Gun sales up in Calif.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Gun sales up in Calif.

Post by Old Savage »

Gun sales in Calif up 5 fold and sometimes more since the election.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gun sales up in Calif.

Post by CowboyTutt »

I was told that last Saturday set an all time record of goverment background checks for firearms, but I don't know what my friends source was for that information.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Savage wrote:Gun sales in Calif up 5 fold and sometimes more since the election.
Ya got that right OS. I went into a small gun store two towns over yesterday and he is out of firearms completely. No nothing. He's got ammo but that is going fast. He says since the election it's the most business he's done in the last three years combined. He has placed a $75,000.00 order with his two suppliers and is expecting firearms next week.
ED
Yer never too old
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The press is stating that NICS are up 9% - that seems way way too low. I wonder if its for the year or something.... because I'm betting they are up more like 400% for the last month.... but then, that would be like reporting what is really happening!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

O.S.O.K. wrote:The press is stating that NICS are up 9% - that seems way way too low.
I've seen the press say both 9% and 49% on the NICS checks. I'm guessing the latter is the right number. Someone probably put a typo into an AP news feed and it lives on through repetition. Although, they can keep saying 9% for all I care as I'm sure it seems less alarming to the sheeple than 49% would.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Wandered through some of the local shops last evening while wife was at Dr.s appointment.

Ma Hubbards cubbard was bare.

Would be a crisis if one did not have a little something put away for a rainy day...
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I would bet that the 49% figure is closer to truth than 9%.
NRA Life Member
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hey, that's not fair. The wife usually gets me something interesting for Christmas. This means pickins will be lean and prices will be up. :twisted:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

From World Net Daily
WEAPONS OF CHOICE
Obama election triggers national gun rush
FBI reports 49% increase in firearm background checks in 1 week
Posted: November 12, 2008
1:05 pm Eastern

By Chelsea Schilling
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

Gun sales have skyrocketed since Barack Obama was elected, and many gun owners say they are concerned the nation's next president and a Democratic-controlled Congress will impose a ban on assault rifles and firearm ownership.

From Nov. 3 to Nov. 9, the FBI reported 374,000 background checks on people purchasing guns – a 49 percent jump from last year. Dealers are reporting larger-than-usual sales since Election Day, according to the Chicago Tribune. The rush to buy weapons is more intense than in the days following Y2K and the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Post-election gun rush

Dallas, Texas, gun shop owner DeWayne Irwin said the election, combined with an unstable economy, triggered a firearms dash at his store.

"People are terrified of losing their right to protect themselves," Irwin told the Tribune. "The volume is 10 times what we ever expected. It started with assault rifles, but at this point people are buying ammunition, high-capacity magazines, Glocks – it's all flying off the shelf. With the economy the way it is, people are worried about instability. They are scared of civil unrest."

Likewise, Manassas, Va., gun store owner Bernie Conatser told CNN firearm sales have almost tripled at his shop.

"I have been in business for 12 years, and I was here for Y2K, September 11, Katrina," Conatser said. "And all of those were big events, and we did notice a spike in business, but nothing on the order of what we are seeing right now."

Managers at a shooting center in Houston reported selling out of assault weapons the day after Obama was elected. It now has a month-long waiting list for weapons costing more than $1,000 each.

Colorado and Illinois are also reporting record sales. Zion, Ill., gun store owner Jerry Bricco said Obama's gun policies have his customers worried.

"We've had a lot of people concerned because our president-elect is extremely anti-gun and so is his running mate," Bricco told the Tribune. "They're afraid of future gun bans and what you will be allowed to get."

(Story continues below)

Obama's position on guns

Obama's campaign website states, "Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns."

However, a 1996 Independent Voters of Illinois/Independent Precinct Organization general candidate questionnaire asked Obama during his first run for Illinois Senate, "Do you support state legislation to ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns?" and "Do you support state legislation to ban assault weapons?" He replied "yes" to both questions, though he now claims his handwriting was not on the questionnaire.

On Sept. 13, 2004, Obama told "Eight Forty-Eight," a WBEZ Chicago NPR radio show, "I continue to support a ban on concealed carry laws."

