OT- Melting furnace

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Melting furnace

Post by Andrew »

I was thinkin' about my birthday coming up and was wondering what to have my family get me. I was thinking of my new-to-me ML and thought that a melting furnace and a round-ball mould would be a great idea.

QUESTION: Does this pot(click on pic) pour out the bottom? If it does, does that mean I can skip the ladle, cause I would like to.

The little guy's even on sale...:D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

melting lead

Post by rjohns94 »

that is what santa brought to me. I think if you use the ladel, you will get better product but that unit does pour out the bottom and you don't "need" a ladel
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's a bottom pour pot. The spoon type ladle will still come in handy if not for casting.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks just like one a friend of mine had and it DID pour out the bottom; the lever lifted up a rod that plugged a hole in the bottom. Worked good for four-cavity molds he used.

Been thinking about one myself; if you get one, post up the results and what you like/dislike about it.

Sizer-wise, he used the Lee one that pushes the bullets up into one of their famous red bins, and Allox or something like that as a lube. I don't remember much more, as it's been over 30 years.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I had one just like it for years untill I loaned it to my dad to make fishing jigs with. He would NOT give it back! Oh well, I had two others , so I told him to enjoy!!! :)
It is a bottom pour pot but that rod that is used as a valve will clog easy and may not allways seal well so may drip. It can be cleaned but is a pain. I dipper cast most of the time. I find I get better quality that way and I am not into high volume anyway. Have fun!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just like the one I put on the casting bench I made recently. It does indeed pour out the bottom, as noted by others. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I used the Lee 10 lb. pot for years. Yes, it did drip a bit occasionally, but just put a screwdriver in the slot on the top and give it a few turns. It will seat the plunger and stop dripping. I just tossed the buildup of dripped lead back in the pot and kept casting.
I went to the 20 lb. Lee bottom pour a year ago when Sportsman's Warehouse had them for $49. Best decision I ever made! They do a lot better and I don't have to keep throwing more lead in all the time!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/