we had fun. I bought a cheap spring loaded thrower thing from china,,,um,,er,, Walmart. My biggest kid smoked me though. I did better for about the first 10 or 12 birds until he found his groove & then it was all over. He gets on em quick!
I'm going to start going to a local range on Tuesday afternoons & see if I cant get better at it. :mrgreen:

Ask Blaine about my Ruger #1 and the full house loads in it?
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Beautiful! That's a pair to be proud of!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ask Blaine about my Ruger #1 and the full house loads in it?
Never again.....I can't remember if I shot 3 or 4, but it was plenty enough. Dang things hurt bad :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Oops! Oldtimers hits me again! That will be much better with the pad!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! 8)