.45 BP bullets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

.45 BP bullets?

Post by JReed »

I got a question for you all. I am looking for someone that sells 250-255grn bullets in .452-.454 that are suitable for BP. I dont cast and the ones I have found on line are all hard cast. I really would like to play with my .45colts and BP esspecialy since I have Goex and Pyro on hand for my ML's and CB revolvers. Any help would be great thanks.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeremy,

There is a bullet called Big Lube Bullet that someone casts. I can't find my link and when I googled it all I got was the equipment to cast your own.
This bullet is a RNFP that has an extra large lube grove just for black powder.

Hopefully someone with the link will post it for us.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Here is the link to a guy who sells ready cast Big Lubes
http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/
Fast efficient service was what I got when I ordered some 38-40s recently.
Perry Owens
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Try this guy out. I had him cast some rifle bullets from 20:1 alloy back before I set up to cast my own. I called him to discuss the order. He was very easy to work with.

http://www.mtbaldybullets.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So Jeremy, you don't clean weapons enough in the Marines, and you looking to get in some more of this fun chore? :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thanks that is just what I was looking for.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

Here's a thread I did on my ROA using the 255 SWC. Don't know it it will help, but it might be intertaining :)

http://proguns.proboards92.com/index.cg ... 1196652729

Papa
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

G'day Jeremy,

I cast my own BigLube PRS 45-250 RNFP(WW+2%tin) and load 'em over 32gr vol Wano FFFg. Here's a pic of my reloads and 50yd zeroing target, Marlin CBLtd shot off a bench with sandbags as a rest... 25 shots started low and ended in the black. Talking with onlookers didn't help the concentration at times. :lol:

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/ ... 006jpg.jpg

Mucus
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you dab a bit of lube in the bottom of remington bulk bullets they work pretty well with bp.
Might try www.montanabulletworks.com, I'm pretty sure they have some that'll serve the purpose.
www.cheycast.com sells some pretty good bp alloyed and lubed bullets.
If you could come up with some of the RCBS 255Kt unlubed, and do your own pan lubing those work real well in the 45 colt with bp.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I believe I saw some BHN 12 bullets with SPG lube for BP shooting on the MtBaldy website myself. jd45
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Perry,
Thanks for that link. I made SURE to bookmark it this time.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thanks for the links I bookmaarked them so I can shop after the holidays.
Ysabel Kid
Levergunner 3.0

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Jeremy, you don't clean weapons enough in the Marines, and you looking to get in some more of this fun chore?
Well I got bit by the BP bug back in Feb when I picked up my TC ML and it has been all down hill since. Actualy I have found that cleaning black is easier and faster then smokeless. Pluss all that smoke and noise is just fun :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

Joe... here's the Big Lube mould site...

http://www.biglube.com/

Mucus
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...JReed:

...For soft cast bullets/20:1 alloy/flat based/soft lube, you might look at this link from SHOOT! magazine. http://www.cowboybullets.com/

...Edit to say; Products link is at bottom of page of above link. :oops:

...old goat
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

old goat wrote:...JReed:

...For soft cast bullets/20:1 alloy/flat based/soft lube, you might look at this link from SHOOT! magazine. http://www.cowboybullets.com/

...Edit to say; Products link is at bottom of page of above link. :oops:

...old goat
I just got started reloading BP substitutes in my .45 Colt USFA Rodeo, and these bullets do not carry enough lube. Cylinder started binding at 8 shots with Pyrodex Pistol, and I had to use a bore brush to loosen up the fouling in the barrel. Just tried some American Pioneer Powder over the weekend and the gun worked for all 20 cartridges, but was getting sticky after 10-15 shots. On the jug of APP it says no need to lube bullets. :roll:

Plan on purchasing some of the Big Lube bullets before I do anymore work with BP or it's substitutes.

I've found that the substitutes are easier to clean than smokeless. Couple patches soaked in a mix of water and vinegar Windex down the bore and cylinders, and they're clean.

~Michael
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mad mucus wrote:Joe... here's the Big Lube mould site...

http://www.biglube.com/

Mucus
Thanks, that's the one I got when I googled it. No way to purchase pre-made bullets that I could find.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a thought you guys might chew on. Pull down an original black powder revolver cartridge, say a .45 Colt and you'll find a bullet with two (2) small lube groves.
The old Ideal/Lyman 454190 bullet has deeper lube groves than the originals.

Most of the originals I've pulled down have had a dried out waxy type lube in them. I'm sure it's organic, probably made from animal fat and bees wax, or something similar.

Yet this small amount of lube worked with the black powder of the day.

Now ask yourself why we need bullets that carry a half a pound of lube each?

We don't "IF" we use the right lube and a good quality powder. From my limited experiences Pyrodex is the filthiest stuff ever purveyed as gun powder. I'll never purchase any more of it.
I've had much better results using real black powder even when I messed up and used the wrong lube on my bullets.

Just something to think on.

Joe
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...J Miller:

...Careful Joe, that's not what many want to hear!

...When Elmer Keith designed his Ideal/Lyman bullet #454424, he made the lube groove to hold enough lube to solve any problems with having enough lube for black powder. With this bullet, Keith never saw any need for more lube for either black or smokeless powder. Strange it's no longer enough.

...old goat
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

old goat wrote:...J Miller:

...Careful Joe, that's not what many want to hear!

...When Elmer Keith designed his Ideal/Lyman bullet #454424, he made the lube groove to hold enough lube to solve any problems with having enough lube for black powder. With this bullet, Keith never saw any need for more lube for either black or smokeless powder. Strange it's no longer enough.

...old goat
Yep. old goat I'm quite aware of what you're saying. And a great fan of Elmer Keiths bullets. I think I'd quit shooting if I couldn't get any. Well, I'd just have to cast my own then.
But what Keith designed was a bullet that would do a multitude of tasks. And it does. But ... that doesn't mean we NEED a bullet like the Big Lube bullet.
If the right type of lube is used for the powder, then we don't need as much.
The kicker is that most commercial lubes of today are not suitable for black power. And some of those lubes react really bad with Pyrodex. On that I am positive.

Joe
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I can see the need for a Big Lube bullet in a rifle or carbine.. dont see any need for it in a revolver...I run a specially sized Saeco .452 180SW with ALOX all day long thru a Rem replica 44..Cylinder binding has to do with how well the pin is protected from fouling..not the lube on the bullet..
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...J Miller:
...Read the last sentence please. (I was being sarcastic) :wink:

...Ben_Rumson:
...You may be right about rifles/carbines. I was thinking of revolvers!
...Some lubes may help keep BP powder fouling soft, but how the revolver is made and how close the tolerances, have much to do with how quickly they bind. :wink:

...old goat
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

J Miller wrote:
We don't "IF" we use the right lube and a good quality powder. From my limited experiences Pyrodex is the filthiest stuff ever purveyed as gun powder. I'll never purchase any more of it.
I've had much better results using real black powder even when I messed up and used the wrong lube on my bullets.

Just something to think on.

Joe
Well, I tried some 3F Goex with bullets from cowboybullets.com today, and the Rodeo made it through all 15 cartridges but was getting pretty sticky. Either the bullets don't carry enough lube, the lube they carry isn't appropriate for BP (even though they say it is), or the gun is too tight. I'm leaning toward the first two.

Their bullet is the same design as this one from Oregon Trail.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

BTW, the bullets from cowboybullets.com seem very well made, and shot very well over 7.8 grains of Unique.

~Michael
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

How it's protected = How the revolver is made..Note the collar on the Rogers & Spencer's cylyinder face.. It fits UNDER the cylinder/barrel gap..fouling is deflected away from the axel pin, plus fouling has ahrd time making the turn to get past the collar and onto the axel pin, which I lube up with 1000 plus lube.. I modded the Rem to same config..Pin slides out with just a tap with a brass hammer after a day of shooting.. Note the cross pin I put on the Rem ram to give me uniform compression..The R&S uses the leverage of the ram to withdraw the axel pin..They both shoot all day with no probs..The Rem is the most accurate.. I sure wish I could afford a Fienworkbau ver. of the R&S
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Joe I'm in agreement with you on that. The remington bulk bullet with a dab of bp cartridge lube dabbed in the hollow bottom , 37 grs goex 3f and a .030 card wad , and I ran 35 of them thru the New Vaguero , and then just squirted abit of water around the forcing cone and end of the cylinder, and kept on running.
The Keith designs do carry plenty of lube for revolver or rifle/carbine shooting with black powder.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Jeremy,
I was going to recomend Black Jack Hill
http://www.blackjackhill.com/
but they are relocating and are not available until next summer.
let us know if you find something that works well for you.