.45acp and Lee Factory Crimp Die

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

.45acp and Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by DixieBoy »

I've got a reloading question for you guys who shoot and load .45 acp rounds. I'm getting back into reloading. I've been told that some guys crimp their rounds (light taper crimp) and then go back and "smooth up" the whole round with one of the Lee Factory Crimp Dies.

How many of you all do this? How many do the entire crimping operation with the Factory Crimp Die?

I've never used one before, but have been told that they make your handloads just that much more professional looking. That sounds like a plus to me. I'd be interested in knowing how you guys familiar with this die use them. Thanks. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: .45acp and Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by J Miller »

I use my RCBS taper crimper after properly sizing and loading my cases. No need to "smooth out" anything with a Lee FCD if you've done the proper case prep and loading procedures.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Joe - Thanks. I'd first heard of the FCD after looking at some acceptable - but not beautiful - reloads someone had in a case at the range. Another fellow mentioned the Lee FCD, and since I'd heard about it, figured I'd ask about it here.

It might seem silly, but I figure that my reloads might as well be as sharp looking as I can make them. I'd only loaded ball before in the .45 acp, but I have seen funny bulges (not awful, but noticeable) in reloads at the range.

This time around I'm looking to load a variety of bullets, and was concerned about them looking as good as those first rounds of 230 grain ball I loaded a while back. Guess I'll have to jump in and see. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I loaded up a 100 rounds of .40 S&W this evening after dinner, finishing off the procedure with running them all through a Lee FCD. They do look sweet, and I have noticed a smidgeon more consistency on my reloads since going to these. The FCD normally runs just under $10 from Midway USA, and is one extra step in the reloading process. Well worth the meager expense and a little extra time! :D
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have the regular lee dies (3 die set, NO special crimp die) and have no issues with any of my bullets seating and holding securely. I will state that all of the bullets I use have the canular on the bullet. If your having issues, you may try to screw your die in just a bit further and back the bullet seating screw out just a bit. I have loaded and shot over 1000 rds now without an issue.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

With all my semi autos I use a taper crimp die only. Never had any problems.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You should be careful with the FCD when using it on cartridges that headspace on the mouth of the case, like the 45 ACP. A little too much crimp and you're going to have issues when the case mouth slips in the chamber too far. A light taper crimp is all that's needed on those types of rounds.
NRA Life Member
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I think the FCD is one of the best things that ever happened to reloading. I was converted to it reloading 45acp and it is all I use for the crimp when I use it. I use them on a number of calibers now. A small investment, give it a try.

Dave
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

TedH wrote:You should be careful with the FCD when using it on cartridges that headspace on the mouth of the case, like the 45 ACP. A little too much crimp and you're going to have issues when the case mouth slips in the chamber too far. A light taper crimp is all that's needed on those types of rounds.

That's what I've read too.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

The hardest cartridge I've ever worked on reloading has been 45acp(in a supporting role was 9mm). It's been the least forgiving of the little mistakes we all make. Never used the FCD on 45acp(it wasn't around then), I use the regular Lee dies. I've had lots of problems with 45acp ammo but it never turned out to be the crimp. It always turned out to be something else I was doing wrong for the application, bullet or firearm.

If you want to use the 45acp FCD, that's fine, unlike the revolver version, they are a taper crimp if a little more aggressive than other dies. Just remember it can cover up the real problem because if you're doing everything "else" right, it's not necessary, the normal crimp die works just fine.

I've discovered that overall length is where I do the most fussing when working with a new bullet now. I've found that when it is right, for the bullet, the load works in all my guns well. When I do finally get it right(I won't tell you how many 1000s of rounds it took me to learn this :oops: ), it was a revelation or at least it seemed like that to me :wink: .
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

DixieBoy wrote:Joe - Thanks. I'd first heard of the FCD after looking at some acceptable - but not beautiful - reloads someone had in a case at the range. Another fellow mentioned the Lee FCD, and since I'd heard about it, figured I'd ask about it here.

It might seem silly, but I figure that my reloads might as well be as sharp looking as I can make them. I'd only loaded ball before in the .45 acp, but I have seen funny bulges (not awful, but noticeable) in reloads at the range.

This time around I'm looking to load a variety of bullets, and was concerned about them looking as good as those first rounds of 230 grain ball I loaded a while back. Guess I'll have to jump in and see. - DixieBoy
Those little bulges, if at the base of the bullet just show you that you got a good tight neck tension. Nothing to worry about. Some, not all factory ammo has that too.

I've shot my .45 ACP ammo in 1911s, S&W revolvers, and Ruger Blackhawks with no functional issues what so ever. And I've never used the LFCD on any of them. The only FCD's I own are for .45 Colt and 30-30. I rarely use those.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I use the LFCD on .44 mag, .44 special, .32 H&R Mag, .30-06, and .223. I really like it and it does a great job smoothing the neck.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Thank you all for your replies. Ysabel Kid, you noted "going back" over your cartridges with the Lee FCD. I guess this is my question now: are you crimping with a standard taper crimp die, and then going back over your finished round with the Lee FCD, or is the entire crimping operation done with the Lee FCD ?

The latter would seem to make more sense, along with being easier. I'm not lazy, just want to make the best possible ammunition that I can. Thanks again to all. - DixieBoy
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Since other have brought up concerns regarding head space and the FCD I would like to add I haven't had any problems with the ammo I have produced using the FCD and that is with mixed brass. I just crank the stuff out and it feeds and fires fine in my Kimber Gold Match II. No use of the taper crimp, just the FCD.

