OT Another 308 fox.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT Another 308 fox.

Post by Nath »

Took this feller at 40yds up the jacksie whilst he was pestering a vixen out of sight of me but I knew she was there!
I was listening to the pheasants half a mile away as they drew a line of the direction this fox was moving and homed in. I was pleased really, the area I shot him was an area I have not been on for 10years!
I don't think I will leave it so long next time!
I recently did the trigger on this gun, it was 3 1/4lbs and now is 2 1/4lb, much better :D
I also shot two crows the other day at over 100yds for one shot :D I waited untill they lined up and let them have it :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT Another 308 fox.

Post by AndyM »

Good shooting, that looks like a pretty big one.
thanks for posting the pics.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Yet another nice one Nath :!: :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hey Nath, you're getting to like that .308 too much! :D 8) :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wide open space for Sherwood Forest - those guys aren't safe with you about and that rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! 8)

So Nath, just how many of these varmits do you think you've rid the world of over your lifetime? :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I wouldn't say more than 500 yet YK but not far of!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nath good shooting.That photo looks just like a grain field on the east side of Montana. danny
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bigsky, then it will be my little bit of Montana :D The local folk call it the swamp but I'm gonna call it Montana :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nath
I hunt upland birds(huns, pheasants, sharptail and prairie chickens) on a 20 k acre grain ranch east of the Bear Paw Mtns and south of Chinook, MT. that terrain there looks just like yours around the old homesteads, they have wind breaks on 2 sides north and west that would be full of huns and pheasants. Miles of rolling prairie with wheat & barley stubble separated by coulees full of cover for the birds and full of fox and coyotes and one pest that is bad on bird dogs porcupines we shoot them on sight for a place that doesnt have many edible trees its full of them. I'll see if I cant find some photos. danny
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sounds like you need a good fox n' coyote man there Bigsky :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Nath
I was gonna ask how long of a shot you could end up with (seing this guy got it at 40yds) but looking at the background answers that question. Nice going. Are the furs worth much there? That is a NICE looking pelt minus the hole on the other side :shock: ).

Montana in the UK. Parliment ought to love that one, bring a bit of Yankee land home! :D

Over 500? Sounds like the foxes do not like it when you're around.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pelts are worthless here handi.
The longest distance I killed a vixen was 388 paces many years ago with a 222 chucking a 52grn match bullet at some thing like 2850fps IIRMC. In fact it didn't kill it but stopped her and the second shot did kill her :shock: resting off a barbwire fence :shock: I was a fair shot then :|
The other day I tried this load on a handy piece of flint at what turned out to 185 paces resting on top of a recent cut hedge. Spot on set a little at 1" plus at 100 paces. The powder is a little slow and I am soon to switch to faster fuel as I consume the dregs of various powder and bullets collected over the years. I feel confident out to 200yds at the moment and would go further for the hell of it should the oppurtunity require it.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice job, Nath. It appears that Remmie 308 is going to be a keeper. I know mine is.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath, that 308 is certainly enough gun for those foxes! Can I tempt you into considering an original Winchester Model 1892 38-40? It would certainly be a thrill for me to take a fox with one of these old vintage Winchesters in England. I'll be in Edinburgh again for a week near the end of February, but I think I'll leave my guns at home.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You take care traveling to Scotland Kirk and don't be dropping any blue ice through my roof !!
Yep I sure would like a 92 in 38/40 and it is very kind of you to offer me one :lol:

Nath :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote:Yep I sure would like a 92 in 38/40 and it is very kind of you to offer me one :lol:
Nath :wink:
By gum, if I were an eccentric millionaire, I would buy about 50 original Model 1892's in 38-40 caliber and give them away to interested parties, including you and Gamekeeper. The 38-40 has become one of my favourite cartridges. We have a fox that has been hanging around the yard, taking an interest in Mr Pickles, our orange tabby cat. I'm thinking that if I see him again, he's going to find himself being made into a rug. I plan to use the 38-40 to do the deed.

Those are sure some nice areas you hunt in, Nath.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Now I do want a picture of your quality if you get him with one of those big fat rounds balanced on the end of his nose!
Go get him Kirk :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!