Ultramax .30-30win. Cowboy ammunition question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Ultramax .30-30win. Cowboy ammunition question

Post by junkwrencher »

It is advertized 1170fps, 165gr. lead bullet for cowboy action.Is anyone here using this load or have experience with it? In your opinion,is this enough for deer at 75 yards or less?I assume the muzzle blast, if any would be mild.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Ultramax .30-30win. Cowboy ammunition question

Post by Griff »

No. But, .357, 158gr. slugs are ok, I have to say this could do the job... with proper placement.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

Griff, thanks for responding, no you wouldn't use them for deer,have you fired any of them?Anyone using these?It is the only significantly reduced factory loading I can find.The Hudson Bay Co. used to supply their employees with a reduced loading in this caliber for less than big game.Griff the .357 158gr slugs you're talking about,standard velocity or cowboy loads?If they're off the shelf stuff they should run around 1500-1800fps from a rifle 20"-24",right?Thanks.I'm looking for factory light loads for the .30-30.Remington offers the Managed Recoil load but it's running over 2000fps.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Welcome junkwrencher.

The load you're describing is about the same energy level of a standard 158 gr. 357 Magnum out of a handgun. So yes, it could be used for short range deer hunting with perfect shot placement. I'd have to ask why you would want to use it for deer with so many better choices available. If recoil and or muzzle blast are of concern, Remington's reduced recoil loads would be far better deer killers than the Cowboy ammo.
NRA Life Member
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

At close range it should kill with authority.Some .300Whisper loads don't go this fast and kill much farther.My question remains unanswered so I guess I need to buy a box and find out.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

junkwrencher,
A few years ago I tried some .30-30 Ultramax Cowboy ammunition and it shot reasonably well with groups running about 1 1/4" @ 50 yards. One will have to adjust his sights accordingly.

I never ran them across the chronograph, but I did dissect some to see what they were loaded with. The powder charge was 12 grs. of what appears to be Accurate Arms 5744 under a 165 gr. plain based lead alloy bullet.

I have not tried them on deer, but I would suspect that they would work ok at very close range. It's doubtful that the bullet would expand but I would think that it likely might tumble since it is somewhat marginally stabilized at the lower velocity. That would increase its harvesting capabilities.
junkwrencher wrote: The Hudson Bay Co. used to supply their employees with a reduced loading in this caliber for less than big game.
Do you know what that ammunition was?

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

A man by the name of John Kort supplied my info. http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=2202
I think this should pull up some info. and thank you for your response.I am so sorry, the information is what you already know because you wrote this article! I was so excited about a response I didn't notice it was you.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

John,
Not to hijack a thread but IIRC didn't you get Hobie and a few others working on some small game loads a while back by producing a picture of one of those low power rounds?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

http://home.comcast.net/~parslowb/labels/Reloading.html
This is the link to Shooting with Hobie. It is Monday, May 8,2006, Recreated .30WCF Small Game Load.
If I had not posted what I had John might not have told me of his experience with the Ultramax loads.Thanks so much, John and Hobie.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

junkwrencher,
You are most welcome. PMC also made a .30-30 Cowboy cartridge up until a few years ago. It's velocity was in the 1,300-1,400 f.p.s. range which makes it a bit more powderful than the Ultramax. Too bad it was discontinued.

It would be great if someone would produce a factory .30-30 Mid Range load with a velocity of 1,400 - 1,500 f.p.s. Unfortunately, at this point, it is a handloading proposition only.

Rusty,
T'was I and probably a few other folks. junkwrencher, thank you for the link.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Not sure why you need the reduced recoil. My youngest (11 yr old, 4'4" 85lb) daughter shoots my 30-30, 150 grn without a hitch. Even took her first deer with it this year. Not sure if you reload, but the factory reduced recoil loads are about as light as I would go if I wanted to shoot a deer. I wouldnt drop the velocity below 1500. You may want to try some of the 125 grn FNHP w/ 32 gr of IMR4895 it should run about 2100 fps, that recoil should be manageable for just about anyone. Check out some of PACOs articles on the 30-30.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”