.357 Revolver Suggestions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

.357 Revolver Suggestions

Post by El Chivo »

I've been starting to think about getting a .357 revolver to carry while hunting, around the house, and to take to the bathroom. etc. Seriously, the main purpose would be to have it as protection while hunting. Or, when not hunting, maybe I could just take a handy revolver instead of humping a 7 pound rifle around.

I've decided on .357 because I already reload for it and have two rifles in that caliber. I've never felt like getting into the 40's for a caliber, even though I do like it as an age thing.

My main need would be to pull it when being rushed by a cougar. But it has to be satisfying to practice with also.

I am intrigued by the Smith and Wesson offerings with a 6 inch barrel, but could carry as short as 4" in the field legally. Is a 6" hard to handle? Would you go with another brand? Is 44 ounces too heavy to consider?

I shot a .357 snubby and didn't like the way it stung my hand. In general I like some barrel. But if I can't aim it, or hold it, I'd have to go shorter. But it's 4" minimum in the field.

Suggestions?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

The 4 3/4" Ruger Blackhawk would be my first choice. The S&W 686 would be my second.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

4" Model 19 Smith is my favorite gun.

You may hear the 19 won't take full magnum loads, but chances are great you'll never shoot enough thousands of full magnum loads to loosen one at all.

Never forget to always clean your guns when switching from .38 to .357 or from lead to jacketed. Very important.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I'll vote for the Ruger Blackhawk, 6.5" barrel.
You'll get a little better accuracy, a little more velocity, and it still comes up like, *snap!*.

Maybe not as quick as a 4 3/4" barrel, but what's an inch and a quarter?

If you wanted something to shoot a deer comfortably out to 50yds, you'd want the 6.5".
I have one, and even a novice like myself can hit a pie plate very consistently at 30yds. Not much of a kick and it balances.

You just point it and it sits there on target.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I have both the 686 Smith in 6 inch and the 19 (actually mine is a 66 just the stainless version) in 4 inch. Both carry nicely, the bigger frame and full lug on the 686 make it easier to shoot and more accurate. If I were just buying to hunt and home defense, the 686 would get the nod. If it were to be just to carry as a back up, I would buy the S&W Air Lite Scandium in 3 1/2 inch barrel with adjustable sites the Mt Gun I think is what they call it. Very light and easy to carry, you just would not want to shoot 50 rounds out of it at one sitting.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I like a double action if I need to put multiple shots down range quickly, if we're talking revolvers. I have a 686 with 4 inch barrel and recently picked up a 586 with a 6 inch. I like the 4 inch barrel for carry in a crossdraw. The 6 inch is a liitle easier to shoot accruratly.

Ricky
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

How much does weight matter in you situation? For hunting carry, I'd suggest a 4 or 6" stainless GP100. A really solid gun, accurate, great recoil absorbing grips. Was designed to shoot heavy loads indefinitely. I also like a Blackhawk, but if it's a defensive backup gun, I'd want D/A for followups. Too much gun for concealed though, IMHO.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have a S&W model 66 (similar to the 686 but with only a partial
underlug as opposed to the full underlug) that I shot bullseye
with for years (using 38 special ammo). Add some Pachmyr (or similar) rubber grips to the thing and you have a dandy revolver. One season I outshot all but 4 of the centerfire competitors in the statewide postal
match. It's that good - even with a 4" barrel. The factory
trigger on mine is quite satisfactory. 2" to 3" groups at 25
yards using factory full-house magnum ammo are no problem
at all - should be enough to discourage a pesky catamount.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

RKrodle wrote:I like a double action if I need to put multiple shots down range quickly, if we're talking revolvers. I have a 686 with 4 inch barrel and recently picked up a 586 with a 6 inch. I like the 4 inch barrel for carry in a crossdraw. The 6 inch is a liitle easier to shoot accruratly.

Ricky
+1 for the 586... I have several in 6" and 8" variations, and I will be picking up a 4" as soon as one presents itself to me.

I consider the 6" to be the most versatile. The 4" isn't really that effective as a hunting pistol, and the 8" isn't really all that effective as a self-defense pistol if that function requires any concealment whatsoever. The 6" can play in both spaces.

All this could be said for the 686 as well, so I would look at either depending on what carbine you want to complement. If your rig is stainless go with the 686... if it is traditional blue & walnut go with the 586.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

imho :lol: the ruger SP101 is pretty hard to beat for packing.I bought a pancake holster and when hunting it sure rides nice on the hip when carring my hunting gear/rifle.

DAV life member.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

If I had to pull pistols on a rushing cougar I think I'd want Matt Dillon AND Shane with me...

If I was a California jogger (the preferred entree of the discriminating cougar) I would run with several old S l o w pets...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'd suggest a Ruger GP100. They come in Blued or Stainless 4" or 6" barrels.
They are as far beyond the S&Ws in durability as you can get. Modern in design and execution.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I like the 4 inch, easier to carry and get into action, great for self protection. Colt Pythons are spendy, but a joy to shoot; like pulling your finger through a cube of soft butter. Shoot a Python and you'll get one.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

S&W 686 or an old Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Both work well as a club if you run out of bullets. :D
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

I would vote for the Ruger Blackhawk or SP101. :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Your basic parameters lead to an answer of:

Ford, Blond, Dodge, Readhead, Chevy, Brunette. :wink:

Assuming you are even partially serious about Bathroom Carry (and I am) I agree that the SP101 is the ticket.

If not, the GP100 gives you the an extra round and 1000% durability.

Otherwise, the answer is still

Ford, Blond, Dodge, Readhead, Chevy, Brunette. :wink:

Edit: YAAY! SteveB on his new Harley! Vroom Vroom!
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Teek
Levergunner

Post by Teek »

I like a 4" barreled double action stainless revolver with fixed sights, such as a S&W 65. Roll my own ammo, so I can tune the ammo to the projected situation. Hogue rubber grips.

The 4" barrel gives me enough sight radius to be accurate at 35 or so yards or less, stainless is more weather and finish resistant, fixed sights are more accurate than I am and don't get broken or knocked out of alignment as easy as adjustable, and I like the "point and shoot" interface of the DA trigger.

Guns are tools, and different tools are required for different projects. So...different guns are nice to have for different uses. The "household claw hammer" of handguns would be a four inch, fixed sight, stainless DA revolver in .357.

Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel is a great little accurate and durable gun very suitable for woods carry if it were legal in your area....but it's not.

So, I guess the bottom line is get a DOUBLE ACTION revolver with a 4 or 6" barrel....in stainless, unless you prefer blued...with fixed sights, unless you prefer adjustable...in a S&W, unless you prefer Ruger, or Taurus, or... :D

Oh, and Steve...here's mine!

Teek
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

+1 S&W 686
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've got a 4" Python and a 4-5/8" Blackhawk.

Both are excellent sidearms, easy to handle and very accurate.

The 4" Python is a great revolver, but I think I would have liked a 6" Python for non-carry type field work better. I wouldn't change the Blackhawk.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Another vote for the Ruger SP101. Being stainless, there isn't much worry about rust and corrosion. It is a heavy gun, but a myriad of holsters are available for it. The factory grips are good at absorbing recoil. I have a set of Hogue imitation 'Bill Jordan' combat grips on mine. Being made of wood, and wider than the factory grips, I believe they are better suited to accurate fire, and recoil suppresion. I think you can order this gun with a four inch barrel.

I usually shoot 158gr SWC over a fair charge of Trail Boss for about 850 fps, that load has no recoil to me. The super hot factory +P's with 125 JHP are tolerable, but snappy in this gun.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I love my single actions, I carry a 4 5/8 44mag Ruger SBH in the field often, though about the worst I have to worry about here is the possibility of a mean dog or maybe a rabid skunk. But givin your situation, I would choose a 4 or 6 inch double action revolver. The 6" a bit easier to shoot accuratly, the 4" a bit quicker. Any of the major brands will do and you have aready gotten some really good suggestions. I love my 4" Model 19 Smith and I have always had a soft spot for the older Ruger Security Six series. These can be had in the used gun market. If I were buying a new gun today, the Ruger GP-100 in stainless would be what I would look for. The Smith is alright, though I really really don't like that built in lock!!
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

If you want a gun that will do everything, why not try a 686 with a 3" barrel? It'd be compact enough to carry 24/7, stout enough to reload hot ammo for, and stainless steel for shower time! :D Plus, it holds 7 rounds.