During the 2008 Philadelphia primary debate, Obama said he supported the Washington, D.C., ban on handguns.

"As a general principle, I believe that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms," he said. "But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can't constrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local governments can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it."

Obama's 2006 book, "The Audacity of Hope," states, "I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities, and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manufacturer's lobby."

Just last month when he was on the campaign trail in Ohio, Obama reassured voters, "I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away." Some say he was expressing disdain for gun ownership in April when he said rural Americans "cling to guns or religion" during hardship.

Obama's record prompted the National Rifle Association to warn Sept. 11, 2008, that Obama would be "The most anti-gun president in American history." NRA lobbyist Chris Cox said Obama has supported the "most radical gun control agenda that's ever been imagined."

"He voted to ban almost all hunting ammunition," Cox said. "He supported a 500 percent tax increase on guns and ammunition. So this guy is bad news when it comes to the Second Amendment and if people are buying guns, it doesn't really surprise me."

Likewise, Vice President-elect Joe Biden supported President Bill Clinton's 1994 assault weapons ban requiring manufacturers to stop producing semi-automatic assault weapons and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds for public use. The ban expired in 2004, and many people fear Obama's administration will push to reinstate it.

Local crackdown on gun ownership

Meanwhile, some cities and counties are attempting to preempt state laws by enacting their own forms of gun control.

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels is seeking to ban legally permitted handguns from city-owned parks and buildings, despite a 47-year-old Washington prohibition against city regulation of firearms. Springfield, Mo., is also attempting to ban guns from city parks, and the National Rifle Association is challenging Philadelphia's move to impose one-gun-a-month limits and a ban on assault weapons.

One Orange County, Calif., sheriff has sparked fury with her controversial decision to revoke concealed weapons permits approved by former Sheriff Michael Carona unless gun owners can prove they have "good cause" for needing them.

Critics claim Sheriff Sandra Hutchens violated Second Amendment rights when she ordered a lieutenant to review concealed weapons permits to decide whether gun owners had valid reasons for carrying handguns, the Los Angeles Times reported. Her office set out 422 letters to permit holders, warning them that they would need to justify their permits or have them revoked.

Hutchinson said she was surprised at the public response.

There's so much important stuff going on with the department, I didn't expect there to be so much feedback on this," she told the Times.

Hutchens said she does not believe she is violating Second Amendment rights by preventing people from carrying guns in public.

"What if someone who had been issued a [concealed carry permit] by Carona went out and hurt someone?" she said. "It certainly wouldn't look good for the county."
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i reckon i'd better order a stag arms varmint before it's too late, huh?

too bad gun sales like that aren't ALL THE TIME...drive the libs nuts
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'm not wasting my money, or time, buying anything that requires registration and a background check. They know who bought what and when, so they can come for them when Osama-bama dictates the order. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

