OT-Fitting a skeletonized buttplate to Project Roller

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Fitting a skeletonized buttplate to Project Roller

Post by marlinman93 »

Well here's the predicament. I ordered the English style checkered steel buttplate for the Rolling Block and GEOFF's friend WIND sent me a gorgeous skeletonized buttplate, complete with the piece of wood still in it, with the engraved screws! Now I had a challenge that I knew was way beyond my expertise, but couldn't pass up the chance to have such a cool engraved buttplate on the Roller!
After a couple days of head scratching, and some internet searches for stockmakers to do the job; I figured I couldn't pay someone $175-$200 to inlet the plate, or attempt it on my nice wood either. But I did figure out a third option!
I had the stocks cut about 1" longer than I needed to allow for buttplate fitting, so I figured if I screwed it up, I could shorten the stocks and start over without being too short. So I came up with this plan. I took the buttplate off the short piece of wood, and then cut all the excess wood off using my wood bandsaw. When I got very close to the lip that sits behind the edge of the plate I stopped. I then took the wood insert to my belt sander and removed the rest of the excess wood, down to the bare minimum.
At this point I traced the buttplate onto the stock, and got out my carving tools. With various gouges I relieved the area under the wood insert until I could drop it into the recess. I then began to fit the buttplate to the stock, and when I got the entire edge fitted I tried it with the wooden insert installed in the plate, and sitting on the stock. I relieved some more wood until the plate set flush to the edge of the stock.
Next step was to mix up some Acraglass Gel and dye it brown. None of it will show when finished, but if there's even a thin line it will match the wood and blend in. I filled the recess with glass and greased all the metal surfaces on the buttplate. Then I squeezed the buttplate and wood into the recess and clamped it with a long wood clamp. I wiped off most of the excess that oozed out, and set it aside for a couple hours.
After the gel lost it's tacky feel, I slipped a razor knife under the buttplate and popped it off. This is just a safety thing with me, as I'm always afraid to let it completely set without trying to free the metal. If it's stuck when semi hard I can still get it off, but if I wait over night, it's there forever!
I've now got the skeletonized pattern installed without the tricky inletting and I can reinstall the plate while I work the wood down to fit. Once fitted to the plate I'll sand and finish the stocks with the plate installed, removing it only when I apply the final finish on the wood!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-Fitting a skeletonized buttplate to Project Roller

Post by Wind »

Vall - Yep, that things gonna look like it grew there!! I knew a fella once that commented that I sure didn't waste any time in fitting something he had sent me!! Remember? I love it when you can't hardly wait to tear into a project. A busy weekend for you and it's not even half over. Watch you don't glue yer top knot to a table (as in Tim the Toolman Taylor). Wind
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Wow that is way cool. :mrgreen: Wish I had the time to to develope those sort of skills.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:Wow that is way cool. :mrgreen: Wish I had the time to to develope those sort of skills.
I'm glad I don't have the time - gives me an excuse to have ugly guns... :wink:

Not only is it a cool stockmaking project, but the photos and writeup are very helpful - maybe inspiring me to do something sometime though probably not half that fancy.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, I learn somethin' new everyday. :D That was interesting and I burned it into what memory I have left, to be used in the future. :D (if that makes any sense)
That required a bunch of patience and skill to make the job look professional, and that , you have done well.
I have in the past, seen these types of buttplates for sale but I never gave 'em much thought. I always believed they belonged on a "limey gun", but it sure gives class to a gun of Americana.-------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very, very cool! 8)

Someday...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for that. I've always like the looks of the skeletal buttplates.
Old Law Dawg
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

You sure made it sound a whole lot more difficult than that while we were walking around the show. :D "Cut once, measure 4-5 times....."

You know you're going to have to put together a photo essay, from start to finish, once the entire rifle project is done. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

JReed wrote:Wow that is way cool. :mrgreen: Wish I had the time to to develope those sort of skills.
It's not the time I lack. I've got plenty of that. It's the patience. I run short of that pretty quick.

One heck of a job "marlinman93". Looks good even in the rough. It'll look awesome when finished.
ED
Yer never too old
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks guys! I'm fitting the tangs today, and that goes really slow! It's file and scrape, then check the fit, black the tangs, scrape some more, fit some more. Tedious and frustrating when it doesn't go as fast as I'd like. Patience is a virtue I've forced on myself! It doesn't come naturally to me, as I want to see them done right away.
Once the tangs are fitted, I'll finish fitting the forearm to barrel and receiver, then things will move faster!-Vall
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well Val you are doing a great job and I look forward to seeing the finished rifle.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Got the wood fitted to the tangs, and shaped down. Now some final rasping, and it's ready to start sanding. Lots of elbow grease now, but I see the light at the end!

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Where's that "bow to the Master" smilie??? WOW! Looking good, Vall!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Marlinman,

This is very interesting to watch develop. I wish I had patience and a place to work. I've never been able to develop the former, and it's been a long time since I've had the latter.

Besides, were it me the light at the end of the tunnel would be the headlight on the train.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's the wood slightly dampened, some light spots where it started to dry before I could shoot the pic.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Got a nice surprise from the postman today! My Rem. Rolling Block action returned from Al Springer, where Al casehardened it. Very pleased with Al's work, and prices!

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Nice color case job. Will you shellac/laquer that for a final finish or do something else?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I can hear it already: "Dad? I know it's brand new, but Bobby Sue already told me she thought it was "cute", can I take the "Roller" out for a few "rounds? I'll be REAL c-a-r-e-f-u-l!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Nice color case job. Will you shellac/laquer that for a final finish or do something else?
Yes, I'll dip it and bake it for about 30 minutes to give it a bit of sheen, and protect the colors.
Griff,
The kid can take the old Roller in .44 Sharps for a spin! :D
Last edited by marlinman93 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Vall - That was quick! I can hardly wait to see it complete! Can I take it for a spin too? Wind
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sure Wind! If I ever make it up your way, we'll take it out and wear it out! :D -Vall
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Can't wait to see it all come together. Very nice. That wood looks like it's really going to be pretty.
Old Law Dawg
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

marlinman93 wrote:
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Nice color case job. Will you shellac/laquer that for a final finish or do something else?
Yes, I'll dip it and bake it for about 30 minutes to give it a bit of sheen, and protect the colors.
I should know, probably, but what do you dip it in? And, since I'm asking, at what temperature do you bake it? Thanks
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I use Brownells Baking Laquer. I think it's around 250 degrees, but need to check the label to be sure.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... R%20LIQUID

Checked the label, and the temp is 300 degrees for around 30 minutes. I wait for my wife to leave, or she'll kill me for using her oven! :wink:
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

marlinman93 wrote:I use Brownells Baking Laquer. I think it's around 250 degrees, but need to check the label to be sure.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... R%20LIQUID

Checked the label, and the temp is 300 degrees for around 30 minutes. I wait for my wife to leave, or she'll kill me for using her oven! :wink:

Thanks for the info..........and the warning :)
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

marlinman93 wrote:I wait for my wife to leave, or she'll kill me for using her oven!
A suggestion: how about going to some thrift shop and buying a small used toaster-oven for stuff like that?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Most of the small toaster ovens don't have a temp control. At least not one that has temperature ranges in degrees. We've got one of those little ones too, but I looked it over thinking I could take it out back, but it's just a rotary dial with marks from "warm" to "high".
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Some of the new nice ones have temp control. Check out Wally World.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis