30-30 Round ball load- any suggestions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

30-30 Round ball load- any suggestions?

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,
The winter is upon us and the mind inside the house is running wild already. I'm looking for a round ball "gallery" load for the 30-30 to shoot in the basement. Any suggestions? I tried my small game load of 5.4 grains of Unique under a .311 round ball....shall we say too loud, (wifey wasn't happy). Anyhow thanks ahead of time, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30-30 Round ball load- any suggestions?

Post by Rusty »

Drill out the flash hole first and then try just a magnum primer. Seat the top of the ball flush with the case mouth and add a drop of Lee Liquid Alox on top.

When I first tried it I didn't use the Alox. Three of them went OK but the fourth one stuck in the barrel.

Be warned though, if you drill out the flash holes set the cases aside and make sure you never use them for regular loads again.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I think there is a recipe or two on this 336 thread on thehighroad.org:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... hlight=336

too late for me to search it.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Try Glueblits. You take a bullet mold and a hot glue gun, squirt hot glue into the mold, cut off the sprue with a razor blade, then load it, using only a primer for propellant. Works pretty good. Be sure to shoot them into a heavy blanket or two, hanging in front of a backstop.

DO NOT play around with these! I'd "tested" these with my .45 Colt, and was considering having my wife shoot me with one while I was wearing a coat, just for fun. Well, before I got that far, a friend came over, and I was telling him about them. To demonstrate, I pointed my gun into the kitchen, and let one go. No biggie. .....a couple days later, my wife showed me a full caliber hole through a cabinet door! :o Looked like it was drilled! Nice, clean hole, through 1/4 plywood.

I know, I know, it was stupid. Blah, blah, flame on. Learn it this way, instead of doing it yourself.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Travis I did about the same thing many years ago... about 1977 I think. Speer made some cases that were plastic and fired a hard plastic bullet by way of a primer. When I got them home the first thing I wanted to see was how loud they would be so I put one in my .357 and pointed it in the general direction of the garage door, not aiming at any place in particular. WHAM daylight appeared. Uh oh.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I made some for my 308 Win. with 8 grains of IMR 4064. No louder than a .22 short.
Spent an hour chasing the squerrils around the oak trees. They will bounce however. :shock:

I had a couple RB .30-30 rounds sitting on my shelf and thought they were the same load so Sat. morning I stuck the 336 out the back door and Boom!! Must have been one of those Unique loads :oops:
Dogs start barking, the kids want to know if everything's ok... At least the Boss Lady wasn't home.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Bullseye - 22lr casing full - under a 0 buckshot is about as quiet as a 22 and 3" accurate at 50 yards. Its a bit quieter in my 24" barreled cowboy.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

We should be able to procure from our wives a binding non disclosure agreement to shut up about all the dumb stuff we've done with our guns. This would include everything from catching us practicing a fast draw in our underwear and gunbelt to our self defense shooting of inanimate objects. ("Those boxes were coming right for me!!!")
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've used 3 grs Unique for a small game and grouse load. I coat the balls with liquid alox first, and i use a dacron fluff to keep the powder by the primer. About as much noise as a 22 standard vel (not a high vel), and works good on bunnies and grouse. 4.5 grs was louder than I wanted. I'm going to try 3 grs red dot soon.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I've been doing a lot of research on Trail Boss for reduced loads. You might investigate that for a round ball load. Sounds like as "idiot proof" as gunpowder can get.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

It's pretty good for most things your average (handgun) shooter will need.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer