LEVERGUNS S. Africa SAFARI 2010

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

LEVERGUNS S. Africa SAFARI 2010

Post by 86er »

The 2009 Leverguns Safari is a short 6 weeks away. If you are interested, you can still make it. Airfares are the lowest they have been and the $U.S. is very high compared to the R. RandRSA. Let me know if you want to go this year May 2-10.

FOR 2010 I'd like to know if anyone has mild interest, maybe interest or a high level of interest. The only way to get the great prices on the hunt and the airfare is to plan a year ahead . Next year we are looking at $2400 for the daily rates and as of now $1242 airfare. You can shoot animals with a quota and VAT of as little as $150, but $300 should be considered a good price point for Impala, Blesbok and Warthog. I will personally chapperone this trip and serve as your PH for an animal or two if you'd like. Please post with interest, questions and comments so I can get the planning stage and details solidified soon. Thanks
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Re: LEVERGUNS S. Africa SAFARI 2010

Post by Mike Rintoul »

I'd be interested in a 2010 trip for elephant, hippo and buffalo. One for the 45-70, one for the 50 Alaskan, maybe one with the 500 Linebaugh. Let me know the details by PM or e-mail.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Anyne wanna sponsor me, as a gunbearer/skinner/whiskey taster? :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mild interest at this point. Have to see what the finances do for this year. I definitely want to go to Africa before I am too old to enjoy it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

MAn, with prices THIS low, I'm gettin' itchy! Got any horse I can shoe for trophy fees? I wanna bring my horse and shoot a water buffalo on the run, ala "Rooster Cogburn"! :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
H&R BANG
Levergunner

Post by H&R BANG »

If you want to go, don't hesitate, sign up! I went this year with my brother. We were the only ones to sign up, so it was very very small group. There was one other hunter in camp. A nice fellow from France.

Photos of my trophies:

This is my 50" Kudu shot with a Marlin 1895 45-70 with a 400 grain Barnse Original flat point. The shot was at a bad angle quartering away. The bullet broke the last rib, penetrated through the chest, and ended up in his neck. Total penetration was about 40". He turned and ran about 100 yards before dropping. He had expired before we reached him.

The bullet expanded to almost 2X and retained 97% of its weight.

My Wildebeest was also taken with the Marlin using the new 400 grain Barnes Busters. The first shot went high, but took out both shoulders. He went down and could not get up. I finished him with a shot though the lower chest. Both bullets exited and were not recovered. From left to right, Me, Willem, and Willem's tracker.

My Impala was taken with my little girls gun - a TC Encore in 30-06. The shot was after a quiet stalk at about 100 yards. The 180 grain Swift A Frame Remington factory load penetrated the chest and exited. He dropped on the spot.

My PH Willem, was so impressed with the Marlin, he is buying it from me. Well, actually a trade for a future hunt.

Don't wait, sign up and GO!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Gents:

It's time to start the preliminary planning for the 2010 Safari. I have arranged with South African Airways for a 2 for 1 discount if we fly off-season. We would leave from NY-JFK and fly direct (10.5 hrs). The off-season that is okay to hunt would be late April or August. The airfare would be approximately $1310 R/T split by 2 or $655 each R/T. The flights to NY would be on your own but we can arrange a place to stay overnight at no charge or very inexpensive. To keep the cost down I recommend we do the following: 1) Two rifles per box declared by one person. The cost of the licensing and meet and greet service is $130 so it would be split by 2 hunters. 2) Cut the trip a day short to take advantage of the airline discounts. 3) Pick 3 fairly inexpensive animals for deposit purposes. We need quota permits and therefore a deposit on trophies. However, it is not a committment to shoot those animals, rather it is considered a credit. So it you pick Impala $300, Warthog $250, Blesbok $300 you will pay a deposit on $850 and a final payment on $850 just before departure to RSA. Upon arrival you do not have to shoot any of those animals if you choose not to, but you have a $850 credit to put towards whatever you want. 4) Two per room - there is daily cleaning and laundry service. Two per room will make an appropriate gratuity about $10 each per day instead of twice that for a private room. 5) If anyone is bringing back trophies we use one crate and one service to pool the cost, 6) Live with horns , skull mounts or substitution taxidermy to save on the cost. Substitution taxidermy is when they put your horns on a cape that has been pre-mounted on a form. It is less than 1/2 the cost of having your entire trophy prepared traditionally. Either way you don't need to pay a dime for trophies until one year after returning. 7) Solicit your friends, family and others to join us. The more hunters we have (up to 12) the lower I can negotiate the price. This does not mean crowding. We will have one PH per 2 hunters and no more than 2 people per chalet for quarters. We are hunting on 16 concessions with 130,000 hectacres total, so we will not be overlapping one another at all.

