Who's hunting tomorrow (Sat. 10/18)?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Who's hunting tomorrow (Sat. 10/18)?

Post by AndyM »

OK - so who is going hunting tommorrow and for what type of game? The fall hunting bug has caught up to me. I for one am going out with my muzzleloader tomorrow morning to see about punching one of my Pennsylvania whitetail doe tags in their early muzzleloader season. It should be a perfect fall day, cool in the morning, sunny durring the day, and the leaves are about at their peak color where I am at.

I'll probably not stay out all day - I'll be coming back to my home by 4 pm to (hopefully) watch Penn State whoop up on Michigan for a change (it's been about 9 years now so we are due). WE ARE....

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who's hunting tomorrow (Sat. 10/18)?

Post by El Chivo »

Sunday's my day, I'll be going for some ridgetops and will be looking for deer beds.

I'm trying to get out Sunday and one weekday, like Wednesday, with these old legs I need some recovery time. I also need Saturday to recover from work and make final preparations.

I just received some new Steiner Predator Pro (compact) 8x30 binoculars which I plan to take along. I need a lightweight optics solution and hopefully this will be it. They weigh about a pound. So this will be their test run.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Me! :D Tomorrow I'll be running down to the old family farm, muzzleloader in hand and see if I can invite a buck or a doe (got lucky and was drawn) home for supper. :D If nothing else; it will be a great morning in the Ozarks to sit there and watch the sun rise and the world wake up. :D

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Going out for a few hours tomorrow. It's my 14 yr old's first time deer hunting. He's got a parade to march in in the AM, so we'll sit an afternoon watch. We just check fired the K98 Mauser to make sure the scope was still on, and he ran a few rounds through the Marlin CB-L he'll carry.
Certified gun nut
Twinsfan
Levergunner

Post by Twinsfan »

Bowhunting in the morning, pheasant season opens at noon, and bowhunting again late afternoon. It's my birthday tomorrow so it's the only day of the year with no honey do list waiting for me. At least that's the plan; I'll probably end up cleaning my shop and straightening up the reloading room.
I am King of my castle; I do whatever I want, whenever I want to, ...... as long as my wife says it's OK.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Season for Whitetail opens here in NC that day. I have to go to my only grandsons first birthday party in SC Sat. We aren't allowed to hunt on Sun. here but I will out in force Monday morning with my 86, 45-70.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My state's small game opener's tomorrow @ 7AM, and I expect to attend. :mrgreen:

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Been doing some recent reminiscing of the old days here in
PA. when the first day of squirrel season was big doin’s.

Figured it has been years since I hunted squirrel on the fist
Day of squirrel season.

So I said to self, self we are going to forgo the PA. early
muzzleloader season and go after a few bushy tails. :D

Man I can smell the Squirrel pot-pie already. :wink:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Im going to drop off the camper and set up for muzzy season
which starts next weekend....
may hog hunt for a while....
One of the guys in the club is in stage 4 cancer....
and i'm gonna pick him up and spend the day with him....
may do some plinking with the 38-55....and 44
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I"m going in am for a doe here in South Central Penn's Woods. My .54 Custom Virginia Rifle is loaded and ready, my possibles bag is draped from the muzzle, along with the powder horn, haversack, belt axe, blade. My capote is draped across the chair, the mocasins are by the fire, my wool fingerless gloves are sitting there too. my license is ready. I will hunt the dawn from the ridgetops of my favorite glenn, looking for a doe to offer herself to me. Later in the day, as the sun gives up its final energy, I will hunt the lowland oaks and pines for limb bacon. Season comes at last and my spirit sours at the prospect of being in the woods of my creator.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

I'll be heading out around zero-dark-thirty! :shock: Turkey season opens tomorrow here in western New York and I like to be in the woods before fly-down! (Yawn!) :)
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:I"m going in am for a doe here in South Central Penn's Woods. My .54 Custom Virginia Rifle is loaded and ready, my possibles bag is draped from the muzzle, along with the powder horn, haversack, belt axe, blade. My capote is draped across the chair, the mocasins are by the fire, my wool fingerless gloves are sitting there too. my license is ready. I will hunt the dawn from the ridgetops of my favorite glenn, looking for a doe to offer herself to me. Later in the day, as the sun gives up its final energy, I will hunt the lowland oaks and pines for limb bacon. Season comes at last and my spirit sours at the prospect of being in the woods of my creator.
Hey Mike,

How do you work out meeting the legal
hunter orange requirement with the capote?

I always had a hard time with the orange requirement
and wanting to wear the capote in the early season. :x

The late season was not a problem as you know. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a hunter orange trappers knitted cap I wear, and I use a orange plastic "vest" over the Capote. I will be using your Capote tomorrow. I will take the oragne off for the after pictures. VBG Late season, is no problem.

Good luck tomorrow

mike
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good luck guys.

