Leverevolution ammo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Leverevolution ammo?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Guys, I am just ending my first week working in hunting at the local Sportsman's Warehouse, and we are out of Leverevolution ammo in .30/30. I can't believe the demand for this stuff, with customers telling me how well it shoots in their lever guns. Is this the common experience here? I see Hornady has announced this load in .32 Special as well.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leverevolution ammo?

Post by Modoc ED »

Speaking as to the performance of Leverevolution in my .444 Marlins:

It shoots pretty good with good groups in my late model (2004 mfg) .444 MarlinSS Balard Rifling 1:20 twist/groove.

Doesn't shoot very good in my early model (1979 mfg) .444 MarlinS Microgroover Rifling 1:38 twist/groove.

If you look on the end-flap of Hornady Factory Loaded .444 Marlin Leverevolution Ammo there is a printed statement that says, "For use with 1:20 groove barrels only".

I only bought one box to try and it is all gone. I will not buy anymore because I can reload much better ammo -- at least that's my opinion.

There are lots of success stories though from people using the Hornady Leverevolution ammo.
ED
Yer never too old
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

While I've heard nothing but good testimonials, I too handload and have no use for it.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'll wager those who do not hand load think it's great. They have nothing to compare it to. Those who do a credible job of reloading may or may not like the stuff.

Me ...... never tried it. Probably won't unless someone gives me a box. I can buy a box of 100 bullets for what the gummy tipped Hornady stuff costs.

J :D e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm waiting for Hornady to start selling the bullets as components for us reloaders!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I have been using it for my 45-70 and with open sights i was knocking the snot out of those clay skeet at 100 yards. For the 45-70 it is some of the best priced ammo you can buy for a good hunting round. Pretty good stuff I think.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

So far I have yet to get as tight a group from myWin 94BB/ 444 Marlin as I have with the LevEv ammo. Hand loads included. Shoots much lower at 100 yds than my handloads.

Whole different story with my 450 Marlin. My hand loads w/ Hornady bullets and Varget are hard to beat.

I have some LevEv. in 30-30 and 45 Colt but haven't shot them yet.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I handload and I think it is great.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I was considering using it with the Lever Scope that is calibrated to 300 yds with LE ammo (the 30-30). Mostly because the scope in not up to my personal standard for optics I decided not to get the ammo - since I wasn't gettting the scope. Instead, I figured out a load with 165 gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets at 2200 fps (20" bbl.). The ballistics are the same as the LE ammo, which only makes sense since the bullet weight and velocity are only different by the 5 gr of bullet weight. As a precaution, I guess I'll only load two in the gun. Oh and forget the calibrated scope. Sighted in 3" high at 100 yds (as are most of my centerfire rifles w/ scopes) the 165 Core-Lokt is Dead On at 200 yards and 13" low at 300 yds. I can compenstate on my own as I have always done by using a good rangefinder and knowing the size of the animals vital zone. So much for the revolution of long range capability with your ole brush gun - it was there all along....
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

In GF Marlin MG 3030 it grouped really nice . She shot a small deer at 50 yards and it put a hole thru that deer you could almost put your hand thru. MY POINT. I found no bullet jacket or anything to make me think the bullet blew up. I would think it would make for good performance at 200 yards also with the lowered speed of the bullet. They are not cheap.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

marlinman93 wrote:I'm waiting for Hornady to start selling the bullets as components for us reloaders!
I don't think that they will, since they have the goose with the golden egg - until some competitor like Sierra, or Barnes with their all copper bullet, comes up with a similar soft-tipped bullet and puts it on the open market.
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

I handload for my .45-70, but the LE ammo is every bit as accurate. Got a new marlin 1894, for Indiana deer season, and LE ammo is what I'm gonna use, in the .44 mag. My son has a handi rifle, .44 mag, and that is what he's gonna use. My buddy, Doc, that went on safari, with me last summer, used a .308MX, and LE ammo to take 7 head of plains game with it. He also has a XLR .30-30 that he used in Texas 2 yrs. ago to take several hogs.

Based on my experience, and those around me, if I didn't handload, I'd use the LE ammo in everything.

Mad Dog
vulcan
Levergunner

Post by vulcan »

Correct if I am wrong but I believe I read some where that winnie was coming out
with a round to compete with the LE ammo. Cheers Vulcan
Don't judge until you have walked a mile in the other person's moccasins!
SUM QUOD SUM...............HOMINEM TE ESSE MENENTO
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

vulcan wrote:Correct if I am wrong but I believe I read some where that winnie was coming out
with a round to compete with the LE ammo. Cheers Vulcan
I've been watching for a competitor to find a way to market the unique soft "memory" tip technology that Hornady holds a patent for; but I haven't heard of anybody cracking that nut, yet. I would be interested in any info in that area, if this has changed.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

marlinman93 wrote:I'm waiting for Hornady to start selling the bullets as components for us reloaders!
+1

It shoots great in my 1886 Win. (modern) 45-70.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a box of the LE, but have not shot any yet. I handload some, too. I have some 170 grain flat point Speer stuff for a 30-06, and may try the one in the magazine and one in the chamber like 86er mentioned. I have this morning off, then I won't be off again for about 2 weeks. If work ever slows down, then I will try the loads.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Winchester does have a plastic tip bullet in 30-30. The 150 gr Supreme Ballistic Silvertip features a white polycarbonate pointy tip. The tip is a little harder than the Hornady tip and not quite as pointy. Right now the bullet is only available in 150gr (Hornady is 160). The MV is 2390 from a 22" barrel for the Winny while Hornday claims MV 2400 but with a 24" barrel.
If you look at the trajectory it is within 1 1/2" of the Hornady out to 300 yards, ie: Dead On at 200 yds = 15.6 low at 300 yards. I have seen 3 animals shot with these Winnys and the results proved good expansion and a little more penetration than say a 150 Core Lokt, about 20% more with the same sized animals. The Win ammo is $2.20 more per box than the lowest price I've seen on the Hornady. I spoke the the Win Ammo Regional Sales Coordinator about the ammo. Yes, it was made to compete directly with LeverEvolution. Why has there not been a big advertising campaign and hype from Winchester Ammo? I asked. Sales are exceeding goals in many other areas so projects and promotions have been directed to other areas. The sale of 30-30 Win ammo overall has shown a fluctuation that is unusual for those products, but the declines have been within their acceptable parameters and countered with other products increases. Check it out:

http://www.winchester.com/products/cata ... cg==&use=7
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member