Anybody see the article in A.R. on the Mossy 464?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Anybody see the article in A.R. on the Mossy 464?

Post by Billy Boy »

Did anybody see the article in the new issue of American Rifleman on the new 94 clone by Mossberg? Very fair and seemingly unbiased.
I like the fact that they are planning to come out with a higher grade stock in walnut. Maybe I read it wrong; but it sounded like the walnut version of the 30-30 464 will only be in pistol-grip. Bummer.
On the onther hand(aside from being 5 fingers!); I saw a nice Pre-64 '94 in the case at my local Gander Mountain for only $400 last week!
Like Southside said-"Better days are coming"!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Anybody see the article in A.R. on the Mossy 464?

Post by J Miller »

I'm glad somebody liked it. Check out our own OJ's experiences with one.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7577

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I wasn't very impressed with the SHOTSHOW versions on display in 2008. OJ just reafirmed my opinions. I would much rather wait for the new Savage '99's due out in February at the next SHOTSHOW. A better investment in my "gunmoney".

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Both94sPlus
Levergunner

Post by Both94sPlus »

New Savage 99s??!! You made my day with that text.

I'm closing in on a VERY NICE 99 presently, think good thoughts in my direction.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Billy Boy, if you are going to spend anywhere near $400 on a lever .30-30, get the old Winchester. Having handled the Mossberg, it hasn't the slightest chance of ever becoming an heirloom.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Billy Boy, if you are going to spend anywhere near $400 on a lever .30-30, get the old Winchester. Having handled the Mossberg, it hasn't the slightest chance of ever becoming an heirloom.
Truer words have never been spoken!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I did read the article and, sorry, I was unimpressed. Somehow, the name Mossberg and '94 look alike just don't seem to jibe. For me, it's pre-war Winchesters, or nothin'. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mr. Taffin has an article on the gun in GUNS Magazine, too.

You know, new shooters who get one of these will be just as attached to them as we are to our early Winchesters, Marlins and Savages (or Whitneys, Evans, etc...). They will build memories that they will never want to lose.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mr. Taffin has an article on the gun in GUNS Magazine, too.

You know, new shooters who get one of these will be just as attached to them as we are to our early Winchesters, Marlins and Savages (or Whitneys, Evans, etc...). They will build memories that they will never want to lose.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

make it in .35 remington and i'll buy one
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I like the 464 design.. If I didn't already have a Model 99 I'd prolly go for one...I noted in the AR article it was said that there was a pretty steep learning curve involved in putting together the hand assembled rifle...(QC isn't what it used to be, EVERYWHERE) I like the fact the machined receiver is made from a forging .. the bridge at the rear is perfect to mount a peep on too..You wont wind up with a chunk of metal hanging off of the side of the receiver :o A buttstock held with a through the stock bolt...lower tang integral with the receiver ... And it still has the beloved profile of the 94 without a ramp front sight to boot...Among the negatives I've heard about this rifle.. crappy wood ..OJ's broken extractor and band bolt... the butt ugly tang safety and rebounding hammer.. But aside from being ugly as sin the thumb button doesn't have to be used, cause it has a rebounding hammer :evil: .. I guess the rebounding hammer is sort of like an automatic half cock? So how loud is it when you cock it?
It seems it's almost a given that now days you're gonna buy a new gun and have to do some work on it. again, QC aint what it used to be! There's been plenty of posts here about crappy wood on the 92 clones and others and how to deal with it ..troubles too with new Marlins having to be sent back...My last new purchase was Ruger Single Six .. I'm inclined to call it no good too, and they've been made in current config for years!.. Absolutely the creepiest trigger I've ever seen.. A step in the forcing cone.. Leads something fierce, and so ill timed that the drag line encircles the cylinder after less than 500 rounds through it....I got a lemon :( They're out there... Oh well, that's what I get for rushing out to buy Wifey the pistol she said she wanted!!...Gripes aplenty here too about the later Winchesters.. Look what happened to the Winchester Big Bore back in the day...
Last edited by Ben_Rumson on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

Guys!
I didn't say anybody had to or even should go right out and buy one of these! I merely mention it as something to discuss untill Winchester gets their collective "stuff" together and does what has been being rumored around here and other places for some time now and starts to build a "New 94"! Like I did say, I saw a Pre-64 '94 in the case at my local Gander Mtn a week ago for just under $400. This bodes well for the average price of said guns in the near-to-soon future methinks. That's it. That's all I said. Not an endorsement of Mossbergs in general.(personally, I'm a Marlin man myself!)
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone