Another handgun shipping question??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Another handgun shipping question??

Post by Dastook »

My brother-in-law in Utah wants to buy a 9mm pistol from me. I live in NC. Neither of us have FFL's. What do I need to do? I have been trying to find the answerer on the ATF website but that is a little like doing my taxes, I can't get through the garbage to find the answerer.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another handgun shipping question??

Post by Pete44ru »

It has to go FFL-to-FFL when transferring interstate.

If you have a friendly FFL, go to a Post Office, and pick up a USPS Flat Rate Box (there's 3 sizes), and a label, give it to your FFL with the gun for mailing. If the FFL is a friendly, the transfer should cost little or nothing besides postage.

Your FFL will need a copy of the Utah FFL's lisc for his books.

USPS charges either $10.95 or $13.95 (depending on box size) to ship whatever will fit inside the box anywhere in the US.

Don't seal the box until your FFL sees & records the serial number for his books.

Your BIL will need an FFL on his end to supply your FFL with a copy of his FFL, and to receive the pistol, to comply with Federal Law - and then have to abide by whatever Utah and local laws apply.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

IF I remember correctly, it does not have to go FFL - FFL, you can send it to an FFL yourself, though some do not accept from private individuals. If he has a gander moutain or similar store, they accept shipments too.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It can be shipped from you to an FFL. He receives it from the FFL. Mine charges $20, some charge $40. Make sure his FFL will receive from an individual. All of our local FFLs will. You can use http://gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp to find an FFL for him.
Since you are an individual and not an FFL, it must be shipped overnight. I use UPS.

From Gunbroker.com :
Shipment by Unlicensed Persons
Any shipper who does not have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) is considered to be an 'unlicensed person'. This section contains information on how unlicensed persons can ship firearms. If you have an FFL, please skip to the next section for shipping suggestions.
The most important thing to know is that you must only ship guns to a licensee. If the buyer is not a licensed dealer, he will have to make arrangements with a dealer in his state to ship the item to.

Before you ship a gun, the buyer must fax or mail you a copy of the licensee's signed FFL license. You can only ship the gun to the address on the license. You must inform the carrier that the package contains a firearm. Of course, the firearm cannot be shipped loaded; ammunition may not be shipped in the same box. You should take the copy of the signed FFL with you when you take the item to be shipped in case the shipper wishes to see it.

Notes on specific shippers:

US Mail: An unlicensed person can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Unlicensed persons cannot ship a handgun by US Mail. Postal regulations allow the Post Office to open your package for inspection. Ammunition cannot be shipped by US Mail. You can search the US Post Offer Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.

FedEx: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as dangerous goods.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. Most other shippers will no longer accept firearm shipments. Airborne and Roadway have specifically prohibited firearm shipments.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

USPS doesn't want handguns. Use UPS or FedEx. You can ship it personally to an FFL in your brothers State of residence. The FFL on his end will complete the transfer to him. The Gunbroker information is not 100% accurate. You do not need to have a copy of the FFl if you are not a dealer. You have to verify that you are sending it to a licensee. You can get an FFL mailed, faxed or e-mailed to you. You can also check the license status on the internet without actually receiving a copy. (Just think - is Winchester going to send you a copy of their license so you can send your gun there? You know they have one, it's verified). One of my pet peeves - it is an old wive's tale that you have to ship to the address on the FFL. Of course you're going to ship it there anyway to the shop receiving it for your brother. However, the actual law says you can ship it to the licensee at any address the licensee designates as long as the licensee can personally receive it and safeguard it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

86er wrote:USPS doesn't want handguns. Use UPS or FedEx. You can ship it personally to an FFL in your brothers State of residence. The FFL on his end will complete the transfer to him. The Gunbroker information is not 100% accurate. You do not need to have a copy of the FFl if you are not a dealer. You have to verify that you are sending it to a licensee. You can get an FFL mailed, faxed or e-mailed to you. You can also check the license status on the internet without actually receiving a copy. (Just think - is Winchester going to send you a copy of their license so you can send your gun there? You know they have one, it's verified). One of my pet peeves - it is an old wive's tale that you have to ship to the address on the FFL. Of course you're going to ship it there anyway to the shop receiving it for your brother. However, the actual law says you can ship it to the licensee at any address the licensee designates as long as the licensee can personally receive it and safeguard it.

Really nice to see a post on this subject that has it right!!!

Dennis.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Excellent post and replies 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FFLs can ship handguns via USPS.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Also, understand the extra shipping cost thru UPS or Fedex sometimes is more than you would be out by paying your FFL then sending it USPS. I sold a pistol to a guy on the board, it cost me $20 at the dealer to go thru him, and around $15 to ship insured thru the USPS. Fedex wanted $55. Didn't even try UPS, figured probably about the same.

Its a good idea to have a copy of the FFL dealer to where you are sending the gun. Makes it easier with who you are shipping the firearm. May not be required, but makes it easier
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yes, a non-FFL can ship a handgun interstate - but only to an FFL - but not through the US Mail.

I posted FFL to FFL via USPS because I've found it to be the least expensive & hassle-free method for handguns.

I also stated the need for a copy of the receiving FFL to go to the mailing FFL, because not every FFL is computor literate, or even has a computor/internet access - and your plans are screwed if you rely on a website check.

You already know enough, to not ask me how I found that out.