Will Winchester Make the Model 94 in SC?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Will Winchester Make the Model 94 in SC?

Post by dgr416 »

I have a friend who works at a gunshop.He talked to woman who works at the SC FN Winchester plant.She said they had been making lever gun parts for model 94s?I was wondering is Winchester was bringing back the model 94?I hope they do so that they can make alot better 94s than the New Haven plant did the last few years they made them.They need to make some more 94s in 25-35.The ones I has were horrible.You could pull the stocks loose the wood was so bad.I didnt even shoot them just sold them.You couldnt just stick other 94 stocks on them.I want some good Winchester like the XTR big Bores 375s I have.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is the rumor. I haven't seen a press release yet.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I hope they do remake the 94 in a quality rifle again. :wink:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I only have three 94's. if they can't/won't build one like the 38-55 I have that was built in 1896 then they can just ..................... :shock: Well I sure Hope Uberti makes the '94.then it might be made the way it was designed.Jim.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

winchester 94

Post by joachim slim »

i really dont care if they build another 94 here in the states or not. if it is made here in the U.S. it will be way overpriced. also the qaulity wont be as good. i would rather see one made by Uberti.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The problem with most American shooters is that most guys are downright cheap. They want a perfectly fitted and polished gun that shoots ragged holes at 200 yards for $400. Can't be done in a cheap way. We HAVE the craftmanship, but hey, we are capitalists at the finest, and nobody is gonna work for $5 an hour. Just look at the Sharps rifles coming out of Montana--beautiful, but they ain't cheap. Kimber, Les Bear, the fine doubles coming out the Northeast are other examples of fine craftsmanship. But..........your gonna pay for them.

Our "regular" gun companies can't compete with the Italians, Czechs and the South Americans. In my opinion the finest examples of regular production guns come out of Japan. There's real quality at an affordable price.

The best buys out there for 1894's are good ole originals. They may not look new but they shoot as well and you gonna get all your money back and then some when your done playing with it. Better than any 401K plan. There's still plenty of them out there at decent prices but don't wait too long because they will soon follow the sky high prices of 66's, 73's, 95's and especially 86's.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I hope to goodness they are made in the USA. It's where they belong. My 1992 made Winchester Big Bore is of excellent quality. No reason they can't make these rifles again, and make them they way they should be(yes..we'd probably be dealing with the same stupid anti-lawyer stuff on the 94, but it beats not having it at all).
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

We will never again see quality Winchesters at an affordable price like the pre-1900 originals were. Unionized labor has seen to that...

That is why so many of us are fascinated by the orignal Winchesters. The fit, finish and shooting quality were superb for a factory built gun....and they were turned out by the thousands. That kind of craftmanship is not possible anywhere anymore in a factory built gun.

As for foreign made copies, they leave me cold. None of the foreign made copies etc will ever turn my crank like the originals. Many folks like them, but in my opinion they are a far cry from what Winchester produced over a hundred years ago.

A Winchester Collector
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Actually, if you compare the prices of older guns be they Colts, S&Ws, Winchesters, whatever to new guns (especially the MSRP) the price of even pristine OLD guns is competitive with brand new guns and the old guns have quality AND collectibility built in. I can't hardly get turned on to a new gun, with certain exceptions.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My 94 25-35 which can be seen on GunBlast is an excellent rifle, well made and very accurate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

3855 wrote:We will never again see quality Winchesters at an affordable price like the pre-1900 originals were. Unionized labor has seen to that...

That is why so many of us are fascinated by the orignal Winchesters. The fit, finish and shooting quality were superb for a factory built gun....and they were turned out by the thousands. That kind of craftmanship is not possible anywhere anymore in a factory built gun.

As for foreign made copies, they leave me cold. None of the foreign made copies etc will ever turn my crank like the originals. Many folks like them, but in my opinion they are a far cry from what Winchester produced over a hundred years ago.
3855, That Rifle is a beauty! Care to tell us about it?
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

It's a original Model 1886 Winchester that left the factory in 1908. It's in virtually unused condition, near mint. The Factory letter provides the following information:

33 caliber
round barrel
Double set triggers
Checkered Stock
Pistol Grip
Rifle Butt (standard 33 caliber 86's were shipped with shotgun butts)
1/2 Magazine
Takedown
Tip Screw eyes (the Winchester term for sling swivel studs)
It features XX wood and "extra" finish (meaning extra care taken in fitting the wood and a high gloss oil finish was applied)

There is no mention of the Lyman Receiver sight which was often the case on highly optioned guns. The receiver sight fits nicely in concert with the blank rear barrel sight. There are no indicators a rear barrel was ever mounted on the gun.

I bought the gun some 10 years ago and despite just being a safe queen, it's a joy to own. It shows what craftmanship Winchester was capable of and illustrates how you could get virtually anything you wanted from the custom shop.

A Winchester Collector
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

C. Cash wrote:I hope to goodness they are made in the USA. It's where they belong. My 1992 made Winchester Big Bore is of excellent quality. No reason they can't make these rifles again, and make them they way they should be(yes..we'd probably be dealing with the same stupid anti-lawyer stuff on the 94, but it beats not having it at all).
Chris,

I agree with what you said. Put the safety on the tang and be done with it. Better than on the receiver IMHO. But either way I'd love to see the reintorduction of the big bores. I think a lot of folks would jump on the 3 calibers fairly quick. Look at how many 308 Marlins are going out the doors. Also, introduce the 400 Winchester. That was the original caliber or there abouts that the engineer that built the big bore was starting with. I don't recall his name but have the article at home. Maybe not a 400 then maybe something similar. Also, I've never seen a 375 that had the reciever setup for a scope, all 4 new models could be setup for scopes easily.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Old Savage wrote:My 94 25-35 which can be seen on GunBlast is an excellent rifle, well made and very accurate.
Only shortcomings with my .25-35 is the wood to metal fit around the tang, and it isn't horrible. There may be other things that pickier guys would complain about, but she looks good to me, and shoots good too. If I could pick up another one for $400 to $500, I would.

I hope Browning brings back the 94 and they pick up where USRAC left off. They were heading in the right direction bringing back the .25-35 and .38-55, putting old style long fore-end wood on the carbines, and offering octagon barreled short rifles and sporting rifles. I would like to see them lose the checkering and pistol grip on the sporting rifles though. 26" oct barrel sporting rifle, .38-55, straight stock, no checkering, blued, cresent butt plate... I'd gladly part with my money.

I'd like to see them making Model 94s in the Model 64 configuration too. One of those in .25-35 and I'd be in heaven.

~Michael
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94s

Post by dgr416 »

I had 4 model 94s in 25-35 made in the last batch.A guinshop asked if I had pulled backwards on the stock.I tried it and all 4 would pull back from the tand about 3/4" .The wood didnt not fit good.In a harder kicking gun the stock would split.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

416, do you know the serial # range of the last ones made?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Maybe we can convince the to start making them again
if we send them a few hundred email.....and are willing to place
an order for an american made 94....I would order a 38-55 legacy
octogon right now if they did....
JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

Post by JollyWhiteGiant »

Just befor they stopped making them they brought out so many great modles, got rid of that ugly side safety, (replaced with another but easier to remove/hide). Too bad they didn't let the new modles take off better.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I'm afraid...

afraid they'll make the gun I want - a T/D 480 Ruger carbine with ghost sight and XO ramp - but it will hit the shelves with a price tag over a grand...

What will be worse... Life without $400 Winchester-made 1894's or life with $400 Winchester 1894's MSRP'd at four figures?

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by mohavesam on Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

One of two things has to happen: Either a company like US Firearms has to step up and produce a TRUE TO ORIGINAL WINCHESTER(hopefully all lever models!) or Winchester has to make two versions of their lever models: One with all the stuff like tang safeties, rebounding hammers and angle eject for the dummies of the shooting world and one from their custom shop that is TRUE TO ORIGINAL PRE 64 WINCHESTER for shooters like us who appreciate and understand them. I don't mind spending more to get something worthwhile. If Winchester does not do this, their factory in South Carolina will go the same route as the one in New Haven and their managers and CEO will be sitting there with their fingers up their @$$ wondering: "Where did we go wrong?" Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!