OT.. Appaloosa cowboy movie

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

OT.. Appaloosa cowboy movie

Post by big bear »

Football season over so watching movies again with the ol'lady. Saw "W" lastnight. Has anyone seen the newish western Appaloosa? Any good? My kids rented the new Batman for us over holidays, it was better than I expected, the bad guy was really bad.. Mostly the old folks watch old B&W movies, especially Bogart and Bacall.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT.. Appaloosa cowboy movie

Post by kimwcook »

I, personally, was disappointed in the movie "Appaloosa". It was correct in it's period of clothing, firearms, etc.. but the movie just never got off the ground for me. I thought Ed Harris could of done a better job.
Old Law Dawg
DavidF
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidF »

It was enjoyable. Not quite as good as "3:10 to Yuma" but close. Nowhere near as good as "Open Range", but there isn't much that is besides "Lonesome Dove" and maybe "Tombstone". If you like westerns even a little bit you should definitely check it out. Several good gunfight scenes and a couple of great one liners.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The story line was ok but the acting was pretty bad. Rene Zelwigger (sp?) was really, really, bad. The shooting, guns, and the like was pretty good.

Glad I only paid $3.99 to see it on Pay Per View instead of paying $15.00 or so for it in the store. I wouldn't want it in my VHS/DVD collection of Western and War flicks.
ED
Yer never too old
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

It comes on tonite for me at 0:900 Pm. On pay-preview. I plan on watching it tonite. I seen another movie I had all but forgot about. The name of the movie was "Doc". I watched it 2 times and hope to find the movie someday in the old movie stack. Has anyone seen that movie. starring Stacy Keech as Doc.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Worth seeing if nothing else is on. One of those "worth seeing but not worth going to see" sort of things.
DavidF
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidF »

Modoc ED wrote: Rene Zelwigger (sp?) was really, really, bad.
Situation Normal. :)
I think I'll pop in "Open Range" :D
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Although Open Range is a great movie, I have watched it so many times I can almost remember every line in the flick.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

The Squeeze & I saw the movie. Like most Hollywood productions, it is just an afternoon's entertainment -- nothing more; nothing less.

"Appaloosa" is one of those films that the viewer likes or doesn't like.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

With 5 star rating being the best, I would give it 2.5 at tops.......mainly for the guns and gun action...and period dress........rest was pretty mediocre
UNITE
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I was dissapointed. Just couldn't get into it. Loved dude and his 8 Gage though :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I am a chronic enjoyer of movies. True to type I enjoyed the movie in quesion. I saw it in the threater and rented if again last week. I enjoyed it again.
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:Although Open Range is a great movie, I have watched it so many times I can almost remember every line in the flick.
I liked Open Range and have it but I always catch myself fast forwarding the chapters to the main gunfight scene.
It may have been better if they would have cast someone besides Kevin Costner to play opposite Robert Duvall.
I thought Costners character portrayal in that movie was flat and he didn't pull off the "Troubled man with a past" well at all.
I also thought the love interest with Annette Benning really developed too fast and was really not very important to the story, She could have been left out all together and it would have made the movie better.
Robert Duvall was born to do westerns but Costner? IDK.
I actually thought Broken Trail was a better movie.
If You would have taken Broken Trail and added the gunfight scene from Open Range and used Thomas Hayden Church instead of Kevin Costner that would have been a great movie.
That is my own personal review of "Open Range" and is worth exactly what you paid to read it. :)
I haven't seen the Appaloosa movie but have a problem with Ed Harris playing Snipers in war movies and gunslingers as he is such an anti gun twit in real life.
I have a hard time sympathizing with a character when I don't like the person portraying them in real life.
Last edited by Str8man on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

it was just okay...
my 10 favorite westerns are
Winchester 73 Jimmy Stewart
The Searchers John Wayne
Crossfire Trail Tom Sellect
Rio Bravo John Wayne
Eldorado John Wayne
Lonesome Dove Robert Duvall Tommy Lee Jones
Quick and the Dead Sam Elliot
The Sacketts Tom Sellect & Sam Elliot
7 Men from Now Randolph Scott
Open Range Kevin Costner Robert Duvall

Kevein Costner is working on a new western...
I think it will be call "Hayes" or something like that.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Kind of a quirky movie...I did like Viggo Mortensen as Hitch.
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like it better than 3:10 to Yuma.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

Have watched a million western and rimfire and I agree on most. Sam Elliot and Kate Capshaw in "Quick and the Dead" is about my favorite. Ok, I admit Capshaw is about the sexiest woman I have ever seen, at least in this movie. Other than that the Searchers does it for me. All good though. Agree on Costner, he is a royal PIA as far as I'm concerned.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

My wife and I rented it, and I have to say that although we enjoyed it, I can understand how some didn't. Yes, Miss Zellwiger can't act, but (in my opinion) one of the reasons that people either like or dislike this movie may have to do with the laconic dialogue between the two good guys.

