218 Bee bullets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

218 Bee bullets?

Post by spurgon »

I was looking for bullets for my Browning 65 in 218 Bee. I thought that we

use the same bullets as for the 22 Hornet. However, none of the bullets have

a nose design that looks friendly to the tubular magazine. Does this not

matter in a low recoiling round like the bee? What are the recommendations?

spurgon
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is what I use in my Marlin CL. But several years ago, I did some experimenting. I took a primed case (no powder) and loaded it with a bullet in which I drilled a 1/32" hole through the center of it. (longways) I then put that "loaded" round in the magazine of my Marlin. Behind that round, I inserted a very pointy "loaded" round on the primer of the previous "loaded" round. I then shot that marlin 100 times, all the time subjecting the "loaded" round to the recoil. After the 100 rounds I ejected the "loaded" round and there was nothing on the primer.

I have also taken soft points and touched them on a little belt sander to take off the exposed lead tip and to reduce the length so they would feed. They were all accurate. In the second picture, it was a 50 gr. Remington SP sanded down to take this fox. -------Sixgun

Image,

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

M336
Levergunner

Post by M336 »

I also shoot an 1894CL and the bullet I've used the most is a Rem 45grHP. The nose is blunt enough I've never worried about it and I've shot a pile of them through this rifle, also the recoil isn't enough to really worry about. I use a Lee FCD with them, I've never had any problems with them pushing into the case but the group size dropped quite a bit with them crimped. Of course your rifle might disagree but mine liked them crimped. The Rem's are pretty reasonable to buy in bulk also from Midway or other sources.
jtaylor1960
Levergunner

218 BULLETS

Post by jtaylor1960 »

I use ballistic tips with the tip filed back to the bullet jacket.That gives you a fairly wide meplat.Use you own judgement,but it seems to work for me.
dimrod
Levergunner

Post by dimrod »

Just use the Hornady (45 gr., I think) or Speer 46 gr. flat nose bullets. Both work great in my 218 Bee and 219 Zipper. Just don't expect to recover much edible meat on small game. They kill efectively.