What to do with this Win94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AR1911
Levergunner

What to do with this Win94

Post by AR1911 »

Winchester 94, 1959 model, .32 Win Spl.
I traded for this gun a few weeks ago and am trying to figure out if I did well, and what to do with it.

Functionally good, but has been shot quite a bit, lots of copper fouling in an otherwise good bore, but it's starting to come clean.

Finish is poor. Most of the bluing is gone, as is the stock finish. Looks like someone tried to help the situation with some 0000 steel wool on the stock and the metal - receiver, barrel band, and barrel. No wood removal, wood is flush or proud of the metal.

Trying to decide whether to trade it off or refinish it.

What would it be worth as-is?
Hobie

Re: What to do with this Win94

Post by Hobie »

Can't say for certain without pics. If it were mine I think I'd likely seal the wood, mount a Williams FP, clean the bore and go shooting.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AR1911
Levergunner

Post by AR1911 »

I don't have pics handy, sorry.
I'm inclined to deal with the wood for sure, but I'm going to have to do something with the metal.
I sure can't hurt it.

How much trouble is it to detail strip one of these?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Detail stripping a Win 94 is a piece of cake. But considering the condition that rifles in, it would be a merciful thing to just send it to "THE J MILLER WIN 94 ASSISTED LIVING CENTER." All those poor beat up and tired old Winchesters can live out the rest of their lives in comfort. They get all the needed attention and sometimes can be rejuvenated back to a productive life.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AR1911
Levergunner

Post by AR1911 »

Sure thing Joe.
Of course, you would reciprocate with a new tenant for the AR1911 Colt ALC :mrgreen:

I think I'll re-list this for sale or trade. If it doesn't sell quick it'll be my next project
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AR1911,

Clean it up, lube the needed areas and function check it then put it up for sale. I doubt you'll have any trouble selling it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AR1911
Levergunner

Post by AR1911 »

Here's that pic I promised.

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Picture is pretty dark, going by your discription and having the finish/patina removed with steel wool, I would think you would have to sell it as a project rifle/shooter. I have paid up to $250.00 for model 94 projects in the past. Being a 1959 the year I was born and 32 Spl, I would pay more than that. But I love working on them and the year is special to me.
Some one may pay more, some less, just because there are over 6 million of them out there.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
AR1911
Levergunner

Post by AR1911 »

Sorry about the pic, the flash on my camera will not turn on for some reason.
S/N on this gun is 2388XXX which I believe puts it at 1959 production.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you don't have a pre-64 mdl 94 Winnie, I'd keep it. Oil the stock and keep the metal dry & clean, it'll give YEARS of use and only escalate in value.

YMMV, of course! :mrgreen:

I'd say it's worth between $300-450 from your description, but more use ain't gonna lower that. Possibly a bit more as yer photo seems to show more blue than you describe. Somewhat less if there's any pitting under that copper fouling.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AR1911
Levergunner

Post by AR1911 »

Honestly, I paid more for it than I would have just because I didn't have a pre-64.
So I'll agree with you there. But I would like to spruce it up a bit. That wood actually looks pretty nice, probably better with some oil.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I'd do what Hobie suggested . .................................And keep it. !!!............Mutt
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The loss of bluing wouldn't bother me. In fact it's that worn patina that I love. My pre-war Winnie '94 has hardly a spot of bluing left on it. If your stock doesn't look like a stick used to bat rocks I'd clean it up and shoot it as is. I wouldn't even think of re-furbishing my '94. But, it's your piece, do as you will.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

kimwcook wrote:The loss of bluing wouldn't bother me. In fact it's that worn patina that I love. My pre-war Winnie '94 has hardly a spot of bluing left on it. If your stock doesn't look like a stick used to bat rocks I'd clean it up and shoot it as is. I wouldn't even think of re-furbishing my '94. But, it's your piece, do as you will.
Plus 1

Clean it up, oil the wood real good and shoot it. Get that copper out of the bore, tho...that will mess up how she shoots.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AR1911
Levergunner

Post by AR1911 »

Agreed as noted above.
Tung oil, TruOil, or something else - boiled linseed?
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

J Miller wrote:Detail stripping a Win 94 is a piece of cake. But considering the condition that rifles in, it would be a merciful thing to just send it to "THE J MILLER WIN 94 ASSISTED LIVING CENTER." All those poor beat up and tired old Winchesters can live out the rest of their lives in comfort. They get all the needed attention and sometimes can be rejuvenated back to a productive life.

Joe
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If it were mine, I'd just clean it up and use it. It looks good to me! :D

And I use boiled linseed oil on all of my rifle stocks. Just apply, let sit for 15 minutes, whipe off, repeat for as long as you like - I usually do about 5 or 6.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

She is a beauty just the way she is! If she wont shoot, I would have the barrel cleaned by professional gunsmith if I was not able to do it myself. Other than that, IMO, any attempts to restore would be in vain, old guns have to much charicter and are my favorite. Definately found yourself a great buy! Congratulations!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

That's just the way I like a shooter! :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

O.S.O.K. +1 :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AR1911
Levergunner

Post by AR1911 »

One of you expressed an interest in buying it. If he wants it worse than I, that's fine. Otherwise, I'll yield to the majority opinion and keep it.
But I can't help but tinker with it a bit :wink:

Better picture
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Is that factory D&T'd for a receiver sight? I wouldn't have expected that on a 1959-made piece, but I guess it could have been done any time.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
AR1911
Levergunner

Post by AR1911 »

It has the two screw plugs in the right place. they look as old as the rest of it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is D&T and I believe they were D&T starting in '52 or thereabouts...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I don't know why, but I'm kind of surprised that the factory did it that long ago.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville