Guide gun for elk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Guide gun for elk

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Just picked up a stainless guide gun and am trying to decide to go with a scout scope or a conventional.
I've taken two elk off the place I hunt, both were at 50yds or less.
I have LEUP scout scope with XS sights on a Marlin 30-30, but for this rifle I was thinking of a 1.5-5.
What are your thoughts?
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Guide gun for elk

Post by Andrew »

Well, I am biased and enjoy the iron sights. If you like scopes, I like to use the scout setup.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Hillbilly, 50 yards on your last two elk, congrats on the stalking skills! :) If I were to do it that close, but HAD to have optics ( I prefer peep sights ), I would look real hard at a Burris FastFire Red dot with a picatinny rail adapter. It's light (only 2 oz), unlimited field of view, 4 moa dot ( covers 4" at 100 yards ) and is super fast to get into action. Then again with your skills, save the money and use the stock iron sights! My opinion of course, your mileage may vary.....;).

Thanks and good hunting, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've elk hunted my Guide Gun with a Leupold 1-4x20. It's about perfect for that rifle IMO. The 1.5-5 would be about the same. I like shooting irons a lot, but for a serious hunting gun I like a scope for several reasons, not the least of which is the ability to gather light, which can be very important if you're hunting dark timber.
NRA Life Member
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

As a former Guide Gun owner, and I still miss it, I have definite opinions about Guide Guns and scopes.

If you are going to use heavy loads, you don't want a conventionally mounted scope. You will have magnum eye.

I believe that the Scout Scope concept was intended for the Guide Gun.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
specops
Levergunner

Post by specops »

I have a 2X pistol scope on my Guide gun and it works perfect. First time I turned loose a Garrett 420 Hammerhead off the bench I was very glad I wasn't using a conventional scope mount. I'd still be wearing it. Recently picked up a Bushnell 3200 Elite 2X6 pistol scope. I'm going to give it a try but at 2X for field use. Working on 500 gr. loads for a buffalo hunt. Anybody have experience? Still debating whether to use my Guide gun or take my 1886 Winchester take down.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

TedH wrote: I like shooting irons a lot, but for a serious hunting gun I like a scope for several reasons, not the least of which is the ability to gather light, which can be very important if you're hunting dark timber.
+1 one that - I have not yet been able to hunt elk all that much. BUT.... on my eastern whitetail guns - when I go to camp - I take 2 guns along - one w/ a scope and one w/o out. If it is a bluebird type of day the scope comes along - if it is blowing snow or raining - the irons come along. Seems like the long term average on kills is 50/50 scopes vs. iron...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...