OT PatriotPost Humor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

OT PatriotPost Humor

Post by Coldfingers »

Like a good lawyer joke, it would be funnier if it were not so true...

http://archive.patriotpost.us:80/humor/?cartoonid=1648
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT PatriotPost Humor

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You beat me to it - I got this in the e-mail today.

I agree - it would be funny if it weren't so true!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Believe it or not, that's what the Electoral College is for (or was originally).
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wouldn't be an issue if we had stuck to the founder's original plan. They set up such a great system that the country could afford to vote in complete morons and still be fine.

Problem is that Congress is chuck full of crooks on both sides of the isle. Maybe - maybe - 1% of them actually follow the Constitution. The rest are greedy liars and cheats; I wish we could run them all out of town on a rail! :evil:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

20cows wrote:Believe it or not, that's what the Electoral College is for (or was originally).
Very true, originally, the members of the congress didn't have to "vote" for the candidate that there constituants selected. Not sure, but that may still apply in some states.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, I understand why the electoral college was originated. It was a time/distance thing. But today, it would be possible to use the popular vote numbers to select the President. Another little change that might keep them on their toes, is t have the President and Vice President elected separately, instead of vote for one and automatically get the other as we now do. Of course, my idea of term limits is "once and done". That means hold any office at a given level of government, and you done, i.e. serve as a congress person you're done, or a senator you'er done etc. I would let them hold say one local office, one state office, and one federal office. But, the get no pensions. And for pete's sake, why do we pay per diem to a guy making $160,000.00 a year.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

jeepnik wrote:
20cows wrote:Believe it or not, that's what the Electoral College is for (or was originally).
Very true, originally, the members of the congress didn't have to "vote" for the candidate that there constituants selected. Not sure, but that may still apply in some states.
I believe that this is still true for all electors. I am not sure tht there is a law that says that their votes must reflect the popular vote from the district that they "represent".

I believe that this was intended to head-off a poor choice of candidate by the unlearned masses in the electorate.

The president did not originally choose a running mate to be VP. The VP was whomever came in 2nd, whether he was of the same party or not.

I think that we should let elected representatives live like kings for their term of office and then hang them.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Congress never did vote for the candidates.

Electors have never had to vote the way the voters voted.

The reason the Constitution was changed so President/Vice President were elected as a team is that under the original system the V.P. had a full time job, trying to undermine the President and stab him in the back. If he made him look bad enough the V.P. might even get 'promoted' next election.

"A house divided against itself can not stand." Abraham Lincoln
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I think if they spent more time worrying about getting stabbed in the back they'd have less time to stab us in the back.
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

Term limitations is the worst idea we've ever come up with. Pols have no incentive to keep any promises and those who do serve with honor are gone all too quickly. Worse, constituents have no reason to learn about the issues or to campaign for or against their representative in office. Just vote for whoever is fashionable
I am American