SRC from Steve's Gunz

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

SRC from Steve's Gunz

Post by 1886 »

I have got an itch for a .357 SRC. I am not going to scratch this itch right away but when I do I was thinking I would order from Steve. I would welcome any and all feedback as to which make and model. I am confident Steve does first class work so this concerns me little but the make and model is where I will direct the majority of my thought. I am picky about fit, finish, accuracy, etc. I am partial to 92s( miniature 86s). Thanks. 1886.
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

I have a Rossi stainless SRC in .45 colt and I like it, the fit and finish is ok, a great field gun. I could see the use of a .357 though and might have one of them soon too. If I wanted a better F&F I would be looking for a Browning B92 in 44mag but I think the cost/quality ratio is tops with the Rossi's.

Just my 2 cents...
Molon Labe
stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi SRC

Post by stormspotter »

Here is my Browning B92 in 357

and here is my Intearms (Rossi) in 357.

The Browning has better wood, fit & finish and overall smoother action from the factory, but the Rossi isn't all that bad either. I'm liking the Rossi's 16" barrel better all the time.
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

For a GP, do everything in any weather .357 I had Steve clean up a Rossi Stainless 92.

Really, given your parameters there isn't much of an option there except Stainless, Blue or Case Colored.

My suggestion is to go with a 20" SS Rossi (Emf Hartford/Puma) and have it bead blasted to reduce the glare.

Add a Williams FP rear and a Skinner .375x.050 Front and you will be golden out to 100yds.

Last edited by Old Ironsights on Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

Post by JollyWhiteGiant »

Doesn't the factory rear sight get in the way of your Williams? Bug the heck out of me with tang sights.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JollyWhiteGiant wrote:Doesn't the factory rear sight get in the way of your Williams? Bug the heck out of me with tang sights.
No. It either natively folds down or Steve swapped out the rear sight for one that folds down.

In either case, it is folded out of the way unless I need to pull the Merit Peep off the FP and look through the semi-buckhorn.

Works quite well.

I've adjusted the Buckhorn to POA with my "cat-sneeze" loads and keep the FP set for 75yds POA=POI.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

OOOH, I like the bead blast finish on that rifle, OI. Gonna have to do that...
Molon Labe
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The Lewis wrote:OOOH, I like the bead blast finish on that rifle, OI. Gonna have to do that...
It is nice, isn't it.

I "sell" that feature so much I'm thinking about charging a comission/"finders fee" for my advertising services... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Yeah. Those pics keep my checkbook in hiding. I've had plans twice to finally order one from Steve when stuff happened and it got put on the back burner.

I don't always go for stainless, but the stainless, beadblasted M92/357 just makes too much sense not to have one. Nice pics!...
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

If looking for something new from Steve, have him rustle you up a new EMF (vs the Puma) -- better rear sight (real buckhorn type) -- unless Puma's cleaned up their act on that one. The EMF 20" carbines also come (or can be had more regularly) with the saddle ring, if you like that - which I do. Some don't. To each their own. Oddly the Browning 1886 SRC that's so revered has the saddle ring and no one says anything negative about it. The 92 clones come along (some of them) with it and you get opinions all over the place from good to bad, despite the fact that it too was (original carbines) made by Winchester to the tune of about 90%-95% with the ring. Maybe it's because the 92 is so much handier, CAS shooters are actually using theirs and some figure the feature's in the way. I like the "authenticity" of it - more cowboy.
I say if you don't like the clacking (who does, but it's a neutral to me; I don't carry it in such a way that it does that a lot anyway) or the "O" receiver wear, tie a little leather/latigo strip around it. It's how EMF ships them now to perform the same function while in transit. Nevertheless, the Browning 92 others mentioned - which I have in both .357 and .44 - didn't come with the ring (other than the fancy commemorative model). This was before CAS really took off (and therefore more persnikety action shooters out there weighing negatively in on the ring--for their purposes) ---and again the 86 and original Win 86 and 92 SRCs had it, so it's its absence is a puzzlement. Didn't mean to get distracted there on a very divided issue regarding the ring. Anyway, you can have it both/either way - so not really an issue.
Excellent though they may be, Browning .357s are now rare and command a $100-250 premium over the .44s for that reason.
Back to the Rossi: then have Steve rid you of the dastardly and worthless "safety". He'll do a good deal out the door combined with his action job.