OT: Wolfe Publishing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

OT: Wolfe Publishing

Post by Mainehunter »

I have been getting Handloader & Rifle magazines for about 10 years now. I have collected quite a few of them and I just can't seem to part with them so I'm running out of room to store them. My subscription is running out at the end of this month I want to resubscribe but I'm thinking of getting the online copies instead. I'm just wondering if anybody here has done the same? Your thoughts? :?:

Mainehunter :wink:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Wolfe Publishing

Post by TedH »

I do the online subscription to Handloader and Rifle magazines. It's cheaper, but it's kind of a pain for me to read that way. I don't like all the scrolling up and down. I'm going to let mine go and possibly return to paper versions.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I clipped the articles I liked/needed from my magazines (any magazine) and put them in three ring binders. Down to 3 binders rather than 20+ boxes of magazines! I only keep the Wolfe pubs three years before clipping them. New one in, old one out.

My wife is adhering to the old system with her magazines and has them all over the place. If she should precede me in going home the magazines will be going to the dump ASAP. :lol: I'm not going to find a home for them like I'm trying to do for Mom's cats! :lol:

One more thing. I like being able to carry the magazine to the "reading room" in the middle of the night... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Paper copy for me thanks. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I like paper. I haven't found a "laptop" table that works in the throne room. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hobie wrote:One more thing. I like being able to carry the magazine to the "reading room" in the middle of the night... :wink:
GOOD POINT!!! And should the toilet paper run out, well .........!!!
ED
Yer never too old
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Paper. And I keep the whole mag as I often find myself delving into new areas of interest and then going back and searching for articles on that particular cartrdige, rifle, etc....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I have full sets of both (missing 2 issues of Rifle) stored in the Wolfe binders (2 yrs per binder) in by reloading room. They're the only magazines I keep, Shooting Times, G&A, and the NRA magazines I give way. I wouldn't be interested in the online option, I like to read where & when the urge strikes me.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

WinM71 reflects my feelings , nearly.
I refuse to pay Wolfes prices for their binders. Use the Sq.D's from the office supply stores w/the plastic mag. holders purchased in quantity.
I find this to be my most used reference library.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Paper. I work on computers all week long. I want to hold it in my hand and read it under one of those oldfashioned incandescent lights by the time I get home. My only complaint is that sometimes the people who layout the articles use a background on the initial splash page of an article that makes the text hard to read for me. I find that American Rifleman does the same every once in a while.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Same as Ted , tried the online version and didn't like the scolling up and down. Plus it isn't portable , in the car or where ever you go.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Both, for different reasons.

Scrolling on a computer and sitting in one position for long periods of time just doesn't work for me. And I like to carry a magazine into the living room when my wife is watching "Super Nanny," soap operas, reality shows and other stuff that tends to rot my brain and drive me up the wall. So I subscribe to the paper version of the magazines to read. I store them in their separate bins on a shelf until they are a few years old, and rotate the stock.

I save the online magazines on a secondary (USB) hard drive (along with other reference archives). Cyber storage is pretty cheap, these days. I use a search program to bring up old articles, load info, and the like, if I need to read or reference an old article. I can then reprint the articles of the older magazines, if necessary - such as when I purchased a new Marlin 1895 and now needed that information on the best .45-70 loads that was written two years ago in one of the magazines. Like the Commie Karl Marx said: "Knowledge is power."
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

While living overseas, I switched to the electronic copies. For the most part I prefer the paper copies, but the electronic has its advantages. I keep a large "notebook" on my PC with quotes and extracts from various sources. With the electronic copies, it's a simple copy/paste; with paper I have to transcribe. Storage is far more compact; I have over two years stored on my PC with no space wasted on my bookshelves. I keep back ups on a cheap USB flash memory card. Lastly, the electronic copy is much less expensive. On the whole, I'll stay with the electronic version.
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

I switches to on-line two years ago. I have 3-ring binders set up for all the calibers I reload for and when I find an article that I like, I print it out and it goes into the proper binder. Also have a misc binder. Keeps down the volume of paper I store and makes it easy to find info on whatever I'm working on at any given time.
Zack
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Thanks for the replies! :) Don't get me wrong I love the paper copies myself. Another thing besides running out of room is I'm not the best "book keeper" when it comes to being organized with my magazines. They are all in boxes which they should be in binders and labeled. I thought with the PDF version they would be simpler to store and if I need any past articles I can search and print off the copies that I need.

Mainehunter :wink:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I like the magazine in my hands -- therefore, paper.

A magazine collector would kill me though. If there is an article in one of the magazines that is of particular interest to me -- say "Reloading for .444 Marlin"; "iron Sights"; .30-30 Rifles; etc. -- I just write in black magic marker right on the cover of the magazine what is in the magazine that I'm interested in. That way, when I'm looking for something in a back issue, I just read my notes on the covers, which saves a lot of scanning of the magazine indexes.
ED
Yer never too old