I had a 2 1/2" one years ago, I liked it, I don't think I appreciated it then as I would now. That 3" gun though, I'm going to have to look for when I get home!
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

And yet another vote for the Ruger SP101,it is the easiest carrying revolver I have ever used.The barrel is only 3 1/16 but long enough to get decent velocities out of the 357. Doug
a armed man is his own master
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Lots of great suggestions here.... The Colt Python IMHO is the best of the lot. It is a great gun and in a 4'' platform, great to carry. Let me just say they are worth every dime, BUT don't know if you want to drop that much cash on a Python when the others will do the same job, just won't be as "nice". I'm not sure on the prices but a 4'' Python shooter would probably start at $500 - $600 and go up from there. I just saw a blued 4'' Python the other day in my favorite gun shop, and they wanted $799 and it was gone in a day.

A 4'' stainless 686 is also a great gun. So is the GP-100.

My vote, however, is a stainless 4-5/8'' New Model Blackhawk. I'm partial to Ruger single actions.

Rob
NRA
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a S&W Model 65 3 inch round butt .357 that I would think would sure do the job.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I'd vote for just about any double action revolver..but I'd look close at either a taurus or ruger...both are solid and cost is much lower then a S&W..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I see that 4" is the minimum for hunting in your area, so that leaves out the excellent SP101, unless a custom barrel is fitted. (Now, THAT would be sweet!) The classic S&W Combat Magnum, in the stainless M66 or blued M19, is great for carrying, and when well-holstered on a good belt, is almost weightless. The Ruger DA Sixes would be a good option, being just a bit sturdier than the Combat Magnum in handling lots of hot .357 ammo, yet lighter than the S&W L-frames and Ruger GP100. I was stupid enough to sell off my M66 and M19s in the 1990's, but am always on the lookout for a good M19 when I have a few extra dollars in my pocket. As consolation, I do have a 4" Ruger Speed Six and a couple of Security Sixes. Having said all of that, my favorite sixgun in the whole world is a 4" GP100 with adjustable sights, the perfect balance of packability and shootability. (Are those real words? Real 'nuff, I guess.) An S&W L-frame would be the S&W equivalent of the GP100. Python? Well, I sold off my stainless early 1990's 4" Python; I shot my GP100 better.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I like both Single and double actions, but for your requirements I would be packing a 4 5/8 Ruger Blackhawk.
If you want an all around .357 double action find yourself a clean Dan Wesson 4" and then look for a 6 or 8" barrel for it or, vice a versa. For accuracy and versatility the Dan Wessons are hard to beat!

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I like S&W's. They are what I carried, trained with and lived with. THE VERY FIRST .357 was what we now know as the M27 S&W. I had a 5" for duty carry and while it was heavy, it was as accurate a handgun as you'd ever want for duty carry. Water over the dam and guns through the hand I don't have that one any more but I do have a 4" M28 that's so close it does just fine. The heavy weight of the "N" frame Smiths just soaks up recoil like nobody's business and you could never wear one out.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

sobenk,
You like buying new guns, right?
I would definitely suggest a Ruger GP in 4 or 6 inch barrel.
But if you dont mind Smith and Wesson's lock and want something very cool and a little different check out this, S&W 686+ 7 shot, unfluted cylinder, 5 inch barrel. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/45997
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

They are as far beyond the S&Ws in durability as you can get. Modern in design and execution.
:roll:
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I would be looking at fine used guns. I would look at a 4" s&w model 19, old colt trooper or python. I had to pack them over 35 years, and light is better. There is a lot of them out there and most are good, you really are nitpicking any small differences. I have a extendsive collection, personaly, a 4" s&w model 24-3 in .44 special is my favorite.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I agree with Tycer. the 4" model 19 is my favorite .357.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Teek wrote:
Oh, and Steve...here's mine!

Teek
SWEET! 8) Are you a member of the XL Sportster forum by any chance? I've had my sporty since Nov and my only regret is not getting one sooner.
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

All good choices.
Best thing is always get to a well stocked shop and handle as many as you can.
My choices would be, the SP101 for concealed carry, and the GP100 for walk about.
YMMV
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I owned a Colt Trooper with 6" bbl and it was one of the best .357 pistols I ever owned. Very good trigger pull and quite accurate. I bought it new in the early 1980's and probably put 10,000 rounds through it because at the time, a friend of mine had access to a commercial progressive loader that would make a bunch of rounds in a hurry - so we shot a lot. It was still tight when I sold it to a guy who wanted a sidearm when he was deer hunting.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I had a 686 on loan from my dad for a few years that I really loved. One nice handeling gun with the houge(sp) grips. My wife liked to shoot it as well even with heavy loads she shot it like it was going out of fasion. If I had the funds to run out and get a carry gun that would be the one. My dad shot a pig with it at 15yards that was one tasty sow.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I gave my son a S&W 581 4 inch that I had since the 80ies, they are like the 586 but with fixed sights which make them great for carry with no snagging. I lucked out with mine, it is a tack driver, lucky the fixed sights are true. If you can find one it would be a good choice.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kasTX wrote:
:roll:
:D :lol: :wink: I'll tell you what, I got two worn out S&Ws that would not be worn out had they been Rugers. You can roll eyes at me all you want, but I been there and done that when it comes to Smiths.
And my next double action revolvers will be Rugers.

End of story, goodbye, the end! Any questions?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I'll tell you what, I got two worn out S&Ws that would not be worn out had they been Rugers. You can roll eyes at me all you want, but I been there and done that when it comes to Smiths.
And my next double action revolvers will be Rugers.
I like my Smiths, but there's no doubt in my mind my Rugers are tougher.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - .357 Revolver Suggestions

Post by J Miller »

sobenk wrote:I've been starting to think about getting a .357 revolver to carry while hunting, around the house, and to take to the bathroom. etc. Seriously, the main purpose would be to have it as protection while hunting. Or, when not hunting, maybe I could just take a handy revolver instead of humping a 7 pound rifle around.

I've decided on .357 because I already reload for it and have two rifles in that caliber. I've never felt like getting into the 40's for a caliber, even though I do like it as an age thing.

My main need would be to pull it when being rushed by a cougar. But it has to be satisfying to practice with also.

I am intrigued by the Smith and Wesson offerings with a 6 inch barrel, but could carry as short as 4" in the field legally. Is a 6" hard to handle? Would you go with another brand? Is 44 ounces too heavy to consider?

I shot a .357 snubby and didn't like the way it stung my hand. In general I like some barrel. But if I can't aim it, or hold it, I'd have to go shorter. But it's 4" minimum in the field.

Suggestions?
sobenk,

I do have one question? When you think about revolvers what comes to mind first, double actions or single actions?
In a stressful situation a person will act as they train. I've shot both so long that my mind can make the switch. But can you?
If you are used to double action revolvers and you need one for defense, don't go to a single action. The switch can be problematic and possibly dangerous.
If you are a single action fanatic you probably should stick with that.

Personally I stand by my earlier suggestion to get a GP 100 in 4". This is just about the best general purpose revolver I can think of.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tycer wrote:4" Model 19 Smith is my favorite gun.

You may hear the 19 won't take full magnum loads, but chances are great you'll never shoot enough thousands of full magnum loads to loosen one at all.

Never forget to always clean your guns when switching from .38 to .357 or from lead to jacketed. Very important.
+1. I love my Dad's old service revolver, a S&W Model 19 with a 4-inch tube. Whenever I have had to qualify at the range for anything, I always use it. :D
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

I'll tell you what, I got two worn out S&Ws that would not be worn out had they been Rugers.
They are as far beyond the S&Ws in durability as you can get.
...but I been there and done that when it comes to Smiths.
You have made a very powerful, very damning statement about Smith and Wesson products. I think that warrants a full explanation, including details about how you came to your conclusion. So please, enlighten us.

I now yield the floor to the gentleman with the comprehensive collection of well-researched and statistically relevant firearms durability information...
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

my 357 mags

my target gun.the most accurate revolver I own period.

smith 681.shoots "almost" as good as the python.

ruger security six shoots almost as good as the 681 :shock:

ruger SP101 best belly gun out there :D

now the python only get 148 gr wc's .it is a target gun and that what I use it for.
the 681 I have a fav load for it 158 gr swc gc 1000 fps.very accurate.
the rugers I save for full speed ahead loads even in the snubby.again very accurate.

on the smiths and wearing out.well maybe a K frame but I have never seen it.the L frames to shoot one out you would have to go broke buying ammo to do so.if anyone here has a shot out smith K or L frame that wasn't repairable please post some pics as I would like to see it as I am sure others would also.
oh yea as far as sporty pics here is mine :lol: and I am a member over at the XL forum.

rant off.
pete
DAV life member.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You have made a very powerful, very damning statement about Smith and Wesson products. I think that warrants a full explanation, including details about how you came to your conclusion. So please, enlighten us.
>I haven't even come close to making a damning statement about S&W products. You should see me when I really get riled up.
>Lets see, prior to my move to IL I used to shoot a lot. No where near what others did, but much more than most. In the years I've had my Mdl 28 I've put nearly 8K rounds of MAGNUM ammo though it. In those 8K rounds it's required a retime at least every 3K rounds. I shoot DOUBLE ACTION 99% of the time and that is hell on the big cylinders of N fame Smiths.
My Mdl 25-5 required it's first tightening at 4K rounds due to end shake problems. By the time it reached 5K it was so loose you could watch the yoke move in and out as the cylinder rotated into battery. I had to have all the central locking parts replaced they were so worn.
By 8K rounds it was misfiring from the excessive end shake that had developed. It now has .004" of shims between the yoke tube and the cylinder just to keep it where it will shoot.
Both of these antique design revolvers are semi retired now. They sit loaded as house defense guns but do not get shot otherwise.
No matter what kasTX or anybody else says, Smith & Wessons are an antiquated 100+ year old design with small parts that wear with heavy use. That your gun has not worn does not negate the fact that mine, and other S&W's I personally know of have.

I now yield the floor to the gentleman with the comprehensive collection of well-researched and statistically relevant firearms durability information...
>Your attempt at sarcasm is pathetic, just like your thin skinned attitude about a brand name, and desire to argue.

Pete,
No photos, they wouldn't show anything but a finish worn S&W. I stated I use to shoot a lot. Not 38s, but full house .357s and full standard .45s.
And I did not state the guns were not repairable. I said they were not as durable as the Rugers. The actions are obsolete by any modern design. As is the Colt Python, and many others. It does not lend itself to upgrades very well.
Rugers are modern. They are built with strong modular parts that just do not wear out like the S&Ws do.

If you like S&Ws fine. I like them, they are very pleasing to look at and shoot. ( At least the pre-mim / lock ones are. ) I have used and owned S&W revolvers for over 30 years. I know my experiences with them. No amount of nay saying or arguing with me will change what has happened in my life. Nor will it cause me to be silent about S&Ws. They will not stand up to continual use of full power ammo fired mostly double action. Personally I don't care weather people believe me or not. I've proven it to myself, and I will continue to recommend others purchase Ruger double action revolvers.

Since I'm busy throwing gas on the fire, consider this: the actions on all S&W revolvers are based on designs from the black powder era. Like I said, over a 100 years old.
The design of every Ruger CENTER FIRE DOUBLE ACTION REVOLVER is built to handle MODERN MAGNUM PRESSURES. Not one D.A. Ruger revolver was designed previous to the magnum era. That in and of itself should back up what I'm saying.

But it won't. At least not to those who won't listen.

Good Day.

Joe
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I like Rugers and I like Smiths. Hell, I carry a Smith every single day.

But no doubt in my mind, Ruger makes a stronger, more durable product. It's pretty obvious.

Rob
NRA
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I bought rugers just because I hate them :P .
DAV life member.
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

J Miller wrote: >I haven't even come close ...
...t in and of itself should back up what I'm saying.

But it won't. At least not to those who won't listen.

Good Day.

Joe

Hmmm. That post seemed a little odd. The logic is a bit hard to follow, some of the statements are suspect, and you seem to have taken a personal disliking to me. I'll have to have some other people look at it to be sure.
Last edited by kasTX on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

Well if were taking about accuracy and durability..then I'd grab my dan wesso .357..I can install either my 2in,4in,6in,8in barrel..in three different barrel shroud types...the only draw back is it's not idiot proof. you'll need to do some adjusting to get a dan wesson to be accurate..all of which you can do yourself with the tools that the gun comes with...as far as strength goes A dan wesson will take ruger super redhawk pressures and laugh it off....Don't get me wrong I like S&W,Ruger,taurus,colt..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

And I thought that J Miller made some very valid points in his post. You can't deny that the S&W design is old. Nor that the Ruger is of more modern design. He states that in his experience, under the conditions he lays out that he has problems with his Smith's.

I currently own 4 S&W revolvers, I won't trade them for the world. Well except for the 586 which I'd trade for a 686. I'm not a big fan of nickel.

My model 27 6" is a great shooting piece, the N frame sucks up a lot of the recoil even with full blown magnum loads. The trigger is crisp and accuracy is dead on.

As to the OPs question I'd say try several out in a store but I'd buy a .357 in whatever brand suits you best.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.