Winchester '73 .32-20....TRADED FOR '76

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester '73 .32-20....TRADED FOR '76

Post by 1988rrc »

its not a favorite cartridge of mine, but i ran into this rifle for sale at a local gun shop.
reference this link for metal condition 'only' for the rifle i have seen.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =118230570

The price in the gun shop has been dropped from $700.00 to $550.00.
here are the bad parts of this deal:
long ago someone has etched there name in the butt stock, the front sight blade is missing and the rear sight looks to be a bad (not correct) replacement sight.
the mechanism seem OK, metal is good condition and it functions correctly. the serial number ends with an 'A'. forgot, its also missing the dust cover.

I'm not sure of the price range for the .32-20 cal. rifles; what do you think??? buy or pass by?
Last edited by 1988rrc on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester '73 .32-20

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My local dealer has one in much the same condition as you say. Heis asking 3K ! :o
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have seen one here in the UK in worse condition for about £1200.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

1988rrc wrote:its not a favorite cartridge of mine, but i ran into this rifle for sale at a local gun shop.
reference this link for metal condition 'only' for the rifle i have seen.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =118230570

The price in the gun shop has been dropped from $700.00 to $550.00.
here are the bad parts of this deal:
long ago someone has etched there name in the butt stock, the front sight blade is missing and the rear sight looks to be a bad (not correct) replacement sight.
the mechanism seem OK, metal is good condition and it functions correctly. the serial number ends with an 'A'. forgot, its also missing the dust cover.

I'm not sure of the price range for the .32-20 cal. rifles; what do you think??? buy or pass by?
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If it were in my local gunshop, I'd have bought it. The sights can be replaced with proper ones. As for dust cover, the earliest ones didn't have any. If it is supposed to have one, original ones can be had. The 32-20 is one of my favourite cartridges.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

If the metal is the same - or even close to the rifle in the link, $550 is a bargain indeed!

Replacement dust covers and sights are no problem to find, and appear almost daily on flea-bay. There are also serviceable replacements being reproduced.

The open top model that Kirk referred to, without the dust cover, was a first model that was actually produced for the Spanish market, although a few of those receivers where used in domestic production. All first models were 44WCF. However, Winchester never threw anything away, so if you find one of those, in any condition or caliber, I recommend you buy it!

The 32-20 was not introduced until 1882, making most of them 3rd models. That said, a few second model 32-20 were produced and those would have the rail for the sliding dust cover mounted to the top of the frame with screws. If that rail is missing, it could be a problem to find a replacement. That said, it is most likely a third model, with the rail an integral part of the receiver.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

now that i bought it, i need a few replacement parts; any good suggestions on old parts for this .32-20? (besides eBay)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com are good sources for guys parting out guns.

gunpartscorp.com sometimes has Winchester stuff.

good deal by the way. I have my Grandfather's '73 / .32-20. Neat old rifles!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

How's the bore?
"That'll Be The Day"
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Where's the pictures?????
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

The bore is dark, but cleaning up nicely & the rifling is coming to life...still working on the bore, with lots of black 'stuff' still coming out. it is completely disassembled now for cleaning, repair & replacements. i will do the pictures when it is completed.

PS......ser # is 126XXXA
xxx=don't remember the other numbers.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulations - sounds like you picked up a sweet deal and fun project gun. Be sure to take some "before" pictures as well - always neat to see the transformation (salvation) of a beautiful old lever! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

1988, if you find another '73 in 38 WCF and in decent shape for around that price let me know. I'd like to pick one up if it isn't beat to death and quasi shootable (minor problems kind of like yours).
Old Law Dawg
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

I got one for... let's say the equivalent of three flats of beer. Serial number makes it an 83 model. It doesn't have the magazine tube and all the bits that go with it though.

Yes I know, this is useless without pics :-) Will see if I can post some tomorrow.

Edit : serial is 1173xxA, as far as I can tell.

So... anyone have a spare magazine tube assembly lying around? :-)
R
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Heck of a find! :)

I gave an old 76 Winchester some new life, also. It is pretty fun and a good learning experience.

I got a number of my replacement parts from ebay and then an outfit in texas, Chas Jones. He does a pretty fair job of recreating the quality of parts. chasjonesgunparts.com
He does not have a phone number listed for the business.

Great luck in your journey!

Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Hey Retro...you know that sight's almost as valuable as the rifle?

Ed
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kansas Ed wrote:Hey Retro...you know that sight's almost as valuable as the rifle?

Ed
I was about to post that.

If you're looking to get rid of that '73 I know someone who'd probably taken it. :D
Old Law Dawg
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

sorry for the duplicate, i just figured out how to show the pictures in the message in lieu of a link.

okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Well Done! :D

Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now all you have to do is scour the history books for someone famous who had those initials, and all of a sudden they take on a whole new meaning...! :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

What a buy :shock: The buttstock is absolutely the reason the shop had it marked so low, but it still looks to be worth 3 times what you paid for it

I wonder if it would be possible to "age" a replacement buttstock for this rifle to roughly match the fore end.

Either way , outstanding rifle !
----- Doug
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is super nice. Congratulations! Finding out who HCW is would be a fun little mystery.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester '73 .32-20....TRADED FOR '76

Post by 1988rrc »

Well i traded the '73 (plus other stuff) last night for a 1876 i have been eying for over 3 years. The '76 is a second model, .45-60, 26" barrel, ser #22560, set trigger, Lyman front sight, XX wood with checkering (saw the xx marks under the but stock last night). It needs an replacement rear sight, extractor, swivel sling hardware & nose cap screws. It seems to be clean, no buggered screw heads. only issue is the metal finish has been removed some how and the stocks seem to of been refinished and or sanded some (not much checkering left on the wood).

I hope i made out ok with the trade; its a start on the '76 guns. I like the '76 a lot more than the '73.

Which rear sight should go back on this rifle? Im thinking of removing the shinny finish on the stock, what do you all (that know more about these than i do) think should be done with this one?

Here are some photos.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Neat!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That is SUPER neat... deserving of it's own post! I like the wood as is; but if too shiney for you... just knock off the glare with some 6-0 steel wool.

I believe the same rear sight as the '73 would be appropriate: Winchester Repro 73, 76 and 86 Serrated Adj Sight.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent! The .45-60 is my favourite '76 cartridge and easy to load for. I'm planning to purchase one in three weeks if all goes well. I've already ordered dies for $49 from Track of the Wolf. I'm planning to get some cases from Rocky Mountain Cartridges. I had one a couple years ago and sure do miss not having a '76 in .45-60.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

will a '73 extractor interchange with the '76 extractor?