Has anybody here used gunbroker ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Has anybody here used gunbroker ?

Post by azmark »

I've been thinking about getting a S&W model 10. I saw several on Gunbroker.com but I've never used them. Any opinions, positive or negative on using Gunbroker?
Mark Dickinson
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Gunbroker

Post by canonsix »

Yes I have had very good luck with GunBroker,HOWEVER the person selling the revolver is the one that cause troubles.Check out his feedback, I WILL NOT BUY FROM SOMEONE WITH 0 FEEDBACK SCORE, just my way of guarding my self, I have used GB 17 times hth Doug
Last edited by canonsix on Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a armed man is his own master
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have bought 10 or 11 rifles on gunbroker in the last year. Every one of those deals was just a sweet transaction and would suggest that if you use good comunication and are fast with payments you will have no problems there either. If it dont feel right , dont do it. trust your gut!!!
Look at the sellers feedback to see how others feel about him.

Go on the site and look up my feedback( Chuck 100 yd )to get a feel for how it works.
Have fun! :lol:
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I like Gunbroker. Plan on spending $50 more than purchase price due to their shipping costs (if any) and the fee that FFL dealers usually charge to receive incoming firearms. I have sold several guns on there. Make sure that you are honest about any problems with your guns and always ask lots of questions about the gun you are wishing to buy. Good luck.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've bought several guns thru gunbroker. However, it's the seller that determines just how good your experience is going to be. Get a flake, and you've got just that, a flake. Check their feedback.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SMP
Levergunner

Post by SMP »

I like the Gunbroker site,I've used it quite often.As others said it pretty much how the seller acts.I've had good experiences.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Gunbroker is just a site, it is the seller you have to "know" or trust. I've dealt with several with no problems. As with any on-line auction (including the maroons of eBay) you need to take certain precautions.

1. Deal with people you "know" either personally, through previous dealings on another site/auction or through overwhelmingly positive feedback. You can discount the once or twice "complainer" negatives but note the patterns.

2. Do some part of the transaction via the US Mail. This gives you the most persistent and aggressive law enforcement available over this sort of thing if something does go wrong. I.e. the US Postal Inspectors... :wink: You can't go wrong with paying via USPS Money Order.

3. If it is too good to be true, it is.

4. If they want to send you a check for a refund which is above the value of your refund and send them the difference, don't. There are several such scams such that my bank actually has a printed poster by each teller's window!

5. Ask for more and/or better photos. You should be able to see what you're getting. :wink:

6. Add $50 to any bid to get your true cost. Might be more for some people. This covers their shipping and FFL (where/if needed) and your FFL's transfer fee.

If I've duplicated or left anything out, note as necessary.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't worry about a complaint or two, if I read the response and determine the buyer was the issue. Especally if the seller has hundreds of positives, and only a few negs from whiners, or people with buyer's remorse looking for an out.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I have used GB for buying and selling quite a bit. Like everyone else said, look and the feedback and go from there. I won't buy from a no feedback seller, and neither will a lot of other folks.

OTOH, many of the best "deals" come from these inexperienced sellers so you will be tempted.

I am always amazed when I see a high dollar winchester with only 3 or 4 pictures from a no feedback seller. That kind of thing should be avoided, IMO.

Good luck!
Chad
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I've used Gunbroker for both buying and selling with mostly positive experiences. Study closely their feedback. I won't buy from 0 feedback sellers either and more closely scrutinize those with few transactions.

One thing in particular to take note of is if you plan to use a credit card, some spell out that they charge 3% for plastic, some don't. Definitely ask. Ebay doesn't allow it, like most retail stores they just consider it part of doing business. It doesn't sound like much but when I bought a Merkel shotgun two years ago, the seller did not disclose the credit card charge on the listing but tried to charge me anyway. 3% of $4000 is not an insignificant amount when you're just squeaking by already.

On a high note, I found an early all blue USPFA 4¾" .45Colt in like new condition with two C.O.W.S. leather rigs for $419. Believe it or not, I was the only bidder. As it turns out, the sixgun wasn't like new, it WAS new! As was the fine leather. The belts didn't fit so I sold one and gave another to a friend. I'm still grinning about that deal.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Alright now, everyone starts with 0 feedback. Even the guys that have over 1000 transactions started out a nobody. Right now as a seller I have 0 feedback "glbrt352(0)".

I am not incompetent, stupid, dishonest, shady, or anything of the kind just because I have not sold anything yet, and I resent the label you guys put on a zero feed back. :evil:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Andrew, Cudos for you saying that!! Very true. I have not sold on gunbroker and have bought 15 or so but the sellers have not posted feedback in 4-5 cases. that makes you look like a lesser qualified person also.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Andrew wrote:Alright now, everyone starts with 0 feedback. Even the guys that have over 1000 transactions started out a nobody. Right now as a seller I have 0 feedback "glbrt352(0)".

I am not incompetent, stupid, dishonest, shady, or anything of the kind just because I have not sold anything yet, and I resent the label you guys put on a zero feed back. :evil:

It's true everybody starts at zero but don't take it personally. You may be honest but nobody knows that. Anybody with a PC and internet access can register on Gunbroker, post a listing and take your money. Buying from a zero feedback seller IS taking a big chance. A feedback record at least indicates some history. In today's world you'd be a fool not to be overly cautious about this sort of thing. It sucks bad enough when you're the seller dealing with shady bidders. At least as the seller you're in more of a position of control and are less likely to get screwed. Reverse the roles and you're at their mercy because at some point, that zero feedback seller will have both your money and the product, if it even exists.

Not buying from zero feedback sellers is simply being cautious.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

It still iritates me.

If everyone had that idea, and followed it to a "T", there would be no new sellers. Nobody would buy from them, and only people that already had feedback(people that were new at one time also) would be the only ones that could do buisness. That's "guilty until proved inocent".

I do realize that not everyone on the Web can/should be trusted and that there are warning signs/flags that should be avoided, but being black-listed for 0 feedback, not cool.
ImageImage
The Boring Blog
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Andrew,

Why be irritated with fact. Fact is not that zero feedback guys (like myself as a seller) are dishonest only that we have no record of our honesty. BIG difference. To counter this I invite folks to check my feedback on eBay where I've done pretty well even though only about 25% of my customers bothered to leave feedback. Right now that is about the ONLY reason to maintain the eBay account.

Pretty soon, I'll be putting up some grips, mostly for post 66 Colt Detective Specials, on Gunbroker. Stag, Eagle wood, and even a Pachmayr. I'm going to ask for payment through Gearpay.com NOT PayPal. I don't want PayPal for the same reason I don't want to sell on eBay.

Enough digression. Every new seller has to have the first couple of buyers who are members of that percentage of gunbroker buyers that A: don't look at feedback/don't understand feedback or B: are willing to take a chance to get a unique/rare/cheap item. In the past I've been one such. I realize that some zero feedback folks are just individuals with a gun or two that they are trying to rid themselves of and get the maximum out of it, i.e. perhaps not get ripped off by their local dealers.

Oh, my IDs on eBay are "flying_pig_collectibles" and "oldsarge543".

PS One more thing, I've a few ideas on buying (and thus selling) guns...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
alamogunr
Levergunner

Post by alamogunr »

I have bought guns on GunBroker, AuctionArms, GunsAmerica and from private individuals here on Leverguns. While none of the transactions could be considered the deal of a lifetime, I got what I wanted and what was described. In one case the gun came in rather dirty. But as they sometimes say about me, it cleaned up good. Admittedly, if communication was slow, I might get a little nervous, but in every case the seller came through. When dealing with an individual you don't have feedback to give any indication of reliability but most folks are honest, especially here.

John
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Conversely, feedback doesn't GUARANTEE one of not encountering a dishonest person. I bid, won and paid for a couple of "new, factory buttplates" for a Winchester 94, seller had over 98% approval rating, with over 1500 sales, 2, I say, TWO negative comments. I waited, and waited patiently some more. Finally emailed seller. No response. Contacted EBay and requested detailed contact info. It was provided. No response from seller. I'd paid thru PayPal. Contacted them, said "notify your CC company", the total and complete response from them. What a waste. Ebay finally jerked the guy's account and banned him. I'm still burnt out of a $100. Am I mad, not really, $100 lesson. I only pay with either Western Union or Postal Money orders, use the USPS to deliver payment and request shipment via USPS "Registered Mail". Could I get burned again anyway, yes. Have I been, no. But, I ain't jumpin' all over every bargain I run across either.

Andrew, don't take it personal. The guys on the forum would have offered the same advice to you, had you asked the question. Just like, when you do get that first sale, please don't ship until you receive payment in hand, and if that means waiting till the check clears, so be it. No sense in your getting burned from the seller's end either.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I worked all day and now I feel better. :D

Thanks for the link Hobie, it is a good read!
ImageImage
The Boring Blog