Here is an estimated breakdown:
One Hunter - Airfare to NY $275 (varies depending on where you are from, etc)
Airfare to RSA $655
Gratuities $250 - PH and camp staff all inclusive but optional - up to you
Trophies $1000 ($850 credit + one more animal or one upgrade)
Ancillary cost $70 (airport food, magazine, etc plus firearms import cost)

Daily Rate April 24 $150
25-29 $350
30 $150
VAT $336
$2386

Daily Rate Aug 7 $150
Aug 8-12 $350
13 $150
VAT $302.40
Discount 10% - $240
$2112.40

As far as incentives goes how about this…

First person to send his deposit gets to hunt one Warthog for free.
Client who hunts most animals gets a culling cartridge belt + selection of SA wines.
Client with the most one shot kills gets a selection of South African wine.

Prices for all game are expected to increase significantly next year due to the 2010 Soccer World Cup being hosted in SA and the influx of tourists from especially Europe so it’d be best to book early and pay as we go until departure date to hold these rates!

1/2 the daily rate would be due Oct-Nov. The balance on daily rate is due end of March. 30 days before departure you need to pay 50% of the trophy fees.

Chris Troskie is coming to Dallas in September to meet anyone interested in hunting with us. We will be giving a presentation on Thursday Sept 10th in Dallas. The presentation is a 4 course dinner with door prizes and a full presentation including videos, etc. Chris is going to offer some incentive discounts and safari prizes (like free warthog) for those of us in attendance. Mark you calendar to be there!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

July 5th 2009 Update: I secured a price of $1033 R/T from NY to J'Burg Non-Stop total for the April week. I'll post current airfare for April and August as I can squeeze 'em out of SAA.

This does not forego the usual 2:1 they offer but I havent seen it come out yet.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Congratulations to Kris - 2fewdaysafield - as the first person booked on this trip and the winner of the FREE warthog! Anyone with interest - now is the time to start planning for 13 months ahead. It goes by quickly!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
2fewdaysafield
Levergunner

Post by 2fewdaysafield »

Thanks Joe...86er!

Guys, I just want to say if you've ever dreamed of hunting in Africa...who amongst us hasn't...86er can make your dream come true! Great guy. Very responsive. And very willing to work with you to make this fit into your budget.Hope to see you on the plane!

2few
Decker103
Levergunner

Post by Decker103 »

I am interested but have a question, I have become a dedicated handgun hunter, would there be any issues with me hunting with a handgun instead of a levergun? I know this forum is for levergunners and enjoy them myself, but have made the switch to handguns as my main hunting battery.

Thanks for your time,
David
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Handguns are very welcome in my camps.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bang
Levergunner

Post by Bang »

2010 April trip

I assume you will fly in to Johannesburg on the 23rd and leave on the 1st May or what do you normally do ?
Taking into account the fact that airfares for me will be at least x2 to x3 times as much as from NY - it's still a valued hunt.

> I missed out on a Nambia trip this month and 2011 is too long to wait for the next organised trip my mates are planning.

I want to do Cape buff before I croak. Asian water boo are fun but only dangerous if you scare them.
I wish to die like my grandmother - peacefully in her sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in her car !

Is there a 21st Century lever action?
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Trying to "do" a Cape Buffalo might just be the end of you!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

4000 acres is not very big, especially if your in a vehicle. But even on foot thats pretty small. On the other hand I'm sure that animals hunted in native Africa are constantly monitored by the guides and they will usually put you close to success as a matter of course.

I guess I'm used to the Aussie experience. You drive 900km probably a third on dirt road, to get to a property where the only guide is the Cow Cockie (property owner) and he guides you by saying he has seen some recent sign in the west paddock. The distinquishing feature of the west paddock is that it is smaller than the other three paddocks and only 30 000 acres. All covered on foot and you hunt basically all day, even in the hottest part of the day as you try to catch critters sneaking. The only good reason to keep your eyes open that night is the company around the campfire and the stars.

Oh he says "For Chris'sake don't kill the white fluffy thing with the bell, that's the Missus' prize mongrel persian cat"

Cheers
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Who said anything about 4000 acres?
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

DOH!!! Insert picture of Homer Simpson here, sorry guys. I meant to post this in the Africa/USA topic.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Chris Troskie
Levergunner

Post by Chris Troskie »

Hi guys, I haven't posted here for a while but am glad to note the interest in this hunt.

For those who don't know; this will be the 5th Levergun Safari since we started hosting this hunt in 2006 and to date we have had the pleasure of sharing camp with no less than 24 guests from this community. We've always had fun together and are looking forward to a great time in April / August.

In response to some of the questions raised...
  • The combined size of the areas we're hunting on comprises of more than 50,000 acres.
  • All types of hunters are welcome - levergunners, handgun hunters, rifle hunters, black powder hunters. Heck; if you want to bring your bow you're welcome too.
  • Anyone interested in hunting dangerous game should contact 86er or me as this can be arranged although it might be necessary to travel a bit to a DG area.
  • You are also welcome to upgrade and spend extra time with us. Just let us know in advance.
Thought you'd enjoy pictures of some of the trophies that were hunted with us this season:

Good hunting

Chris
Good Hunting!

Chris Troskie

Real Hunts for Real Hunters!
http://www.ct-safaris.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks Chris,awesome pics!
Chris Troskie
Levergunner

Post by Chris Troskie »

You're welcome Madman, glad you enjoyed them.
Good Hunting!

Chris Troskie

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Chris Troskie wrote: Image
I didn't know Reese Witherspoon went on safari!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Chris Troskie
Levergunner

Post by Chris Troskie »

See what you're missing??? :lol:
Good Hunting!

Chris Troskie

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am interested in 2011 May hunt, if its after the first week. Let me know what you work out for that time frame. thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Chris Troskie
Levergunner

Post by Chris Troskie »

rjohns94 wrote:I am interested in 2011 May hunt, if its after the first week. Let me know what you work out for that time frame. thanks
Well that can be arranged... The Levergun Safari dates for 2011 haven't been set as yet but we will certainly keep this in mind...

But then again why wait until '11 if dates are available in '10 :?: You only live once...
Good Hunting!

Chris Troskie

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I appreciate the encouragement Chris. I am committed in missions work/vacation time through 2010. Thats why I'm looking out to 2011. Thanks. I have a couple of hunts to book with Joe too before then that will eat up some funds. I'm in for 2011 though!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I believe the 2011 hunt will start out with rjohns94 and piller signed up. Make plans to join them now!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
texshooter
Levergunner

Post by texshooter »

A friend and I are interested in the 2010 hunt. I'll get with him and call. We may have others interested. Time to break out the Model 71. If you have information other than your web site, please let me know. AJ
Chris Troskie
Levergunner

Post by Chris Troskie »

texshooter wrote:A friend and I are interested in the 2010 hunt. I'll get with him and call. We may have others interested. Time to break out the Model 71. If you have information other than your web site, please let me know. AJ
Thanks for the interest. My website at www.ct-safaris.com has some detail on what to expect but if you need any additional info please feel free to contact me and I'll get back to you as soon as I'm finished with my current hunt. Talking about which - here's a pic of the cape buffalo that my present client hunted a few days ago.

I'll be in Dallas from Sept 9th thru 13th so if anyone wants to meet with me they should please let me know. I'll also be visiting various other States incl. FL, WY, AZ, WA, MI.
Good Hunting!

Chris Troskie

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Updated news! This is very unique. I have contracted with a US taxidermist that specializes in African game to do the following:

Personally oversee the field care of your trophy in the highveldt of Africa

Personally supervise and when necessary, hands-on skin and cape your trophy in Africa

Prepare the brine and salting and tag as appropriate

Arrange all export from Africa

Arrange all import to USA

Professionally mount trophies to your specifications

Personally deliver your trophy anywhere in the US and assist in wall-hanging or other display.

The cost for this is exactly the same as just having the same mount done anywhere else!

An incredible service and value to my elite leverguns clients.

Joe
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thats fantastic Joe. Great news indeed.
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

In South Africa - am I limited in which animals I am allowed to hunt with a 9.3x74R? Is there shotgunning available? My double rifle is being fitted with a 20 gauge barrel and I'm thinking would be a nice combo to take. And for giggles, Can I take my FA .475 Linebaugh and use it in S. A.? Thanks
Mike Johnson,

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

RJohns94 - you can use the 9.3 rifle on just about anything. The laws vary slightly by province in RSA. 9.3 is okay nearly everywhere we would hunt for all species of DG. You may bring your 475 handgun (I'll help you get the special permits). You can bring a shotgun barrel and enjoy some francolin, sand grouse and dove shooting.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I am having trouble reaching Kris (2fewdaysafield). I have not been able to get in touch with him and have not received any deposit. Therefore, the FREE WARTHOG is open again for the next person to secure their hunt. (If Kris gets back to me I'll still honor his free warthog too). We need some hunters to make this year's trip happen.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Dear all,

The year is almost over and with our last hunt for the 2009 season finished it's time to get ready for and fill up some spaces that we still have open for 2010. For this reason we are offering the following popular package hunts for 2010 at discounted prices.

Horseback Hunting on Sabrisa Ranch (rifle hunt)

We are now offering hunting from horseback directly from Chris' ranch. The Waterberg Mountains of Limpopo Province has a reputation for good Kudu and by travelling on horseback, we'll be able to traverse areas previously inaccessible to hunters so we have a good chance of getting even closer to the really big ones that we know are out there!

We hunt on 10,000 acres of prime bushveld and ALL the game that roams this area are free ranging as the hunting area is not game fenced. Because we're hunting truly free ranging animals we are limited to the animals that naturally occur in the area i.e. Kudu, Bushbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Klipspringer, Grysbok, Grey Duiker, Steenbok, Warthog and Bushpig.,, but if there are other animals on your list these hunts can also be arranged in the vicinity.

There are not many other SA-based Outfits that offer horseback hunting and most of those who do, place a premium on hunting from horseback by means of higher daily rates. But because we love horses and bought them for our pleasure as opposed to for commercial purposes clients will pay the same daily rate whether they hunt from horseback or otherwise... In fairness to our horses there are weight limitations applicable to riders though.

We're offering ONE (1X1) 7 day horseback hunt for one Kudu at the very special price of $4,399 all inclusive. If you took the going trophy fee for Kudu into consideration this means that you're essentially getting a 7 day hunt for a daily 1X1 hunting rate of under $300. This is cheaper than 2X1 rates!!!

Trophy Nyala Hunt - Kwa Zulu Natal (rifle or bow)

As many of you may know; excellent Nyala trophies were hunted with us this past season with the "smallest" bull measuring just shy of 27" and the largest touching the magical 30" mark. This means that - keeping up with tradition - all Nyalas hunted made SCI Gold and 99% of all the bulls hunted with us this year met the minimum qualifying criteria for Rowland Ward. No worries though - there are still BIG Nyala bulls left on our Kwa Zulu Natal concession. Our Blue Wildebeest and Zebra are also doing particularly well in Natal and our new hunting area just down the road from camp has LOTS of Blesbok. Common Reedbuck and Black Wildebeest.
So if you're interested in hunting Nyala with us in the mountains of Kwa Zulu Natal maybe this package is the one for you...
Our 2010 Nylala package includes the following:

Free transportation between Johannesburg International Airport and the hunting camp as well as transportation inside hunting area
Arrival and Departure days (1 each)
7 X Full hunting days
Accommodation, all meals and beverages (incl. alcoholic beverages in moderation)
Daily Room and Laundry Service
Tracking, skinning, field preparation, marking and salting of trophies
Services of Professional Hunter and use of Hunting Vehicle
Trophy Fees for the following animals:
1 X Nyala Bull
1 X Blue Wildebeest
1 X Common Blesbok
1 X Burchell's Zebra
The regular price of a 1X1 hunt like this would be $8,334.00 so this package is a great deal at only $5,999 (2X1) or $6,999.00 (1X1)

For those of you who don't know; our concession in Natal is 10,000 acres in size. Our camp is situated on top of a mountain overlooking the Tugela River and offers some of the most spectacular views of the Tugela Valley imaginable.
Other Plains Game species available for hunting in the immediate vicinity of our camp are:
Bushbuck
Greater Kudu
Impala
Mountain Reedbuck
Common Reedbuck
Grey Duiker
Black Wildebeest
Waterbuck
Eland
Other game species can also be hunted by special arrangement - just ask us for details.