Won't have time for a couple weeks.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

As mklwhite said, tomorrow morning our muzzle loader season opens and I do have a bonus doe tag this year in case I don't see any horns that are legal. I do think a nice acorn fat doe will be my first choice. If the Lord don't come back before daylight I'll be up on the ridge behind the house.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
dawei

Post by dawei »

My son & I are leaving @ O' Dark Thirty to be in place watching a clearcut for for a monster 3pt (8pt Eastern Count) here in western Washington. I'll be using a Marlin® 30/30, my son a Winchester® in 7-30 Waters. (We also have a fully scoped & sporterized M44 Mosin-Nagant in 7.62x54R). Blacktail are the ultimate deer hunting challenge!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Sitting in a stand with Stick and String for me tomorrow morning. Next weekend is Muzzleloading opener in Oklahoma.

Good Luck all..!

:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I'll be after antelope in the morning with the pistol.
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We were going to, but three different carloads of "hunters" (I'm using the term loosely) had already parked in various places on or around our property and I got so irritated I just went back to the house.

They park just past our property line in neighbor's field entrances, etc., then walk up onto our place and hunt. Not much you can do except take the time to find them and confront them individually. Sheriff just says there's a car parked and maybe they ran out of gas. Even if you tell him you saw them get out with shotguns and head up the hill, he'll say he doesn't have the time to go find them. If you find them yourself you just invite confrontation with armed and already-lawbreaking individuals who threaten reprisals in the form of vandalism when you're not home.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

AJMD429,
That is just so wrong :(
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

AJMD429
What are the laws where you are? Can you post the land. Get a game warden to nab them?

Heck I would say that I'd do better, but I had a something similar today. I went hunting on the family (grandparents) farm (they moved to town - only people with permission to hunt is myself, my sons, my uncle and my cousin). I had been having a descent day hunting (saw only does -think I'll wait until later in the year to fill the doe tag) then I saw movement through the brush. The does have been coming through that way... is this a buck following them? I can't see through the brush very well, but can see movement. Brown... a little white... getting closer to an opening... moving my rifle so I can lift it if I need to... an idiot in wearing a brown shirt with white designs on it steps from the brush. Behind him are two others. Right in the middle of my hunting area! I get call to them and get up, walk over and ask what the heck (didn't say heck) was going on. One pipes up and says that he is my cousins brother in law and he gave permission to hunt? I said what (there was only one rifle between the 3 and it was not a muzzleloader) squirrels? (With what looked like a 243. Didn't get a good look at it though the one holding it kept it kind of behind him.) They said whatever they could find. I said they nearly found a 50 cal peephole in one of them. He said he didn't know I would be over here. I said that don't matter orange is the law even if you are hunting squirrels during any gun deer season and that they needed to get. They did. I went to my cousin's house (he wasn't home) then to my uncles to tell the tale and told him to tell his boy that he had an idiot for a brother in law.

Idiots ruined an otherwise beautiful day. :x
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

I got home from deer camp a couple days ago, our deer season opened on the 11th and we packed in and set up camp on the 8th. No deer were killed, only 2 does were spotted by 7 hunters in total :shock: Our population is down up high where I hunt.

We had a ball though, there were grouse everywhere and as soon as everyone decided no deer were to be had, we dined on grouse for 3 days! I hunted with a Marlin Cowboy in .44 and it ended up working well to snip the heads off of a few of our dinners!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

I got home from deer camp a couple days ago, our deer season opened on the 11th and we packed in and set up camp on the 8th. No deer were killed, only 2 does were spotted by 7 hunters in total :shock: Our deer population is down up high where I hunt.

We had a ball though, there were grouse everywhere and as soon as everyone decided no deer were to be had, we dined on grouse for 3 days! I hunted with a Marlin Cowboy in .44 and it ended up working well to snip the heads off of a few of our dinners!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mklwhite wrote:AJMD429
What are the laws where you are? Can you post the land. Get a game warden to nab them?

One pipes up and says that he is my cousins brother in law and he gave permission to hunt? :x
I've had people say my dad gave them permission to hunt here, "just last year" - the only problem is, he has been dead for forty years.

We post, but the signs get torn down, and if they park on someone else's land, and that person doesn't care, the only thing to do would be to track each one and press charges. Not practical. When you're headed to work and you spot a truck pulled off the road 400 yards down the road, it's not like you can just call in sick and spend the day dealing with the yahoos.

When I was a kid, we had a farmer down the road who would just use his front end loader to flip cars over if they parked in his fields. :shock: Before that, there was an old man down the road who would just set fire to any cars parking on his place. :o When they were our neighbors, there wasn't a whole lot of trespassing!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The older guys sure had a way of dealing with unpleasentries!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I got on my stand and just pulled my old Kentucky rifle up and laid it across my legs when a deer came right under me headed for a big persimmon patch. Still just dark enough that I couldn't see my sights, oh well Monday morning I'll be there again If the Lord don't come back tonite.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15