He can't take your guns guys, We still have the last time I looked a second amendment. They will try to dry up ammo and mess with where you can carry, and of course try and ban guns that look like assault rifles, but remember the High Court just said they cannot band a entire class of weapons, unless they are weapons used on the battle field like full autos. I believe the word was (unreasonable). When bill was in office and they voted for the gun ban remember how many seats they lost in the next election. And now the courts have voted on the second ammendment and the NRA and others have power to take the Goverment to court on the matter if it needs to. My two cents....Ammo could go through the roof and weapons could cost much more if OB lets people sue the gun companies like they did with the cigarette companies. That would be the worst case. But don't lose any sleep over losing your gun's it aint going to happen. re-edit.. One other thing Obama and the Dems will not hold power forever and just like the gun ban before it expired and things went back to normal. If he does anything like I have pointed out above it will be over turned when the Rep get control again. If you own an AK 47 look alike, or an AR 15 or any other rifle that looks like a battle field weapon then yes" You need to be worried" or if you live in places like the BIG APPLE,,etc..you need to be worried. He may have big dreams and can say anything he wants and post all that BS on his web site but he is not God and they all have to following the court rulings just like us.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:He can't take your guns guys, We still have the last time I looked a second amendment. They will try to dry up ammo and mess with where you can carry, and of course try and ban guns that look like assault rifles, but remember the High Court just said they cannot band a entire class of weapons, unless they are weapons used on the battle field like full autos. I believe the word was (unreasonable). When bill was in office and they voted for the gun ban remember how many seats they lost in the next election. And now the courts have voted on the second ammendment and the NRA and others have power to take the Goverment to court on the matter if it needs to. My two cents....Ammo could go through the roof and weapons could cost much more if OB lets people sue the gun companies like they did with the cigarette companies. That would be the worst case. But don't lose any sleep over losing your gun's it aint going to happen. re-edit.. One other thing Obama and the Dems will not hold power forever and just like the gun ban before it expired and things went back to normal. If he does anything like I have pointed out above it will be over turned when the Rep get control again. If you own an AK 47 look alike, or an AR 15 or any other rifle that looks like a battle field weapon then yes" You need to be worried" or if you live in places like the BIG APPLE,,etc..you need to be worried. He may have big dreams and can say anything he wants and post all that BS on his web site but he is not God and they all have to following the court rulings just like us.
And I will once again pont out that Andrew Jackson didn't give a fig for any SCOTUS ruling that didn't help him. He did what he pleased.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Old Savage wrote:Gun sales in Calif up 5 fold and sometimes more since the election.
I'm partly to blame for that :oops:
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

My retired dealer emailed me that his wholesale supplier in AZ did $685,000 in sales after the election , cheaper than dirt sold a lot of merchandize. ,A friend told me a dealer in CA sold all of his AR's and he only had a few bottom ends left ,in Pa stores were almost out of ammo & components .
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:The press is stating that NICS are up 9% - that seems way way too low.
I've seen the press say both 9% and 49% on the NICS checks. I'm guessing the latter is the right number. Someone probably put a typo into an AP news feed and it lives on through repetition. Although, they can keep saying 9% for all I care as I'm sure it seems less alarming to the sheeple than 49% would.

Not all gun sales go through the NICS check so what ever the number is it still wouldn’t reflect actual sales.

Dennis.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have plenty right now. But I kind of want another 336A before they run out (they are discontinued). We'll see.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Ammo, lots of ammo. Reloaders are wise to get components, store in a bunch. Factory ammo is better than no ammo, better get some now. Lousy .22 rimfire was in mid 8 dollar range for those Federal 550 bulk packs not very few months ago at Wallys. Now pushing 14.00 in Kansas, better load up if you're short. I just got yesterday some 45-70's from Cabellas, free shipping on orders over 125.00, that helped a little. But those 45-70's are over 10 bucks a box higher from some PMC's in 405 grainers I bought about 2 years ago. Just goes up and up. I imagine in our soon coming little world of "The Big O" running things, that a 50 round small box of .22 rimfire could be 25.00, if he could cause that to happen through taxes and fees on ammo. No one would shoot .22 then.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

I got my Obama gun! :mrgreen:

Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

otteray wrote:
You and me both but, hey, we're gun nuts. We don't need an election to make us want another gun. Just cruising the latest gun magazine gives me GAS. (Gun Acquisition Syndrome.) :lol:
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

They are only up because of me. :mrgreen:
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I wish................... :lol:
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Today I took my daughter to the local gun shop and she purchased 2 guns She bought a .380 and a .40 cal acp. I will be taking her to the range this weekend to help give her some handgun training. She will be going for her carry permit in a few days. The gun shop was packed with people buying firearms. I was happy to see that. Hopefully this will send a message to Obama and his clowns on how America feels about their guns.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

"Hopefully this will send a message to Obama and his clowns on how America feels about their guns."

what makes you think they care what you think now? :shock: their agenda is all that matter to them...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Gary wrote:
otteray wrote:
You and me both but, hey, we're gun nuts. We don't need an election to make us want another gun. Just cruising the latest gun magazine gives me GAS. (Gun Acquisition Syndrome.) :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent work, men! Keep 'em comin' home!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Is anyone really surprised by this?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I saw this coming 18 or more months ago. I bought accordingly. Knowing that the Dems would be back in office sooner rather than later. They would be looking for another Clinton gun ban and more.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.