Possibly somewhat OT - What was the very best deal...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Possibly somewhat OT - What was the very best deal...

Post by Ysabel Kid »

you ever made on a firearm-related item (guns, ammo, reloading supplies, etc,)? Not something you were given, but a deal you made?

Floodgates: OPEN! :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Possibly somewhat OT - What was the very best deal...

Post by Borregos »

Way back in the early eighties I picked up a still greased never fired Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine and a 1889 Marlin in 44-40 at a garage sale for $50 each, did not even haggle. Swapped the Lee Enfield for a Ruger Bisley in 357Mag and still have the Marlin. :D :D :D
Best series of deals I have ever made on anything :!: :D :!: :D :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

okay, game is over... Pete won!

nice find Pete.

I'm still waiting and have a feeling I'll be waiting a looong time in CA.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, a few years ago, I offered 200 for a LN no box 336 w/decent 3x9 on it, and he took the deal. I told him that was cheap, but he wanted the money and not the hassle of selling it himself.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Well not mine but a buddy went into a pawnshop just looking around and there was a kid (18-19) behind the counter. friend saw 2 identical side by side shotguns on the rack, a 12 and a 20. He asked to see them both and after looking them over he was interested in the 20. He asked the kid how much? The kid replied $500. My friend said can you do any better on the price? Kid thought it over and said No, $500 for both is the best I can do. Friend nearly threw his back out reaching for his wallet. he ended up selling both shotguns about a year later for $900 each. Would hate to have been that kid when the owner got back from lunch.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

There's been a few good ones over the years but about two years ago I went to a very large auction which only had one gun. The auctioneer was way behind and moving thorough items as quickly as possible. When they got to a Winchester 92 in 32-20 which he informed the crowd had a reserve,he started out with the normal "who'll start me out with $1,000." When nobody bid, he said put it back for the next sale. At the end of the auction I asked the auctioneer's wife "just for kicks, what can you sell that rifle for". I asked just for amusement, but when asked, "Would you pay $100?" I just told her "yes ma-am" and pulled out the money! :D
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I once got a 98 Mauser action and barrel for $45 at a gun show. That's about it.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I picked up a Freedom Arms Mdl 83 Premier in 475 Linebaugh that had only been fired 6 times, two of those by me, for $700.00 dollars. :D
Ricky

DWWC
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

One day out of the blue, I received a call from a local gun shop where I did business for 25 years. I had moved out of state about 6-8 months earlier. @ times I helped John w/ unpacking, pricing, stocking shelves, cleaning consignment firearms, etc.

John asks if I wanted a Trapdoor carbine & gives me the serial number, which turned out to be a very early second year production carbine & predated the highly lusted after & high value Custer timeframe carbines.

I told John what he had & said I couldn’t afford it. John asked what I meant. I told him that because it was pre-Custer & in really good shape (it is 85% + condition & is 100% GI issue correct), that it was worth some very serious money.

John replied the deceased owner’s grandson wanted US$500.00 for it as the grandson said he really the money right then & there. Again, I told John I can’t afford it. John said that we have been friends for a long while & I was the only one who told him the true value. Then he said, I’m shipping it UPS, send me $600.00 if you want it.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I got a J.C. Higgins bolt action 12ga in decent shape, fully functional, for $56. I paid $291 for my Blackhawk and I love that thing. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

A trade I made with my former father-in-law years ago: my Series 70 Colt Commander .45ACP for his Detonics MkVI .45ACP

Had to sell the Detonics and other firearms after I went through a divorce and subsequent bankruptcy so I could eat back in 2001. Miss that Detonics. It was a great shooter and conceal carry sidearm.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

A few years ago I saw a box of knives at a garage sale marked used pocket knives $25. I looked to see if maybe a good buck or puma might be present. There was a handmade damascus bladed folder with fossil walrus ivo9ry scales. I got it and carried it to the maker ( a co worker) I knew that his knives had some collector value. It was his first folder and the only one made with that style of lock. Here is the gun part. A few years later I traded it even for a like new Marlin 95 in 45 70. Total cash outlay $25 and toting a little extra weight to a few gun shows.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Both .32-20s.

I paid $350 for the SRC and $430 for the rifle at auction..

Lousy photo but only one I have right now.

Or the 95 Russian musket I paid $600 for w/ the bayonet.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rhead wrote:A few years ago I saw a box of knives at a garage sale marked used pocket knives $25. I looked to see if maybe a good buck or puma might be present. There was a handmade damascus bladed folder with fossil walrus ivo9ry scales. I got it and carried it to the maker ( a co worker) I knew that his knives had some collector value. It was his first folder and the only one made with that style of lock. Here is the gun part. A few years later I traded it even for a like new Marlin 95 in 45 70. Total cash outlay $25 and toting a little extra weight to a few gun shows.

