Suburban Backyard shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Suburban Backyard shooting

Post by AndyM »

I would like to know what is a good combo (ammo and gun) for suburban backyard shooting? Both for pests (chipmunk,squirrel,blue jay culling) and targets - most wanted attributes are accuracy and noise levels.

I cannot help to wonder if some of the higher priced/higher quality air rifles are better suited than the 22 short and 22 rifle I have used. I have some CCI CB Shorts and used them out of a Remington pump rifle 22 and the crack is still pretty loud. I have a 94/22 available also, but the Remington pump's barrel is longer, so I thought this would help noise levels. Is a 1200 fps air rifle quieter than a .22 short at 850 fps? What about a 850 fps air rifle noise level?

I would like to have a set-up for this type of shooting and need opinions on what everyone is using for this. I can say I probably fired more shots at chipmunks in my backyard the past 12 months than I have at whitetail deer, but we most often talk about the later...

thanks...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Suburban Backyard shooting

Post by Pete44ru »

I would check that your municipality allows the discharge of a firearm in a compact area.town limits, first - you may be forced to use an air rifle.

I have been so restricted for forty years, but have taken rabbits & pheasant with a .20 (5mm) Sheridan pump rifle near my backyard.

.22 Super Colibri's are very quiet, making about the same report as a hammer banging a nail into a sheet of plywood on a quiet morning (from a pistol).
Care must be taken that they clear the barrel of rifles.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I use CCI CB Longs in my 9422 and my savage 24 they are quieter than my air rifle.
I have taken Rabbits, Squirrels, Blue Jays. The last Jay I shot with the Savage and CB longs was about 70 yds away.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My air rifles are louder than a Remington 512
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

game keeper wrote:I use CCI CB Longs in my 9422 and my savage 24 they are quieter than my air rifle.
I have taken Rabbits, Squirrels, Blue Jays. The last Jay I shot with the Savage and CB longs was about 70 yds away.
Ditto on the CCI CB longs. Very quite and work on small pests.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri are both quieter from rifles than the CCI CBs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

About the quietest you will find are the Super Colibri rds out of the 9422. The report is significantly quieter than the CBs.

As a matter of fact, the projectile hitting a wood target is actually louder than the report. I've taken squirrels, mourning doves, crows and the like with no problems at all. And between 15-20yds are more than accurate enough for head shots.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri are both quieter from rifles than the CCI CBs.
+1 - very, VERY quiet. :D
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...+2!

The Super Colibris are very quiet. My Red Rider is louder than Super Colibris fron my Henry levergun. :D :!:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is what I use. ANYTHING up to the speed of sound (1150 fps) sounds like an air rifle. I made it myself in an afternoon or so. Its just a mess of plywood put together and slap it in a plastic 55 gal. barrel. Fill in between the baffles with standard insulation------------------------Sixgun
1909 produced Winchester Lo-Wall .22 LR with Stevens 5X scope, set trigger, and 28" oct. bbl. & "Eddie"
Image,

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Get something like this with it's 27 inch barrel and some sub sonic ammo you'd have a very quiet rig..
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =113039195
Or Pay the tax, get the license, and use a silencer ....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

here is what I use mostly:

its an HW-97K, Weirauch, scoped, .20 cal. Its my best game getter around the house.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Standard .22 shorts out of my Marlin M39 can't be heard when you're standing next to the rifle and someone else is shooting it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

You gotta learn to think outside the square.

Get a 45-70 or some other big noisy gun and shoot fullhouse loads (but make sure your bullets stay in your yard)
When all your neihbours move away cause your such a noisy s.o.b, then you'll have more room to shoot and won't need to use subsonics. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Sixgun,
How do I beat you out of that scope?
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have/use a GAMO Whisper .177 pellet gun for around the house pest control.

It will cleanly kill small vermin (rats, mice, squirrels, birds, etc.) out to 50-yards and will cleanly kill a raccoon or raccoon sized animal out to 20-yards.

I've also got a Crossman 2240 .22 cal pellet gun (handgun) that is also good for pest control.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rusty wrote:Standard .22 shorts out of my Marlin M39 can't be heard when you're standing next to the rifle and someone else is shooting it.
Are you deaf or am I missing something? .22 Shorts are loud enough to unmistakably recognized as gun shots.

Of course, NONE of us is advocating any illegal activity and certainly not any unsafe activity either.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

What has not been mentioned directly here but is important is the sonic "crack" from loads that break the sound barrier.
A good part of the sound of a gunshot is the sonic boom of the projectile's pressure wave.
The crack of a bullet moving faster than the speed of sound ( about 1100 feet per second) and a jet aircraft's sonic boom breaking
the sound barrier is exactly the same thing only different in intensity.
Loads under 1000 fps are usually quieter than the noise from the gases (revolver cylinder gap, etc) exiting the weapon.
Loads closely approaching 1100 fps and over are also louder because a part of the propellant gases also break the sound barrier adding
their own crack.
Anyone who has been in combat or even pulled targets from a pit has heard the crack or snap of a supersonic bullet overhead.
The movie Saving Pvt Ryan has this sound very realistic.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

mescalero1 wrote:Sixgun,
How do I beat you out of that scope?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ---------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I think that means no way
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bullard4075 wrote:What has not been mentioned directly here but is important is the sonic "crack" from loads that break the sound barrier.
A good part of the sound of a gunshot is the sonic boom of the projectile's pressure wave....Loads under 1000 fps are usually quieter than the noise from the gases (revolver cylinder gap, etc) exiting the weapon. ...
I have 2 loads for the back yard (from inside the house where the neighbors can't see the gun...)

.22 Super Colibri (20gr 500fps) for squirrel/starling/mourning dove and 158-180gr 500fps .357 out of the Rossi for Coon & Possum.

Neither make any noise in practical terms.

I shoot both in my basement... and the wife doesn't hear it in the kitchen.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!