357 MAGNUM DOES IT AGAIN!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

357 MAGNUM DOES IT AGAIN!

Post by nemhed »

Heres the results of 12 hours in the woods yesterday. The morning started out at 15 degrees, maybe not cold to some of you guys, but cold to me especially for November. Got this guy with 10 minutes of shooting light left. I had to prove to my son that this is still my rifle.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Re: 357 MAGNUM DOES IT AGAIN!

Post by pharmseller »

That's great! We need details! What load, distance, shot placement, the color of your socks - the works!

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

This was my first deer with my own handloads. I used the 180gr Hornady XTP over 12.6 grains of 2400. I shot him at 50 yards as he was moving from the edge of a field into some brush. He kind of made me rush my shot because I was expecting him to stop at the sound of my grunt, and he had no intentions of stopping as he was trailing a doe I had seen about 30 minutes earlier. I had also planned on a neck shot because I didn't want him crossing onto the adjacent property. So I aimed for the base of the necked as he was broadside to me, the shot broke his back right between his shoulder blades. He went down like a ton of bricks. A spine shot wasn't what I had in mind for load testing but it sure did the trick. I haven't found out yet how the XTP faired.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nice!!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You .357 fellers make me wonder why I carry a 45-70 :lol: Maybe I just like the pain. :P
Nice Indy whitetail, good shot, Bro.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Great Job!
Thanks for the pic and info.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nice of the boy to let you borrow that gun... :lol: Nice deer! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Nice!

If I get to go hunt with 86er again, I may step down to the .357 instead of the .44M :mrgreen: 158g full house loads should be good for a hog. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

nice deer, as was said before nice of your boy to loan you his rifle. :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I bet that XTP is just fine.
Boy that is alot of meat for so little powder, good for you and who ever made the 357m :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
klrhunter650
Levergunner

Post by klrhunter650 »

Hey man, great deer!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Congratulations! What's there not to like about a 357 magnum from a long gun? :mrgreen:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Wow ...I'm impressed!
Congrats.....nice deer
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Congratulations, nice one!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

Congrats! I see you are from Indiana. Did you hunt the PCR season last year with the .357? This was my 1st yr. hunting with the .44 mag. My son and I did quite well with them. Sold my shotgun, and ain't lookin back :mrgreen:

maddog
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Very nice. OI has a 180gr load that is a monster if you ever want to try cast.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Didn't anyone tell you that you can't kill a deer with that puny thing! :lol:

Congratulations. :D
NRA Life Member
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

BlaineG wrote:You .357 fellers make me wonder why I carry a 45-70 :lol: Maybe I just like the pain. :P
Nice Indy whitetail, good shot, Bro.
+1 Nice deer.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a good deer, and it sure is nice of your son to loan old dad a rifle to use.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

pharmseller wrote:...the color of your socks...
Still eagerly awaiting that piece of info. :D

Scott
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Socks: gray wool
Underwear: white cotton

Oh wait. maybe I've got that backwards :? :oops: .
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Nice buck, great story!

All the fellows who post saying that a .357 is 'marginal' needs to see your buck! :mrgreen:

And all the fellows that post asking if a .357 is ENOUGH, should see your buck!!! :mrgreen:

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

44LVR wrote:Nice buck, great story!

All the fellows who post saying that a .357 is 'marginal' needs to see your buck! :mrgreen:

And all the fellows that post asking if a .357 is ENOUGH, should see your buck!!! :mrgreen:

I know guys who won't use less than a 7mm Rem Mag on 130 lb. whitetails at 75 yds. :lol:
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice going! Looks like the pistol caliber levergun season has been a good thing! BTW, what's that carry handle up there on the top of the boy's gun?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

66GTO wrote:
44LVR wrote:I know guys who won't use less than a 7mm Rem Mag on 130 lb. whitetails at 75 yds. :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen:

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

44LVR wrote:
66GTO wrote:
44LVR wrote:I know guys who won't use less than a 7mm Rem Mag on 130 lb. whitetails at 75 yds. :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen:

A 30-06 with a good bullet will pass thru a small deer without opening and those people using the super-mags do not always get their animal for the same reason. The smaller 30WCF and the .357 get the job done BECAUSE they are smaller and open up easier with Green Box ammo..... The big bores speak for themselves... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

nice ! there are shotgun only areas in pa. i hope that we will one day follow illi's lead and allow the use of pistol caliber rifles in these areas. penna. game commision is usually far behind the learning curve when it comes to innovative ideas. maybe one day. :roll:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

tman wrote:nice ! there are shotgun only areas in pa. i hope that we will one day follow illi's lead and allow the use of pistol caliber rifles in these areas. penna. game commision is usually far behind the learning curve when it comes to innovative ideas. maybe one day. :roll:
Man that would be great. :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good job! Extra points for using your own reloads.
Old Law Dawg
DJWright
Levergunner

Post by DJWright »

Nice deer! You know, I got to thinkin'. . . . When I was a kid I shot many deer with a .357 revolver. An old Colt Trooper. Lost track of the deer I killed on a private 80,000 acre ranch for the cowboy BBQs for the cattle roundups. Never had a problem with it not being enough gun. . . . . . EVER! But, some where along the line, someone told me, or I read somewhere that you needed a bigger gun to kill deer. So got a .30-06 Blah, blah, blah. Hell, even shot them with a .460 Weatherby. After about 40+ years of hunting, I've gone full circle and started using a .357 again, but this time in a Marlin lever. Makes me wonder why I ever spent good money on all those hundreds of firearms ever since! Good deer; Great rifle! Best.
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

DJWright wrote:Nice deer! You know, I got to thinkin'. . . . When I was a kid I shot many deer with a .357 revolver. An old Colt Trooper. Lost track of the deer I killed on a private 80,000 acre ranch for the cowboy BBQs for the cattle roundups. Never had a problem with it not being enough gun. . . . . . EVER! But, some where along the line, someone told me, or I read somewhere that you needed a bigger gun to kill deer. So got a .30-06 Blah, blah, blah. Hell, even shot them with a .460 Weatherby. After about 40+ years of hunting, I've gone full circle and started using a .357 again, but this time in a Marlin lever. Makes me wonder why I ever spent good money on all those hundreds of firearms ever since! Good deer; Great rifle! Best.
Good story, GREAT point! Luckily after I found the caliber of .44, I never strayed again. Of course, that was 30 years ago when I found it :D

Sometimes its tough not fixing something that ain't broken!

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Very nice. The .357 certainly does perform all out of per portion to it's size. 1886.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neato pic and story. Old Paco does say the 357 with heavy bullets is a smasher. good job and excellent shot :D A good quick kill :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

nemhed wrote:Heres the results of 12 hours in the woods yesterday. The morning started out at 15 degrees, maybe not cold to some of you guys, but cold to me especially for November. Got this guy with 10 minutes of shooting light left. I had to prove to my son that this is still my rifle.
Good shooting and nice deer.
g rice
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

Congrats, nice shooting
Death Before Dishonor
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

When I went to look for a lever-action in .357 back in 1981, I was told the caliber wasn't legal for deer in Colorado, so I got a .44 Mag Marlin. I've never even looked to see if it's still not legal. Obviously, within its range, the .357 will do the job.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

I want to get a .357 carbine for deer, for use in NY. A couple of the guys in the deer camp I belong to have .44 Mag Ruger autoloaders. One of them has shot two deer with it, but he hit each one in the legs (found the 8-pointer the next day, still alive, one year--lost the doe he shot the next year, after it started raining in buckets). It's obvious that where one places the shot is everything.