6 Day Budget Plainsgame Hunt - Limpopo (rifle or bow)
For those who want to hunt Africa on a budget...
Offer Includes:
Free transportation between Johannesburg International Airport and the hunting camp as well as transportation inside hunting area
6 X Full hunting days
Accommodation, all meals and beverages (incl. alcoholic beverages in moderation)
1 X Gemsbok
1 X Impala
1 X Warthog
Please refer to our website for other available species and relevant trophy fees.
The regular price of a 1X1 hunt like this would be $5,028.00 so this package is a great deal at only $3,799 (2X1) or $4,499.00 (1X1)

10 Day Super Duper Plainsgame Hunt - Limpopo (rifle or bow)
Interested in collecting a full bag? This 10 day hunt includes no less than 8 trophy animals!
Offer Includes:
10 X Full hunting days
1 X Kudu
1 X Blue Wildebeest
1 X Gemsbok
1 X Zebra
1 X Red Hartebeest
1 X Blesbok
1 X Impala
1 X Warthog
Please refer to our website for other available species and relevant trophy fees.
The regular price of a 1X1 hunt like this would be almost $12, 500 so this package is a great deal at only $,9, 499 (2X1) or $10.249 (1X1)

Don't delay or wait for the conventions... contact us NOW to reserve your hunt!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Airfare for an April hunt is down to $930 R/T! Save over $200 off regular price and put it towards your hunt!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
b79holmes
Levergunner

Post by b79holmes »

Decker103 wrote:I am interested but have a question, I have become a dedicated handgun hunter, would there be any issues with me hunting with a handgun instead of a levergun? I know this forum is for levergunners and enjoy them myself, but have made the switch to handguns as my main hunting battery.

Thanks for your time,
David
From what I have read if any NY LEO-authority discovers a handgun in your luggage and you do not have a NY pistol permit you are going to have a very bad day! Yes I know federal law allows you to pass through other states but I believe NY is ignoring this and will still make an arrest.

Bill
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

There's no problem taking a handgun, even when travelling through NY. We had a client from Oregon and one from Florida with Linebaughs on the last hunt. Don't believe everything you read. What you don't want to do is unpack the handgun and try to walk around NY with it.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

NEW CONTEST FOR LEVERGUNS.COM MEMBERS -

Those who have a serious interest in joining the 2010 levergun safari are invited to enter the lucky draw "free hunt"competition.

One Hunter who books his spot in the annual levergun safari will hunt for FREE! The value of this prize is $2,764.50 based on a 7 day 2X1 hunt.

How the competition will work:

Everyone who books this hunt and secures his booking through payment of a $1,000 deposit will automatically be entered into the competition and be elligible for the lucky draw
The names of all entrants will be thrown in a hat and the lucky draw will take place at 12pm on Janary 31st 2010
The lucky draw will be made by a neutral party of leverguns.com under supervision of a panel
The winner of the competition will be announced directly after the draw on january 31st, 2010
The $1,000 deposit already paid by the lucky winner will be put forward as credit towards Trophy Fees for animals hunted during the safari in April '10.
Rules of the competition:

Anyone except for those who will be responsible for the lucky draw may enter the competition, the only prerequisite being that he / she must show genuine interest in booking the safari by means of signing a hunt contract and paying his deposit.
In order for the lucky draw to take place a minimum of 2 (two) and maximum of 6 (six) entrants are required.
Should we receive fewer than 2 (two) entries no lucky draw will take place and as such no prize will be awarded.

Contact me by PM, e-mail at twotube@optonline.net or call (469) 338-0071.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Arrrrrgh! I hate this forum :cry: It's already costing me too much money....

I'm out on a 2010 safari. I have commitments at work.. But I'm dang sure gonna see about a 2011 or 2012 trip.

86er, are you going to be in Red River county in Feb? If so, you can polish up your sales pitch on me whilst we're there :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Hey Vance - we're going to have a big group in 2011. Remind me and I'll bring you a CD to the hog hunt.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I was talking to the little woman about how going to Africa wasn't much more expensive than a guided elk hunt. She let me know right quick that there was no way in Hades I was going to Sud Afrika....

....without her! Talk about mixed emotions. :|
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I am now collecting deposits for the 2011 Leverguns Safari. The #1 question is always "Do I have to use a levergun"? NO - that is the name of our group, however you are welcome to bring a rifle, handgun or bow of whatever kind you like. DUE by May 21st is a $1000 deposit (you may also pay your daily rates in full for a discount). The first person to send their $1000 deposit will receive a free warthog (trophy fees paid). Everyone will enjoy full concierge service including airline booking assistance, layover lodging assistance, firearms permits, customs permits, trophy import arrangements and loaner equipment as necessary.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Leverguns South African Safari is set! The dates will be May 15-21st 2011. Pricing is $2394 that includes 6 hunting days, an arrival and departure day that may include part day hunt; concierge service with booking flights, stay-overs, firearms permits and trophy import; PH, meals and drinks, daily laundry, trophy prep, rifle range; and taxes. While the group is for levergunners, you can use any firearm or bow that is legal.

The airport destination is Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa. Flights from NY-JFK are direct on South African Airways. The airfare is $1014.13. Another option is to fly Delta from GA-Atlanta Hartsfield for $1246.77.

This is just over a year out, so deposits on the daily rate are due NOW to secure your spot and to get the best rates on trophy fees. $750 will secure your spot with another payment due in October and the final balance due end of March 2011.

I am going to negotiate the trophy fees based on interest. The more of one species we would like, the better I can negotiate with the landowner. You don't have to commit to any particular animal, just have some idea of a few you are interested in.

I will be one of the PH's and we will alternate who you hunt with each day.

Who's in?
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

86er, can you make some suggestions of type or brand of gun case to get for the trip? Also, some suggestions on clothing and how to limit the total amount brought to where it will stay within the airlines rules would be welcome. Do we need to bring personal knives, or anything we would normally bring when hunting? This may sound a little bit too much like a tenderfoot, but I have never actually been outside of the U.S. when not in uniform. I am not quite sure what to bring and what to not bring.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I will provide a gun case for 2 people travelling from Texas. It will be a TuffPak. You put up to 4 rifles in soft cases inside it along with your clothing. You need 3 changes of clothes since your laundry will be done daily. We will also provide some clothing items to you. You don't need a knife of any kind. I suggest you plan to leave some of your T-shirts, socks and maybe a pair of shorts with the tracking staff as a gift. Also, one of the greatest gratuities for your tracker or the skinners is a wristwatch -nothing fancy but a $12 Timex is priceless to them. I usually bring 3 or 4 of them in their new packaging. Just check with me or one of the hosts to see who it is appropriate to give on to. The most important thing you can bring is your camera. We will take photos too but you'll want to take home your memories on the spot and wait for our disk or e-mails later. Scent free suntan lotion is important especially if you are fair skinned. There is usually a distinct lack of sun screen in camp. Bring your own to be safe. That's about it besides cash. The PH's and staff have no ability to cash a check, even a travellers check. You are welcome to pay your trophy fees with American Express Travellers Cheques but for tips or ancillary expenses US currency is king. If you think you'll be homesick, I suggest renting a satellite phone. You can get the best one out there with enough minutes to call home for 1/2 hour daily for less than $150 for the week.

SO FAR PILLER IS THE ONLY THAT HAS PAID MOST OF HIS DAILY RATES. PLEASE SEND DEPOSITS ASAP - I MUST PAY FOR CAMP RESERVATIONS AND SERVICES BY JANUARY FOR THE MAY TRIP! THANKS
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

This looks awesome.

The $2400.oo covers the air fare & 3 animas right? that also covers the cost of bringing back the skull/horns right? Did I read that right? Does that also cover the cost of bringing back the skins? For example If I were able to go I'd want to have all "European" style mounts probably - but would LOVE to have a Zebra skin run, or a kudu rug. Don't know why just would like to have them.

Is a .270 WSM ok for Kudu or too small? Zebra? Warthog? others ??

I am planing on getting a 45-70 lever, but I already have a .270WSM.

thanks
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The daily rate is $350 per day. The airfare is seperate and is about $935 R/T. Getting skins/horns/skulls back is no problem but you need to use an export company and a customs broker as some cost, around $400 would get you 5 skins and horns cleared. A 270WSM will work fine for plains game. If you acquire a 45-70, especially a take-down for ease of packing, that would be ideal for the bushveldt hunting of any size plains game and would add another dimension to the hunt, particularly due to the close ranges we'll get you. Figure your cost will be around $4000 R/T with a few animals and there will be another $500 about 6-9 months later for trophy imports depending on the # of animals and what parts you are bringing in. I hope to have you as my guest!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member