twist rates and bullet weights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

twist rates and bullet weights

Post by El Chivo »

I'm going to be trying out the 140 grain Barnes bullets in my 35 Rem to see if I can make it condor-ready. I want to avoid as much experimentation as possible what with the bullets being $1.00 and the primer shortage.

My 336's twist rate is 1:16, geared for the heavier bullets. I'm thinking that if I back off on the velocity, the rate of spin might be close. Or am I just as likely to find an accuracy point with the bullets spinning faster (i.e., higher velocity)? Any idea what velocity range might give me the best accuracy?

I have some 200 grain spire points also but don't think they will work out as they will only expand at 1800 fps or better. But the 140's are pistol bullets and will expand at 900 fps, and I can load them in the mag.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bear 45/70

Re: twist rates and bullet weights

Post by Bear 45/70 »

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:I'm going to be trying out the 140 grain Barnes bullets in my 35 Rem to see if I can make it condor-ready.
I didn't know you could hunt condors with a rifle... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd stick with 190-200 gr. bullets in the .35 Rem., as that's what it's designed for. The lighter bullets will be overdriven, and you'll actually have to drop the charge and velocity to get any sort of accuracy out of those light bullets.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've read that it is actually bullet LENGTH which is of concern with the twist rate. Being that we used cup and core or lead bullets for so long, the weight had become the common reference. OVER stabilization isn't as much a problem as understabilization, IME. There is another bugaboo you're ignoring. Likely those 140 gr. bullets for the .357 Mag aren't intended to be driven as fast as they could be driven. I would contact Barnes about a suitable bullet.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I'd have to agree with Hobie. Lots of express BP cartridges used very slow twists, and light for caliber bullets. And yes, the formula is based on bullet length per caliber, not weight. I wouldn't see any reason that a 1-16 twist wouldn't accommodate a 140 gr bullet. Especially since the .32 special was a 1:16 and was loaded with a lead based 170 gr bullet which is comparatively shorter than an equal weight copper pill.

Besides, what you are after is basically the twist of the .357 mag right? Well, Colt runs 1-14 twist, while Ruger and Smith run a 1-18.75 twist. So 1-16 is right in the ball park for that bullet. I don't know if you follow my train of thought here, but I would definitely give it a try...so you have to load a box or two to get a decent load..not a bad price to pay to keep the rifle working. But I'm sure someone on here would trade you a more adaptable 30-30 for your .35 :mrgreen:

Ed
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks for the link, Bear..... :wink: I appreciated it, anyway 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

BlaineG wrote:Thanks for the link, Bear..... :wink: I appreciated it, anyway 8)

I actually have a twist rate calculator in my computer. I down loaded it off a gun site that is now gone.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Likely those 140 gr. bullets for the .357 Mag aren't intended to be driven as fast as they could be driven. I would contact Barnes about a suitable bullet.
I did e-mail Ty over there several times about it. I don't want to go back until I've at least tested it out. One thing they do say in their FAQ is the bullets can be driven. The 44 versions are tested in 444 Marlin.

I'm also wondering how the sizing will affect it - .357 vs. .358. But I guess it's time to load up a few.

Sticking to the 200's is an option, but like I said, they need 1800 fps to open up, so after 50-75 yards they may not be going fast enough to expand. And they're spire points. I may load up a couple for defense but if I want a full magazine I'll have to try the hollow points.

Hey, trading my 35 is not out of the question, but it should make a nice silhouette machine if I can't get a good hunting load for it. Also, I'm on the borderline, so I could hunt with lead over in the San Bernadino area if I really want to.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Remember, too, that VELOCITY affects the RPM you'll get for a given twist.

Also, that if something worked very well, likely someone would have already figured it out, and the thing would be commonly done, so unless your needs are very unique, the same old combinations 'everyone' uses are probably hard to beat.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "