CMH Bravery

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

CMH Bravery

Post by Rusty »

I heard about this solider today on the radio. They said he will be at the inauguration services next week as will many who have been awarded the CMH. I have heard many stories of brave men, but never any more so than this.
I had to look it up when I got home.

RUBIN, TIBOR

Rank and Organization: Coproral, U.S. Army, Company I, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. Place and date: Republic of Korea, 23 July 1950-20 April 1953.
Corporal Tibor Rubin distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism during the period from July 23, 1950, to April 20, 1953, while serving as a rifleman with Company I, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division in the Republic of Korea. While his unit was retreating to the Pusan Perimeter, Corporal Rubin was assigned to stay behind to keep open the vital Taegu-Pusan Road link used by his withdrawing unit. During the ensuing battle, overwhelming numbers of North Korean troops assaulted a hill defended solely by Corporal Rubin. He inflicted a staggering number of casualties on the attacking force during his personal 24-hour battle, single-handedly slowing the enemy advance and allowing the 8th Cavalry Regiment to complete its withdrawal successfully. Following the breakout from the Pusan Perimeter, the 8th Cavalry Regiment proceeded northward and advanced into North Korea. During the advance, he helped capture several hundred North Korean soldiers. On October 30, 1950, Chinese forces attacked his unit at Unsan, North Korea, during a massive nighttime assault. That night and throughout the next day, he manned a .30 caliber machine gun at the south end of the unit's line after three previous gunners became casualties. He continued to man his machine gun until his ammunition was exhausted. His determined stand slowed the pace of the enemy advance in his sector, permitting the remnants of his unit to retreat southward. As the battle raged, Corporal Rubin was severely wounded and captured by the Chinese. Choosing to remain in the prison camp despite offers from the Chinese to return him to his native Hungary, Corporal Rubin disregarded his own personal safety and immediately began sneaking out of the camp at night in search of food for his comrades. Breaking into enemy food storehouses and gardens, he risked certain torture or death if caught. Corporal Rubin provided not only food to the starving Soldiers, but also desperately needed medical care and moral support for the sick and wounded of the POW camp. His brave, selfless efforts were directly attributed to saving the lives of as many as forty of his fellow prisoners. Corporal Rubin's gallant actions in close contact with the enemy and unyielding courage and bravery while a prisoner of war are in the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Army.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Re: CMH Bravery

Post by Ysabel Kid »

But why would such a brave man serve as a publicity tool for such a fool? :shock:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Not sure... maybe he respects the office.

JJ_Miller
Shootist

Post by JJ_Miller »

Maybe Pres. Bush will present the CMH prior to the swearing in. I would be quite upset to get mine from Hussain. But I am still proud that the men are getting them.................JJ
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Remember, Even the Commander in Chief is supposed to salute the CMH. I'd love to see Obama try to salute it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I'd refuse the CMH before I'd stand with osama-oops I mean obama. :evil:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Salute the rank, not the man.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Read carefully... he already got the award. In Korea.

The part that really got me was when he broke out of the POW camp to get food and then broke back in.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

amazing stories from ordinary men. Certainly made up of the "best stuff". Blessings to him and to all who serve.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

piller wrote:Remember, Even the Commander in Chief is supposed to salute the CMH. I'd love to see Obama try to salute it.
Excuse me? Someone who never served should NEVER salute. It used to royally pee me off to see Clintoon returning salutes, when 41 (who could have, properly) did not.