OT - I'm no longer worried about Asian nukes.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT - I'm no longer worried about Asian nukes.

Post by RSY »

After putting together toys for my two daughters last night, I think we're safe from any threat, unless they send us the mis-manufactured pieces and a single sheet of directions in ridiculous "English" for us to put 'em together, ourselves.

:shock:

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:D :D :D
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

:D :)
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Ain't the nukes you gotta worry about, it's the lead paint and "date rape" drugs in the kids toys, as well as poison in the pet foods they keep sneaking in, them sneaking little orientals... :lol:
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

Toys are finally put together. Let's go out for a Chinese dinner.

http://www.engrish.com/category_index.p ... =CHINGLISH

Bruce
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

The Chinese language, written and spoken, is a very fascinating thing.

It is also one of the hardest to translate, along with English. For example,the Chinese words for 'mother' and 'horse', when written with the English Alphabet are spelled the same; Ma. The Chinese Characters, on the other hand , are entirely different and so is pronounciation. So you could see how things would get confused...

Still, there are more English speaking Chinese, than English speaking Americans.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

cutter wrote:The Chinese language, written and spoken, is a very fascinating thing.

It is also one of the hardest to translate, along with English. For example,the Chinese words for 'mother' and 'horse', when written with the English Alphabet are spelled the same; Ma. The Chinese Characters, on the other hand , are entirely different and so is pronounciation. So you could see how things would get confused...

Still, there are more English speaking Chinese, than English speaking Americans.
And the gap is widening...

bogie
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

cutter wrote:The Chinese language, written and spoken, is a very fascinating thing.

You are being too kind to some folks who are out to make a quick buck, but who are too cheap to hire a decent translator. Vietnamese and Chinese words are similar ("ma," with a certain tone, means ghost in Vietnamese, as well). The obstacle of the tones has long been conquered by adding a letter at the end of a word, as in telegraphic Vietnamese or Chinese, that picks up the tone that makes the different word.

E.g. - I don't remember all the translations, but the word for "ban" in the six tones used by the Vietnamese (no inflection, rising, falling, falling and rising, broken rising, and glottal stop - the abrupt low tone) are written thusly: ban, bans, banf, banr, banx, banj. Combined with the word for "me", they mean "I am busy," "Sell me," "Shoot me," "My friend," and two other things I don't remember.

Nope - it's not the language, it's just like here in the U.S. - people are becoming too lazy and/or ignorant to take time to use the proper English, spelling, and so on, as we get yet more technologically dependent and internationally dependent on products!

Whoops - almost stumbled over my soapbox...
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

The problem with the Chinese instructions is the guys from Poland who can't read Chinese or English that they pay to do the translations.

As far as lead goes, look on the bright side. If worse ever comes to worse we can melt down the toys to make bullets.