Robert B Parker (Spenser & Hawk, Jesse Stone, Sunny Randall, etc.) wrote the original book by the same name, and when Ed Harris decided to produce the movie he stayed pretty much true to the characteristic Parker short dialogue. Therefore, fans of Robert B Parker's Spenser novels may well appreciate Appaloosa better than those who are not familiar with Parker's works.

Noah
Last edited by Noah Zark on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Life in the Old West wasn't all about catchy dialogue and blazing action... Not even in the peacekeeping business.

Cole & Hitch have been working together for a long time, and what passes between them is old and comfortable, with only an occasional dash of pepper for flavor. If you've worked closely with a man for many years, you get the drift pretty easy; otherwise it flies right over your head. Their concerted disdain for miscreants is palpable, as it would (and should) be.

Life in many parts of today's West is not all that different from what is portrayed in the film, and having been there for many many moons (still there, FWIW) I am fortunate and grounded enough to "get" it...

Ms Zellweger's character isn't necessarily 'simpatico' in the first place. she's a woman of "negotiable virtue," who's just trying to survive as best she can, and her approach to life, truth & the American Way is just a little off center...

Saw it at the local magic-lantern house, and bought myself a DVD copy as soon as it hit the retail shelf....
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
txbirdman
Levergunner

Post by txbirdman »

I didn't think much of the movie. It started good but seemed to drag and turn into a "chick flick" by the end. Of course, my favoite western by far is Outlaw Josey Wales for it's "one liners" especially by Chief Dan George and authentic weapons and historical relevance.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I liked it, my wife didn't. One of the things I like about it is true of most newer westerns, not everybody in the west carried a 92 Winchester and a Colt SAA. I don't care for Rene Zellweger in anything, and don't understand the attraction. Tom Selleck would have made a lot better Virgil Cole than Ed Harris, but it was his movie.

I liked the ending, where Hitch just couldn't let that *** go on living.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Was underwhelmed when I saw it in theaters. Rented it recently and liked it a lot better.

Never could quite understand Virgil's attraction to Ally, especially after he learned of her weakness. I'd have shot her, or let the Indians have her.

I enjoyed Hitch's character, but the 8 gauge was used more as a prop than a weapon.

~Michael
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thought I missed this one months ago, and then it showed up on the marquee over in Boothbay Harbor, just down the road a piece. After a nice meal at the harbor's Chinese food restaurant, my bride and I went to see Appaloosa...

"Underwhelmed" is how someone else described it -- yup, that works for me too...

It was so poor -- compared to all the hype -- they should have called it "Appa-LOSER".

Could have spent that money on reloading supplies :D but at least we had a great supper.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I recently bought the DVD... and while I've enjoyed what I remember of it... I've fallen asleep 3 times trying to watch it to the end.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

flb wrote:Have watched a million western and rimfire and I agree on most. Sam Elliot and Kate Capshaw in "Quick and the Dead" is about my favorite. Ok, I admit Capshaw is about the sexiest woman I have ever seen, at least in this movie. Other than that the Searchers does it for me. All good though. Agree on Costner, he is a royal PIA as far as I'm concerned.
are you guys serious? i think i like the version with Sharon Stone better . Capshaw is a fine drink a water, but i thought the movie was boring
----- Doug
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Streetstar wrote:
flb wrote:Have watched a million western and rimfire and I agree on most. Sam Elliot and Kate Capshaw in "Quick and the Dead" is about my favorite. Ok, I admit Capshaw is about the sexiest woman I have ever seen, at least in this movie. Other than that the Searchers does it for me. All good though. Agree on Costner, he is a royal PIA as far as I'm concerned.
are you guys serious? i think i like the version with Sharon Stone better . Capshaw is a fine drink a water, but i thought the movie was boring
Sharon "I'm a slut" Stone...and Leonarda DeCRAPio
SUCKED...in that movie...not to mention the plot...
I cant believe Gene Hackman
even shared the same set with those two IDIOTS
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

RIHMFIRE - Can't blame you for your comment regarding DeCapprio. Would have nothing to viewing any of his movies, ...until the wife and I watched. "Blood Diamond". What a story and acting job by DeCap. Then a couple of weeks ago we saw him in "Body of Lies". Another DeCapprio tour de force in a very good movie. Watched it twice and it was even better the second time. Wouldn't have believed it was him in either movie if he hadn't been top billed in both of those flicks.

Sorry for the hijack of the Appalosa thread, but thought I would provide a couple of options for two great action/drama movies with a "different" DeCapprio.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Ok, now that we brought it up, who should have played Cosner's role in Open Range?
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

I liked old Kevin in open range, but if they were another person to play it i would pick "Russel Crow, the way he talks would have the movie as well or maybe, "Slim Pickings" JUST JOKING. I think Thomas church should have played in both Open Range and Broken Trail.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I bought it for the good review in Guns Of The Old West magazine. Now I remember why I quit buying magazines!

Griff, not to worry, the sleeping part had to be better than the watching part! I blew 20 bucks on this one. Ed Harris and Renee Zellwigger, sooooooo bad! OOPs, can't find the little "upchuck" smiley. :roll:
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

RIHMFIRE wrote:[
Sharon "I'm a slut" Stone...I cant believe Gene Hackman
even shared the same set with those two IDIOTS

Sharon Stone is probably the only reason i even watched it ------ hubba hubba

I thought it had a Lance Henrikson cameo too I loved his "Millenium" series ---
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Gun Smith wrote:Ok, now that we brought it up, who should have played Cosner's role in Open Range?

Kevin Costner did it great in my mind. Viggo Mortenson could have done it. Selleck is too cool to have a "past" -- the man is right here and right now.

If i had to branch beyond this genre' (which is shrinking) -- i'd say Luke Wilson could do it , plus the guy who played Woodrow Call in Comanche Moon.

Daniel Craig if it wasnt for the british accent part
----- Doug
Captain America
Levergunner

Post by Captain America »

I would have watched the movie and I even made an effort to catch him on a show talking about it. The part that made the movie disappear was when he was done talking about he launched into a song and dance about how much he disliked George Bush. Poof the movie went off my radar.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

kimwcook wrote:I, personally, was disappointed in the movie "Appaloosa". It was correct in it's period of clothing, firearms, etc.. but the movie just never got off the ground for me. I thought Ed Harris could of done a better job.
Ed Harris is one of my favorites, but he's always a little too.... wooden?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Warhawk wrote: I don't care for Rene Zellweger in anything, and don't understand the attraction.
I liked the ending, where Hitch just couldn't let that *** go on living.

Boy -- finally finished this movie ! --- Its daylight savings time now and i am usually doing something outside until dark, so i can never pop a movie in until 9pm or so --- then i last 20 minutes before visiting the sandman :lol:

Zellweger is irritating --- probably more so for the character than her personally. The time frame of this movie is maybe 3 or 4 weeks ---- there was a name (and still is to some degree) for a woman who would sleep with 3 men in that short a time frame

The end did kick tail though
----- Doug
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My wife and I enjoyed the movie. We rented it first and I told her to buy it when she sees it at WalMart.
I actually liked Rene Zellweger's part. She really played the part of an insecure person who was attracted to power and whoever would feed her the best tidbits. I've worked in the same company with women who did these things, and she got the part down pat.

As for the action in the movie I'm thinking that kind of stuff is what we need now. Bad guys = behave or die.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Streetstar wrote: Zellweger is irritating --- probably more so for the character than her personally. The time frame of this movie is maybe 3 or 4 weeks ---- there was a name (and still is to some degree) for a woman who would sleep with 3 men in that short a time frame
For the longest time, I thought it was "Mom". As for Zelweger being irritating, there is very little about her that doesn't irritate the stuff out of me; she does about 10 different accents, and sucks at all of them, and she always looks like she just got a mouthful of really sour milk.
J Miller wrote:I actually liked Rene Zellweger's part. She really played the part of an insecure person who was attracted to power and whoever would feed her the best tidbits.
Joe
She seems to be that way in real life.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, I finally saw the end. Only took two more tries... once starting in the middle, and then lastly starting at the "shootout" scene. I liked it... especially the ending. Hitch did good!

Edit: Hate that single click button!

Demonstrates that period of time before political correctness and lack of personal responsibility that it was not uncommon for past deeds to catch up to you. Hitch may have not been the most moral of persons... but his sense of right, wrong and justice was spot on. Viggo did a good job. As usual, self directed films have poor performances by the star/director (generalization... sure there's a few exceptions).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I enjoyed Apaloosa. Westerns are like guns. I never saw one I didn't like but I have seen a lot I wouldn't buy.
El Guapo
Levergunner

Post by El Guapo »

Doesn't anyone remember the original "Appaloosa" movie with Marlon Brando, Anjeanette Comer and John Saxon?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Guapo wrote:Doesn't anyone remember the original "Appaloosa" movie with Marlon Brando, Anjeanette Comer and John Saxon?
Nope, never heard of the "original" one. Never liked Brando either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Yes, I do. jd45
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I will take ANY western over most movies today.
"That'll Be The Day"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

rangerider7 wrote:I will take ANY western over most movies today.
Amen to that. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

El Guapo wrote:Doesn't anyone remember the original "Appaloosa" movie with Marlon Brando, Anjeanette Comer and John Saxon?
That movie was a turd if there ever was one, but it had an awful lot of great one liners.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer