Winchester 1895

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1895

Post by milton »

I have looked through all my literature and cannot find an illustration on how a Winchester '95 locks on firing;could one of you kind souls provide such an illustration of the bolt/breech locking mechanism?
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Don McDowell

Re: Winchester 1895

Post by Don McDowell »

95's lock up before firing just as the other JM Browning designs do. It does differ in that the lever actually has a hook on it that hold the rear lugs up,by latching the lever in place.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

milton wrote:I have looked through all my literature and cannot find an illustration on how a Winchester '95 locks on firing;could one of you kind souls provide such an illustration of the bolt/breech locking mechanism?
North Cape Publications has three volumes (in their "For Collectors Only" series books) on Winchester lever rifles - #3 titled "The Models of 1894 and 1895". Unfortunately, they are temporarily out of stock but here is the link:

https://www.northcapepubs.com/

Quoting from that book - copyrighted to Arthur Pirkle -

"The locking bolt of the Model 1895, unlike the Model 1894, does not completely block the rear of the breechbolt but rather slides up into milled sections on each side of the rear face. These rails are 3/8 inch wide leaving an opening in the center for the hammer to strike the rear of the firing pin," Illustration is provided as are more details.

These books are worth waiting for to any levergunner.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by OJ on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thanks for the help! Sounds like a combination of an 1894 Winchester and a 336 Marlin.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

This image from my discussion about my rifle should answer your question.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you very much,that does indeed answer my curiosity !