Leverguns vs. gunbroker

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Leverguns vs. gunbroker

Post by coyote nose »

Okay, let me rephrase this: What do you spend more computer time with: talking/reading about guns (leverguns) or looking at potential purchases (gunbroker). For me, between the 2, I probably do 75% leverguns, 25% gunbroker.
Leverguns = friendly people, lots of advice, lots of project ideas, & I don't get mad too often at what I see.
Gunbroker = lots of guns I'd never see at gunshows ( have not seen an 1866 winchester at a gunshow in probably 3 or 4 years), nice to see what items bring in the actual marketplace, but I sure do get mad at what some of the dealers do there!!!!!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I almost never go to gunbroker or any of the online auction sites.

And I spend 99% of my on line time here.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mostly here, some time on the SASS Wire (but I get tired of all the whinnin'), and sometimes look at Gunbroker when I'm notified that what I'm looking for is listed.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I almost NEVER go to GunsAmerica or Gunbroker or any other online gun sales site and have never purchased off any of them. Their prices are just outrageous, generally 50% to 100% over the actual value, an insult to the intelligence of any potential customers. Most of them are just fishing for suckers, or for those few folks who will buy stuff regardless of price just because they want it and there it is in front of them.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll only do online business here, LeverLuvers or MarlinOwners. There's kind of an unwritten standard of conduct that doesn't get breached amoung us.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Most of the time here.
I have noticed though that the parts section on Gunbroker has gotten allot more items.
I made my first auction win (Nobody else bid) for a .22 Mag cylinder for my Single Six, to replace one I lost 20 years ago. Just got it today and got it fit perfectly.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have purchased several guns off of gunbroker. It can be a bad habit, like going to a gunshow every day. :wink:

It is true there are not that many bargans on gunbroker, and buyer beware. Some dealers will try to start a gun way too high, but many will start a gun at a more resonable price.

The good thing about these sites is if you are looking for an older out of production gun that is hard to find, it can often be found there. My last purchase was a Marlin 39 LTD Century with an octagon barrel, straight grip, and cresent buttplate. This gun was like new and unfired. I got it for 505.00 plus shipping. The same gun at the Tulsa Gunshow was priced for $600.00 and I didn't have to pay sales tax on Gunbroker. Maybe not a bargan but you will look long and hard scouring the local gunshops for a gun like this, at any price and gas isn't cheap either.

The main thing is I don't purchase a gun if the pictures are not plentiful and of good resolution, and the seller's feedback is not good. I have had pretty good luck so far, on getting what I paid for.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AS you know I spend a lot of my on-line time here. However, you can't buy what you don't know about and when I'm interested I bookmark some good searches and hit Gunbroker.com, AuctionArms.com and GunsAmerica.com regularly. I've bought from sellser on all 3 sites, forum members, and others... Sometimes the price IS right and it never hurts to look! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, most of the time here for the camaderie. I have never bought a gun online but I have sold a few. I find it much easier to "wheel and deal" at gunshows. Here in Pa. there is a gunshow somewhere just about every weekend. And good gunshows like the Allentown, Harrisburg, York, Leesport, Valley Forge, and the Tomonium, Md. show. All of these shows have nice quality old Winchesters, Marlins, Colts etc. In addition to the dealers, someone is always walking through the door with something. Then there are the auctions of which there is always one going on. Its always cash and carry (between private citizens) which I like because, well, I pay enough in taxes through my paycheck

Sometimes the auctions go crazy but many times I had "highway robbed" 'em because someone did not know the rare variations. Gonna hit the Horst Auction on the 5th of Jan. www.horstauction.com
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

Almost exclusively here.

I rarely visit on line auction sites.

When I do a few times a year is just to see how many of a certain gun might be available at the time.
AQHA Life Member
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I rarely visit the online auction sites. Seems the only time I do is when a friend points out something of interest, like the #2 Roller that JReed pointed out the other day, and I won yesterday!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I read a lot of blogs and news sites all over the net. When I'm interested in forums most times I'm lurking here though I do spend a little time on marlin owners, levergunlovers, 1911forum.com, singleactions (sixgunner refugees) and the 1876 page of cas city. I do a lot more lurking than posting.

I have favorite searches on GB & AA and run them once/twice a week. I keep up and sometimes see new things. Haven't bought anything from AA, made a few purchases and sales on GB.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
irl104
Levergunner

Post by irl104 »

I use Gunbroker.com, AuctionArms.com, and GunsAmerica.com, and ebay.com several times a day. I'm looking and buying and normally not chatting. Although, I do visit Leverguns.com daily. I've bought from sellers on all the auction sites mentioned.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I use gunbroker more for research than anything else. I have some favorite searches such as S$W Model 58, Ruger .41 blackhawk, Ruger .40 vaquero and some others. I check then at least once a day to see what things that I am interested in are going for.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I've found some good deals on both AA and GB. I called MM93 with a ridiculously low priced #6 Ballard a few months ago. You just have to be patient.

Don't be like the guy that spent $900+ for a used 39A Mountie or the guy that just paid $13,000+ for a Nickle Colt Python. :shock:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

All here - right here. Unless they say something here about there.
Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

95-5, in favor of, of course, this site. I did buy my Browning 1886 SRC earlier this year off GunBroker.com.

I don't frequent any other discussion sites. Just don't have the time. You guys are stuck with me as long as you'll have me! :wink:
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

About 75% of my online time is here.
I also visit:
Single-actions.com
Handloads.com
Castboolits.com
PAFOA.com
and most recently...
Relaodersauction.com

I only go to gunbroker when I already know what I want beforehand.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I spend fully 90% of my online time on leverguns. The rest is at single actions.com or Traditional Bowhunting sites. I do check Gunblast from time to time and ocasionally the auction sites if i want to look for something specific.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I surf mostly between Leverguns, MarlinOwners, and LevergunLovers. 95%.

Probably another 4% at news sites like KeepandBearArms and WorldNetDaily, and a few others.

I peruse GunBroker and GunsAmerica when I'm looking for something new so that I can get a fix on what kind of money I'm planning to spend, plus a lot of things that cannot be found at the local gun-monger can be found on-line. GunBroker is a wonderful asset. 1%

:)
Lloyd Smale
Levergunner

Post by Lloyd Smale »

I agree with yo there. Ive never seen a site with more winers and guys that are stuck on themselves. I wont even look there anymore.
Griff wrote:Mostly here, some time on the SASS Wire (but I get tired of all the whinnin'), and sometimes look at Gunbroker when I'm notified that what I'm looking for is listed.