Best Gun I ever had

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Best Gun I ever had

Post by getitdone1 »

The best gun I ever had--and still have it--is a Browning model 1886 carbine, grade 1. Now this best gun thing is real personal and I'm not saying in practical terms that this gun is the best but it's the last one I'd sell and that's not going to happen.

I've had lots of guns, especially rifles but also lots of handguns and a few shotguns. 70-80 guns, somewhere in there and I know that's less than some of you have now. Mine "came and went" as I continued to find something I liked better. If I'd had more money fewer would have went. :D

How about your best gun? I'd enjoy reading about it.

Don McCullough
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best Gun I ever had

Post by awp101 »

Excluding family firearms, it'd be my BL22 for the rifle and my Para LTC for the handgun.

The BL22 is just light, fast to shoulder, fast to cycle, easy on the wallet and easy on the shoulder. The Para just happens to be the first 1911 platform I was able to really get comfortable with, I suppose the stars aligned just right that day.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Ruger Vaquero sheriff's model .45 Colt. Does everything I need it to do, if I do my part. Also, never cease to be amazed at my Henry H001 levergun.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Be hard to say - K22 - many others.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

1978 Colt SAA in .357 Magnum, She's never once failed me.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

My best, one that I wish I didn't have to sell would be:

Lew Horton 3 inch 624 with Fuzzy Farant grips

talk about an extension of my hand, this one was just about perfect for me.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Hmmmm..either my Marlin 336 30-30...or my 1956 H&R M1 Garand....I'd sell my house before selling either one.... :)
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

S&W Model 28-2 4" Highway Patrolman.Will be buried with her. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is a tough question. "Best" can be split in so many ways. Best performing, best value, best function, etc. If I only had one (God forbid), I'd keep my father's service revolver - a S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum. I could never part with it - it simply means too much to me.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Colt Python 4" blue. It seems to be indestructible.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I still wish I had my Detonics MkVI .45ACP. :cry:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I guess this old Colt SAA 44-40. It was made in 1906. I take it with me the most so I must like it a lot. :wink:

I just got to thinking what you are saying when you say the best gun I ever had. If you are talking about the most vauable, best quality or rarest then that is a different story. Then I have a hard choice to make, but it would be between these three.

"That'll Be The Day"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Wow, I need more data. Best gun for .... Perhaps your asking favorite? Or perhaps your asking THE ONE you would hold onto no matter what? Or most treasured? Most expensive? Most memories made? Most sentimental? and is this ever? or just those we own? those we shot? Most versatile? Most shot? Most fondled?

Assuming its guns we own now, not in the past or future, that narrows the choices considerably for me.

Best home defense - Benelli M3 12 gauge
Best carry pistol (main) - J-frame 3" Pro shop .357
Favorite, currently my circa 1887, 1886 in 45-70.
Last one I would get rid of: currently - my NKJ .357 '92
Most expensive - close but I think its the 1886
Most memories - .54 Caliber custom flintlock
Most sentimental - .54 caliber custom flintlock or Walther pp in 22
most versatile - .357 NKJ '92
most shot - .20 cal pellet rifle BY FAR
most fondled - the 1886, when we talk true fondling
most carried or touched - the j-frame .357.
Best accuracy - .20 cal pellet rifle
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Difficult question.

First one that popped into my mind as a favorite is my
Marlin 94P that travels with me more than the others.

Means most to me and would never part with is my Grandfather's
'03 Sporter and my Marlin 450 that my family bought me for Christmas
a few years ago.

Most valuable would probably be my Winchester '95 Russian musket.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

WOW that is hard.
Last one I let go- Marlin 1895 45-70
Most valuable- either my 1886 winny or my purdySXS
Best all around-M1A
I don't know but my 4 5/8 super blackhawk in stainless is in there somewhere.
Help my head hurts I better go shooting! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Welcome to the campfire Tom! :)
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

That's a tough one.

Bolt Gun: Probably my "sporterized" U. S. Model 1917 Rifle in of course .30-06 with Williams Ramp Front Sight Base with Marbles insert and Redfield 70-R Receiver Sight. She's old and worn now but still very accurate. Despite her 23" barrel length, which is not handy in the woods, she has taken many deer.

Lever Gun: Probably my Marlin Model .444S made in 1979 with the OEM Ramp Front Sight and Williams FP 94/36 Receiver Sight. Very deadly on pigs/hogs, deer, and Elk.

Handgun: Probably my Ruger 6 & 7/8" Barrel, .22 Long Rifle, Automatic Pistol, MARK I with adjustable rear sight made in 1958. Very deadly on tennis balls, cans, shotgun shells, rocks, pine cones, AND the occasional pest -- squirrels, raccoon, etc..
ED
Yer never too old
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Jaguarundi wrote:S&W Model 28-2 4" Highway Patrolman.Will be buried with her. :wink:
That was my first .357 when law enforcement (and my agency) was by-and-large adopting the .357 over the .38's. What a great shooter!

Back then, I knew nothing about revolver maintenance (only the .45 from GI training), and used to snap the cylinder in and out like a dodo, Humphrey Bogart style. Range training, back then, was not standardized like it is now, and our rangemaster didn't know any better to tell me that this was a bad practice. The result was eventually that the cylinder locked up on the firing line. So I immediately sold it to a fellow deputy who was an amateur gunsmith; he fell into a great deal as the result of my ignorance. Oh, for Leverguns.com back then.

It was indeed a fine gun; but I replaced it with a 6" Python which is still one of my prized possessions.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Where do we get this guns as "her" thing - guns throw projectiles - what has that got to do with women???? :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Savage wrote:Where do we get this guns as "her" thing - guns throw projectiles - what has that got to do with women???? :D
I'd say that is because guns, ships, automobiles, and other things mechanical are things of beauty. Now women are beautiful but men are coarse and pretty much plain looking. That's how I look at it anyway.
ED
Yer never too old
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Modoc ED wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Where do we get this guns as "her" thing - guns throw projectiles - what has that got to do with women???? :D
I'd say that is because guns, ships, automobiles, and other things mechanical are things of beauty. Now women are beautiful but men are coarse and pretty much plain looking. That's how I look at it anyway.
I think it is because we love all of the above, we need all of them, but on the other hand they are costly, make constant noise and can cause a lot of damage.

I'm typing this while my wife is not in the room, bless her little heart.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I have actually three that are my best guns, and they are about
the least expensive of the many guns I have.
1935 J Stevens 20ga single---Moms old defense gun,I use this gun
to take where handguns are not allowed like NY state.
1938 Winchester 37 12ga single----Granddads old gun,I grew up
shooting this from about age 8 on.Killed hundreds of squirrels/rabbits
1972 Ithaca deerslayer deluxe 12ga--Killed probably over 30 deer
with it,also great for home defense.
I pick these because they have been used long/extensively and always have gone BANG with authority with every pull of the trigger.
P.S. Oh ya, cant leave out the old Springfield Armory M1 Garand!!
Started deer/bear hunting at age 12 with it fixed in manual cycle mode!
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I agree with Old Savage, guns are inanimate objects.
There is no comparison to a stocking clad leg.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The Marlin 336 in my avatar is probably my best gun. I have had more fun with it, harvested more meat with it, and had more good times with it in my hand than any other gun. I had a heartbreaking moment last year when we had a boating mishap and the boat was filling with water. We already had the boys in the water and I was the last guy in the rapidly filling boat.
I was watching my gun case in the bottom of the boat go under water and thinking "I won't be seeing that rifle again" but luckily the current pushed us out of its own way just enough the boat didn't sink and I still have my rifle.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

You guys calling guns "she" reminded me of a story. A buddy and I were gone to Juarez back in the 60s. On the way back his old car started acting up. I said "what in the hell is wrong with this piece of cr#$"? It had been given us trouble all the way down and now on the way back. I had offered to take my car but no, we had more room in his he said. Just after I said what I said, he patted the car on the dash and said " he didn't mean it sweety, he's just tired and a little grouchy because of Mex". He then looked at me in a very serious face and said "if you keep talking to her like that, she'll just stop right here, now apologize and say your sorry". You know we were half way between El Paso and Colorado City at that time. I said "honey I'm sorry, I'm just delirious" and rub the dash nice and gentle like. I didn't say another word to his car until we reached civilization and that was Fort Worth, then I cussed her out. I told him if she stopped now I could hitch back to Denton. She deserved it. :x

P.S. we made it back to UNT with no more trouble. Sometimes you just got to show them who's boss! :wink:
"That'll Be The Day"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well now I have to admit something embarassing on a levergun forum! The best gun I've had, (and still do have) is an old sporterized Enfield Pattern 17 in .30-06 caliber. The old gal was used when I bought her, and just looked gorgeous. Once I took it to the range the gun proved it could shoot every bit as good as it looked, and more!
After owning this gun for nearly 30 years, and taking too many deer to remember I just can't say enough good about her. She's never let me down, and always puts the shot where I aim. Sort of semi retired the last few years, as I've gone to hunting with singleshots and levers, but she still goes along, just in case I need a solid backup gun!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

good question. theres' the 86 carbine, 71 carbine, old blr-308wcf. my bigbore 94-356 is probablly my best handling, shooting rifle. glock 27 in a handgun. :?
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

marlinman93 wrote:Well now I have to admit something embarassing on a levergun forum! The best gun I've had, (and still do have) is an old sporterized Enfield Pattern 17 in .30-06 caliber. The old gal was used when I bought her, and just looked gorgeous. Once I took it to the range the gun proved it could shoot every bit as good as it looked, and more!
After owning this gun for nearly 30 years, and taking too many deer to remember I just can't say enough good about her. She's never let me down, and always puts the shot where I aim. Sort of semi retired the last few years, as I've gone to hunting with singleshots and levers, but she still goes along, just in case I need a solid backup gun!-Vall
Well, that's two of us with the same gun. Just goes to show that some of the old guns are still going strong.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

That would have to be my '94 Trapper chambered for .44 Mag, 13 whitetail, one Black Bear, and one Bull Elk up the Clark Fork in the Bitter Roots. Besides that, check out Ranch Dog's last Postal Match Off Hand-Open Sights....that bugger can still shoot!

Gotta a bunch that make me proud to date, but keep come'n back to that little work horse.