I picked up a damascus blade Morseth bone handeled fixed blade knife at an auction for $25 in a box of stuff. I sold it at a show fr $450.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

An aquaintance of my dads was selling his guns. He has a bunch of them. It always seems that when a good deal comes along I dont have the cash to take advantage. Well upshot of it is a made a deal for;

1-Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag (like new)
1-Marlin 336cs 30-30 (about 85%)
1-Mossburg 590 12 ga.(about 95%)
1-Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag (Kinda Rough finish but smooth action)
1-Taurus Mod 33 (Like S&W 586) in .357 mag (like new)
1- vz-33 in .308 (really nice bolt action, older but in great shape!) I know nothing about this except I think it is a Mauser or something.

Anyway $800 out the door for everything. He is a General Contractor and has taken these and others as payment over the years. I will try to post pictures later.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I walked into my local FFL holder to get a copy of his lic. to send out to purchase over the internet a Winchester 9422 in 80% condition for $350 - when I looked upon his shelf and he had a 95+% late 1970's model 9422 up there - I asked to see it and asked how much - he said the guy wants 200 for it - I said I'll take it and walked out of the shop with it.

In terms of money made or saved - it is not alot, but this rifle has become a favorite of mine and shots great.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

well after winchester closed, i bought a as nib trapper 9422 in
near perfect condition with a simmons scope on it for 375...
cant find em now for less than 8 bills
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I bought a mint condition Woodward (British) best quality 12 ga. over and under with an extra set of barrels, all in a leather trunk case for $300.00. I sold it six months later for $3,000.00. Today it would be worth $200,000 at least.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, it wasn't a trade, but a new purchase. When Randall announced that they were going to produce left handed 1911's, I manage to get one. It took a bit of arm twisting from my local shop, but since they made less than 500 of the model I got, it was by far the best "deal" on a firearm I've ever made.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

Back in the early eighties as i recall it ,the price of silver went sky high due to some wealthy speculators.
I had been saving any silver coins I came across in my daily activities and some other coins from my metal detecting excursions, not a whole lot really .
When it got to the point that I could trade one dollars face value in silver for eighteen paper dollars I sold my coins and was talking about it at work.
A coworker only heard the part about me being interested in old coins and asked me if i would be interested in some old coins he had, I said sure and bring them in for me to look at..
Sometime before all this had taken place I had brought an old "KING NITRO" hardware store side by side in to show the boys at work and this fellow wanted it.
He stepped out to his car and returned with a large Nestle Chocolate milk tin and handed it to me, I pried open the lid and it was half full of old coins.
To cut this short he got the King NITRO and I ended up with some old pennies and nickles and $44.00 in silver that
got me a PILE of cash.
creosote
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Traded a 110 volt mig welder ($400) for a pre-64 Mod. 70 375 H&H in mint condition. Been seeing them bring upwards of $2500 these days.
NRA Life Member
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I bought a used-like-new Winchester 94 for $200 OTD, 3 days before Winchester announced their closing.
A few months ago I traded a very nice Swiss K31 even for a like new S&W 625 pre-lock.
The owner of the 625 made the offer. :D
I had bought the K31 for $79 when the market was flooded with them.

Jack
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

There has been a few good deals I have come across but the best was probably a pre-WW1 Winchester Model 12 that appeared nearly unfired (had one tiny spot in the stock finish near the wrist). An older gentleman had it on his table at a gun show without a price so I asked him for curiosity's sake what he had to have for it and he said he figured it ought to be worth at least $150 "as they don't make them anymore." I ended up pulling the threads loose on my pants pocket getting the money out. I felt pretty bad about it so I went back and told him that it was worth more than he got for it and offered more money to him but he said no. Apparently, it had been on his table all morning and nobody even asked about it. He also had a remington-made pocket pistol in 41 rimfire that was new in the box. He only wanted $150 for it too but I convinced him to take it to a friend's table who was a collector of those things and he got considerably more for it.

At that same show, I bought an early flat-top single six for $100 and the lady gave me a holster she had made for it by Bob Mars saddlery out of Amarillo. I gave them to my dad as a birthday present.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Bought in 1992 a gunshow dealer labeled "Swedish 96/38"rifle for $85 out the door.Problem was it actually was a unconverted excellent condition M96 swedish contract german Obendorf manfactured in 1898 with all matching numbers.Sold it six years later for $600 to a collector. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."