35 Remington low powered loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

35 Remington low powered loads

Post by silverbuzzard »

I have a Marlin and would like to shoot buckshot [OOO] crimped in case with a small powder charge for coyotes and cats in back yard
Anyone ever play with reduced loads in 35 or even a 44 mag?
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 35 Remington low powered loads

Post by bcp »

There was an article long ago about some squirrel hunters using the 35 Whelen with light loads. They had trouble with the headspace gradually shortening due to firing pin impact and not enough pressure to expand the case. A conversion to 35 Whelen Improved gave them a larger shoulder and solved the problem.

A 35 Remington has even less shoulder, but the Marlin will probably not hit the cartridge as hard as a bolt action.

I would try loading one cartridge repeatedly and see what happens.

A little known advantage of rimmed cartridges. :D

Bruce
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

You might try 150 gr. or more cast bullets, home brewed or store boughten. Single loaded hollow based WC loaded hollow base up with a light chg. of bullseye might me neat...Let us know. So that cases don't shrink you can load a light load or two and then switch to a full power load with that case....afish4570 :) :) :)
afish4570
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I had a GASP! Remington Model 8 and shot a lot of low powered loads in the gun. I have used round balls but accuracy was not quite as good as using a .357 diameter bullet. In the Remington just about any cast slug worked well but in a Marlin with micro groove rifling you need to watch your sizing and your alloys closely. My favorite plinking load in the 35 was a 125 gran cast bullet sized to 358 and either 6.0 of Trail Boss or 5.5 of Red dot. With Red Dot I use a LP primer as a LR primer seemed to be more finicky as to powder position. With the Trail Boss load i was getting under 2" at 50 yards with open iron sights and sometimes i coulld shade an inch if the light was just right. For longer range work I used 12.0 grains of Red Dot with a 200 grain rngc cast slug. This is a good medium range target load. In the Marlin with micro groove any 357 jacketed slug will work just fine and a 125 HP can be pushed any where from 750 to over 2000 fps depending on powder charge. Powders suitable for reduced loads in the 35 Remington run from 2400 to Bullseye and I have found that Red Dot and Unique are about the best all round for plinking. RX7 and the 200 RNGC bullet make a fine ful power load and I get no leading even at over 2100 fps in the Remington.
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

You guys are great ! Never crossed my mind to use a 148 HBWC
Will try all/some of above and report back IF this winter ever ends !
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

As an old pistol shooter....don't reload an upside down hollow based wadcutter very fast.....It can blow a hole through the center of the slug and lodge in the barrel somewhere and the next one will hit it and RING THE BARREL......caution with one.afish4570 :wink: :wink:
afish4570
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

thanks ya when I was a police officer back in 70s the favorite for our carry snubs was an inverted cutter. then federal came out with it and we all went to it
thanks for the tip
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 35 Remington low powered loads and hollow based WC

Post by afish4570 »

silverbuzzard wrote:thanks ya when I was a police officer back in 70s the favorite for our carry snubs was an inverted cutter. then federal came out with it and we all went to it
thanks for the tip
"To reduce the chance of "blow through" with some brands a gas check will fit on the solid base and and give you a "hollow point"......this is for loading and upside down hollow based wad cutter. Again use caution and keep powder charge down for leading..these are usually soft lead swaged bullets....Common sense and caution is advised!!!!afish4570 :roll: :roll: :roll:
afish4570
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

Just spotted a line in Pacos 35 Remington article. Says he mentions "ball" loads in his CD, Guess I better send the Ol buzzard 20 bucks !