OT - Anybody k ow anything about Sav 219?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Anybody k ow anything about Sav 219?

Post by Tycer »

Ran across a clean one in 30/30 yesterday for $150. Guy says it shoots super straight.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Re: OT - Anybody k ow anything about Sav 219?

Post by Hobie »

They had a good reputation when I was growing up. Much like the Savage 94 shotgun and similar Stevens product. I think the firing pin hole is smaller/bushed but I'm not sure. Didn't Pepe Ray or Pete44RU just post that they had a .30-30 barrel and a .22 Hornet 219?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

It was Pete44ru, Hobie. He has a Hornet. I'd say $150 for a 219 is a REAL deal...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I know they seem to be pretty scarce. You don't see them for sale very often. To me, this indicates that those that have them must prize them pretty highly.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

$150 for one, in any kind of shootable condition, is a good price. They typically bring about twice that.
I paid more for the 219B Hornet I bought a few weeks ago.

Not all the .30-30 barrels have rimfire-type scope mount grooves, making those harder to scope, if that's what's wanted.
The .30-30 M219 barrel I have that's S/PF has a nice folding leaf longleaf rear sight - and all have 26" barrels.

FYI - If you decide to get it, and want to add a second barrel, just be aware that ALL barrels are NOT interchangeable between various Model 219's - no matter what the internet experts say.

I just learned the hard way that Savage changed from a toplever-cocking system on the striker-fired Model 219, to a barrel-cocking system on the internal-hammer Models 219B, 219C & 219L.

I shoulda read DeHaas' book sooner. :oops:

Barrels marked "219" will fit on the later B/C/L model receivers, but do not have the spring-loaded cocking stud/plunger on the right side of the locking lug to cock those guns after the first shot.
The barrel has to be removed and the internal cocking lever cocked manually with a screwdriver for every shot - burdensome to say the least.

Model 219B/C/L barrels will fit and operate on a plain old Model 219, because that receiver doesn't need the barrel's cocking stud, and it serves no function in that application.

The later model's cocking link can be seen, with the barrel off, lying along the inside of the right receiver wall, between the hinge pin and the locking wedge.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks Pete! I did NOT know that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I have owned a couple over the years and they are about the best carrying centerifle rifle that I know of. Mine were decently accurate, but the triggers left a lot to be desired. Still for $150, that is a steal. Good catch.