Slightly OT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Slightly OT

Post by RustyJr »

Does anyone know if you could use powdered graphite lube like what the military uses in a cold weather environment, in some place like Iraq. If you could would this not be a better lube to use to keep the sand from from clinging to the weapon as much as if you were using something like LSA oil.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Slightly OT

Post by Rusty »

btt
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BTT I want to know too!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I don't know about graphite but during the Great South East Asia War Games, some guys got to use a product named Dri-Slide.It was very fine moly sulfide in a liquid carrier that evaporated quickly.Worked fine in M-16's !Both graphite and moly disulfide work the same way but I have never used it in a desert environment .
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Graphite cannot be used as lubricant on AR-15 pattern firearms (M16 and M4) because it has an abrasive effect on aluminum, so it will essentially "eat" the receiver.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RustyJr wrote:Does anyone know if you could use powdered graphite lube like what the military uses in a cold weather environment, in some place like Iraq. If you could would this not be a better lube to use to keep the sand from from clinging to the weapon as much as if you were using something like LSA oil.

RustyJr
I don't see why not. Never used it but it should work.

I don't know if it answers any questions, but here is a thread from TRF that discusses lubes and the dry graphite is mentioned.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=45285

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Breakfree has been the standard in the Army for a long time now. If they are using other products, and some are, that would indeed be interesting.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

The current standard like Hobie stated is the Breakfree/CLP. You also have LAW and LSA along with LSA-T. I have also been told that 10W-30 works great on the M2 but never tried it :mrgreen: As far as the middle East goes, no matter what you use, the sand will still get to it. Trust me