Dave
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The only "crimp" I use when reloading 45 ACP is just enough to smooth out the flare, leaving the mouth of the case square. The 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth so I do not crimp any 45 ACP reloads. I use cast lead bullets and need a bit of flare so as to not shave lead when seating the bullets. Watch OAL and case mouth and no problemo!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

DixieBoy,
I shoot a fair amount of 45 ACP in weekly matches and found the Lee FCD helps a little if your cartridges are running fat from seating lead bullets (.4525"). I have a bunch of mixed brass I usually use and some of the thicker brands will be sized down some where the bullet is. This is from the carbide sizing ring in the bottom of the die (rifle Factory Crimp Dies don't have this feature).

In the .357 I shoot .3585" bullets and found the Lee FCD will size all the cases over the bullet, which in turn sizes the bullet inside the case. This defeats the purpose of using proper size bullets, so I don't use it on these. They do make a nice crimp on the mouth of the case, though.

Glenn
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Thanks guys. This all makes sense. I'm aware of the difference between our auto cartridge cases, and their headspacing requirements, versus rimmed cases like .357, .45 Colt, etc. Just wondered about the specifics of crimping from you guys who reload this round and are happy with your results. I'm grateful this level of expertise is available here, and from such a good bunch of guys. Thanks again. - DixieBoy
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

DixieBoy wrote:Thank you all for your replies. Ysabel Kid, you noted "going back" over your cartridges with the Lee FCD. I guess this is my question now: are you crimping with a standard taper crimp die, and then going back over your finished round with the Lee FCD, or is the entire crimping operation done with the Lee FCD ?

The latter would seem to make more sense, along with being easier. I'm not lazy, just want to make the best possible ammunition that I can. Thanks again to all. - DixieBoy
I "go back"; probably a needless step, but since it has worked for me thus far, why mess with it. I don't reload high volumes, or I'd have to change this operation. Someday a progressive machine may be in the cards, but right now it is either a single-stage press or a turret press used as a single-stage press, and the last step with the FCD adds maybe 5-10 minutes per 50 rounds...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A complete waste of time, IMNSHO. :P YMMV. :mrgreen:

I tried one out in .30-30, didn't do a thing, and my regular loads looked better and didn't have any sharp points around the crimp.

I thought about donating it to the Levergun Auction, but wouldn't want someone to pay money for something I'd throw away, especially someone on this forum. I'd Fleabay it, but then I'd still be pawning it off on some unsuspecting... well, I won't say it. Sot it'll sit on my bench as a reminder that what's touted as the "latest & greatest" :idea: ... may not be.

Edit:
mikld wrote:The only "crimp" I use when reloading 45 ACP is just enough to smooth out the flare, leaving the mouth of the case square. The 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth so I do not crimp any 45 ACP reloads. I use cast lead bullets and need a bit of flare so as to not shave lead when seating the bullets. Watch OAL and case mouth and no problemo!
What he said. Look at factory .45ACP, ain't no crimp on thise cases. Ammo makers use that tyoe of crimp solely for production reasons. 'Sides anytome you put a crease in brass, you're designated the spot it will fail at. Nice marketing ploy by Lee.

Rant off.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for a few rifle loads and all handgun loads except the rarely loaded .32 ACP (9mm, 40 S&W, .38 Spcl, .357 Magnum, .44 Spcl, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP). I have had no problems. I have most of my .45 ACP problems when loading SWC's, seating them the correct depth; but I am unaware of the Lee FCD causing any problems with my loads.

Using the seater/crimper die, one has to screw the plug up and down twice (set seating depth, back off, set crimp, then screw plug down again to original seating depth). One hopes that his original seating depth setting has not slipped with too aggressive of a turn of the screw. So that involves measuring the cartridge a second time with your micrometer for truly consistent loads. You have to go through this process with each different bullet type. I find it to be much easier, more accurate and quicker to set the seater with no crimp and then use the Lee crimper that is only set once for each caliber. And the Lee crimper's configuration makes it very difficult to over-crimp the bullet.

With a newer setup, I wouldn't be able to think of any cons. My setup - an old RCBS Piggyback Progressive Press - makes it a little harder to seat the bullets with the extra (Lee crimper) die. I had to move the seater to the back side, where the powder dispenser formerly sat, to accommodate the extra crimp die for the final procedure. Where I used to load bullets from the left and they were seated and crimped that station has the Lee FCD installed, which dumps the completed cartridges into the tray.

But it saves me from having to crimp the bullets in a separate run on my single stage press (RCBS Rockchucker), as some progressive press reloaders do.

Half of my dies are RCBS, so I had to purchase additional Lee FCD dies for several calibers. Even though it involved a little extra expense to buy the dies, and the inconvenience of having to reach behind to seat the bullets, I believe that the benefits are well worth it: Less setup time, more consistent adjustments between batches, and a predictable crimp that has consistently worked for my loads.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

That's where a Lee 4-hole turret press would come in handy. Four dies, four holes--no coincidence there...
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:That's where a Lee 4-hole turret press would come in handy. Four dies, four holes--no coincidence there...
This is a 5-holer progressive (Piggyback) setup. So with each crank of the handle, a bullet dumps at the last station (after crimping). That means that the seater must be placed in the back, just before the last station.

The advantage of the Piggyback progressive press (for readers who have never reloaded with one) is that each crank of the handle drops out a bullet; one case is being sized, while at a same time at the next spot of the carousel another case is belled, one is being filled with powder, one is seated, and I used up the extra station for the Lee crimper. It is pretty fast, but I wish there was a less awkward position to allow me place the bullet over the case, since this doesn't have an autofeeder for the bullets. I have an older Lee 3-hole turret and it is indeed handy for more precise loading, such as with rifle bullets. Most of my equipment was purchased second-hand from somebody who moved into the more expensive Dillon line, so I got a terrific deal on my equipment, even most of my dies.