OT - 475, 480 Ruger, 50 S&W, 50 Action Express

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - 475, 480 Ruger, 50 S&W, 50 Action Express

Post by rjohns94 »

The threads on the .475 Linbaugh are generating some questions for me. I saw some .475 and .480 and 50 s&W rounds, all about same size and weight. Anyone know the general specs of factory ammo for these rounds, and the various pistols available for each?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - 475, 480 Ruger, 50 S&W, 50 Action Express

Post by 2ndovc »

I had a .480 Rossi carbine that I bought from Gary W./ 1886.
It was a beautiful rifle and worked over by a pro but it was the most
abusive rifle I've ever fired.

I can shoot my .450 Marlin, .303 Enfield Jungle carbine, Model 38 Mosin Nagant all day
but that .480 was just no fun. 'Bout gave it away!

I can just imagine that thing in pistol form. Ugh!

There's lots of those revolvers out there but not for me.
And I like a good kick! May have been just that
particular rifle.
Don't know
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

yeah, i saw a stainless .480 Rossi this past weekend, and thats what had me looking at the various ammo, as I had not seen one. The 475 has always been on my drool list. I through the half inchers in there just because the Freedom arms is available in the .50 action express. Thanks for the info. the 475 might be the ticket
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Well if you get a 480/475 let me know.

I still have two part boxes of ammo left. It's all yours if you want it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've shot the S&W 500 in the X Frame and I owned a BFR in 45-70 that I shot some max loads out of.....They are a handful, but for me, with a thin leather glove, were not abusive. If there is a better crafted pistol than the BFR, it's WAY more money, but prolly not more quality.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

think I found my answer in the following data. The 480 ruger is a short 475 linbaugh and can be shot in those pistols, power less than .454 Casull. The 475 is about the best of power and size but the .454 seems to have more energy??? Who knew?? :lol:

I am going to go with the 475 - will be trading into one this weekend I'm thinking.

480 Ruger
The Ruger .480 cartridge was developed by Hornady and Ruger came up with a revolver to fire it. The .480 is essentially the short version of the Linebaugh .475. Ruger changed the name from .475 Ruger to .480 Ruger to give the cartridge a unique identity, but the actual bullet diameter is .475 inches, and .480 Ruger cartridges can be chambered and fired in .475 Linebaugh revolvers. It's power lies between the .44 magnum and the .454 Casull so don't let the numbers fool you.

.454 Casull
Developed in 1957, the .454 Casull can deliver a 250 grain (16 g) bullet with a muzzle velocity of over 1900 feet per second (580 m/s), developing more than 2000 ft lbs (2,700 J) of energy, although energy levels from common .454 revolvers with 7-8 inch barrels are typically somewhat lower (1,600-1,700 ft/lb). The round is primarily intended for hunting medium or large game and metallic silhouette shooting.

.460 S&W
Introduced in 2005, the .460 Smith and Wesson cartridge has the same diameter as a .45 Colt or .454 Casull, and therefore revolvers chambered for it will also chamber the .454 Casull and .45 Colt.

(left to right) .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W Magnum ammunition.

The .460 is the highest velocity revolver cartridge in the world, firing bullets at 2330 ft/s (710 m/s) and muzzle energy at ~2400 lbs.. While the .460 is not quite as powerful as its big brother the .500, the .460 is said to be more accurate at long distances due to the bullet's straighter trajectory, thereby making the round more suitable for hunting slightly smaller game at longer ranges.

.475 Linebaugh
John Linebaugh brought forth his big .475 revolver cartridge in 1988. Today, the .475 Linebaugh has been legitimized as a factory load, and Freedom Arms, who chambers their deluxe single action Model 83 5-shot revolver for the cartridge.

The .475 Linebaugh is, for now at least, probably the best chambering available for the most power in such a compact package. It is an excellent compromise between the velocity of the .454 Casull and the bullet weight and diameter of the .500 Linebaugh. The .475 Linebaugh also seems to be an inherently accurate cartridge. Unfortunately, the guns that fire this round are limited to a few makers and the costs to obtain these are very high.

The factory load uses a 400-grain bullet at a MV of 1300 fps and ME of 1501 ft. lbs.

Now we enter the .50 caliber range. The are quite a few different makes of the .50 such as S&W, Beowulf, Linebaugh, Wyoming Express, and the Action Express. Who knew there were so many choices!

Cartridge comparison (left to right): .44 Magnum, .50 Beowulf, .500 Linebaugh, .500 S&W.

.50 Action Express
Was developed in 1988 by Evan Whilden of Action Arms. Among the few commercial handgun cartridges designed that exceed its ballistic performance are the .454 Casull, 460 XVR and the .500 S&W.

.500 Wyoming Express
Developed in 2005, the cartridge is comparable in size to the .50 Action Express, but has higher powder loads and normally a lower velocity. Though not as powerful as the .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum, the .500 Wyoming Express is one of the most powerful handgun calibers available.

.50 Beowulf
It was originally designed to be used in a modified AR-15 .223 semiautomatic rifle, but is now offered for other guns, including Magnum Research's BFR revolver. The .50 Beowulf is approximately the same size as the .500 Smith and Wesson Magnum, though not as powerful.

.500 Linebaugh
The 500 Linebaugh has proved to be a very successful round pushing 500 grain bullets over 1200 fps. Accuracy is outstanding, but recoil can only be described as severe. This cartridge could prove to be an excellent heavy game handgun cartridge and possibly the revolver cartridge suitable for taking African game. These bullets have been found to be excellent performers both in terms of accuracy and penetration.

Like the .475 Linebaugh, the guns that fire this round are limited to a few makers and the costs to obtain these are very high.

.500 S&W Magnum
Introduced in 2003, currently only a handful of models have been introduced that fire this massive caliber, including the X-Frame Model 500 revolver from Smith & Wesson, researchesearch's "BFR" (Biggest, finest revolver), the Taurus Raging Bull and German Janz JTL-E 500. Each holds only five rounds to allow for thicker cylinder walls to accommodate the pressure generated by such a large and powerful cartridge.

The .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum can develop over 2,600 foot-pounds (3.5 kJ) of muzzle energy, nearly three times as much as the 900 ft·lb (1.2 kJ) generated by the .44 Magnum. This is a difference of over 600 foot-pounds (0.8 kJ) of energy more than the .454 Casull, the previous commercial record holder.

Despite initial concerns about recoil, professionals who have tested the caliber have stated its recoil to be less than the Ruger Redhawk chamber in .454 Casull. This is achieved through design features of the Smith & Wesson Model 500, including a muzzle brake, recoil reducing rubber grips, and considerable weight.

Other pistol rounds include: .50 Remington 12.90 (.508), .50 Alaskan. There are larger modern rounds as well, including .577 Tyrannosaur, .600 Nitro Express, .700 Nitro Express.

Conclusion
Overall, I was a little overwhelmed by the firepower that can be generated from a handgun. When taking all the numbers into account, I would select the S&W .460 magnum for performance and that fact that it can fire .45 Colt or .454 Casull rounds. So far, only S&W makes a handgun that can fire this round, but I would expect others to follow suit.

The S&W 460 comes in nine variations. The one shown the Model 460 XVR Revolver - 8 3/8" .

The Linebaugh cartridges (.475 and the .500), Action Express and Wyoming Express - along with the specialty handguns made for these rounds are excellent choices, if you have a deep pocket. The S&W .500 fills in this gap of big bore firepower, with a good selection of firearms like S&W, Taurus, and Magnum Research.

Below are some hand cannon reviews that I was able to locate on the web, enjoy!

Reviews

S&W XVR 460
Guns & Ammo
GunBlast
Louisianasportsman
American Handgunner

S&W 500
Guns & Ammo
GunBlast
Shooting Times

Taurus Raging Bull (S&W .500)
GunBlast

Freedom Arms Model 83 (.475 Linebaugh)
GunBlast

Custom Ruger Bisley revolver (.500 Linbaugh)
GunBlast

Freedom Arms' Model 83 (.500 Wyoming Express)
GunBlast
GunBlast (second article
Mike Johnson,

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

rjohns94,

There all darn nice guns.That 460 Smith would be a
great 200yd deer getter.
The only problem they are BIG size wise guns.
I got carried away several years back and walked
into my favorite gun shop and they had the new .454
Taurus Raging Bull SS 8 3/8 inch,I got carried away
and bought it.Its huge.Its nice and it shoots pretty
fast.I use a 240gr JHP W/39.0gr of H110 for 2100fps
But really I should have waited.You need to go look
at the 460 smith and pick it up etc.But before you buy
it please pick up a 4.75 inch Freedom Arms .475 or even
if you have to go a little cheaper, the 6 inch Magnum
Research .475. Spin the cylinders and look how they are
made.That .475 with the short barrel was designed as basically a 45-70 which is carried on the hip in a normal holster.
If I plan to shoot deer at more than 100yds or so I will
use my 45-70 rifle.I just wished after actually having/carrying/
using the big Raging Bull,I would have waited.I would be packing
that nice little (big power).475 in my regular pistol hip holster.
Best of Luck.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks for that advise. The 460 has more power but I am sure I don't want to have 8 inches of barrel on my hip. I like to carry these type pistols in a cross draw holster, so 5.5 -6 inch barrel is about max for comfort. The 6 inch Freedom Arms, with octagon barrel is "speaking" to me. :lol: The pistol won't be used to reach way out, but I am sure I will be wanting to use it as a "mate" to my 1886 and even perhaps used to take deer, boar, or just about anything else out to about 50 yards. I know there are many sub calibers that could do that but I am a big bore fanicier and the .475 Limbaugh has been on my list since '88 when it was introduced. I like also that the 480 ruger is a down sized version of that cartridge. I have owned three freedom arms pistols in the past and I am aware of their quality. I read Jeff Quinn's article on gunblast on that combo last night and Bogie liked it so much he bought the test pistol. I don't have a need for the .50 calibers but the 475 fits right into my plans for where I hope to hunt in the future and the type of game I will be going after, and the conditions. Thanks again
Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon May 11, 2009 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Johnson,

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

The PileDriver we shot from Blaine's BFR lobbed itself at 1313 fps. That's 525g at 1313 fps. That sounds to me like a lot more ooomph than the .460 Smith. It was very comfortable to shoot, but the long barrel helped on that score.

Grizz
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i was just going by the info above, bullets moving "at 2330 ft/s (710 m/s) and muzzle energy at ~2400 lbs". the 475 comes in at "The factory load uses a 400-grain bullet at a MV of 1300 fps and ME of 1501 ft. lbs".
Mike Johnson,

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

oops, yeah I meant to compare to the .475 I guess. there is a substantial difference on fist size granite rocks between 425g bullets and 525g bullets is what I guess I'm remembering.

I always thought the .480 was a great step up and the ruger makes a good double action for it..

I'm sure you'll get a kick out of whatever you get next :)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Mike, IMHO, the 454 Casull in a Freedom Arms is the way to go if you want a powerful revolver. Rossi makes the 454 Casull Puma to go with, so you have that as well.

I think the massive S&W X frame revolvers are too much of a good thing - and ditto on the .460 S&W.

The .454 pushes the limits but is much more practical to my way of thinking.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks O.S.O.K.

I have three lever guns: a marlin '97 in .22, a rossi '92 in .357, and an original 1886 in 45-70. What ever revolver I get, I won't be matching it by caliber to a lever, it will have to be a mate to the '86 as it comes.

I have had a .454 and was well pleased with it except to say that I had one with a 7.5" inch barrel and was physcially too big to be comfortable. I would agree with you on the comments on the .460 S&W and the 50s also offered. At one time, I thought the .454 was the do all caliber and I still think it is not too far off considering you can shoot the "lesser .45" out of it. your comments are well founded in the energy and package consideration.

blessings
Mike Johnson,

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

Unless I missed it in your post, you don't have to carry an 8" barreled X-frame in .460. They make a dandy short barreled one. Here is a thread I did a couple years ago when I got the chance to shoot one:

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts ... 747&KW=460

That was a fun gun to shoot, and even though I despise the S&W's with the key locks if I had the chance, I'd get one. Big yes, excessive recoil no, pyrotechnics ..... ooooowweeee!!!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks Joe, that was a nice right up. would be a nice OT post here.
Mike Johnson,

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

If I am not mistaken, S&W offers an "emergency kit" version of both the 500 and the 460 with 2 inch barrels. I seem to remember a review of the 460 on Gunblast.com. I am sure someone at S&W had a plan when the built a 2 inch 460. :?: :idea:
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

rjohns94 wrote:thanks Joe, that was a nice right up. would be a nice OT post here.
+1...besides, that fireball picture alone is worth the price of admission!! Zowzer!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have the .480 in both a Puma and a Ruger Super Redhawk. The 7½ barrel on my SRH gives 1375 fps for Hornady factory 325 grain XTP bullets. I can push a Speer 400 grain JSP to 1400 with Hodgdon Li'l Gun, but it is punishing. I find the Puma to kick less than the Guide Gun loaded hot. The Speer 400 grain JSP bullets actually exited on the water buffalo in 5 of the 8 broadside shots. The 325 grain XTP bullets open too much and just don't penetrate as far. I have a couple of 425 grain WFP Cast Performance bullets loaded in Starline brass with 20.5 grains of H4227 that I want to see how they work on a critter. I also just got some 410 grain WFP bullets from cast performance which are P.O.ed at me for letting them sit in the box and not get used yet. I changed the grip on my SRH and it isn't as bad as the factory grips were. If it doesn't fit you, it probably will hurt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Mike, IMHO, the 454 Casull in a Freedom Arms is the way to go if you want a powerful revolver.
If you're okay with a 5-shooter, it may be the way to go. A Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 is a 6-shooter; plus, it's got a longer cylinder so you can load ammo longer if need be.

On another note, does anyone know the case length of the .500 Linebaugh Long as opposed to the .500 S&W?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I never could see the point of the X-frame. If you are wanting something that large, why not carry a rifle?

I had the privilege of shooting one of John Linebaugh's reworked Rugers in .500 Linebaugh, don't know the load other than that the bullet weight was 420gr or so. The recoil was stout but not evil. The great thing about that gun is that you could actually carry it on your hip.

If I had piles of money I'd go with a Linebaugh gun but in .475. Then I'd work to find a nice light load in it. :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks for all the input. I chose a 6 inch Freedom Arms in 475 linebaugh. I am well pleased with the revolver and will have it to the range this weekend. I appreciate all the input. I am sure I didn't "need" this revolver but I know that it fits right in with my big bore love affair and I surely have to find a use for it once I get it tuned in. Range report to follow!!
Mike Johnson,

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I'm sure many of us will be looking forward to the range report. Have fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost