OT-ruffed grouse hunting aka ruffed grouse missing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-ruffed grouse hunting aka ruffed grouse missing

Post by Jason_W »

Vermont's ruffed grouse season opened this weekend and I managed to get out late yesterday afternoon. I was surprised at the number of birds out there considering the incredibly wet summer we had.

It's some tough hunting, though. They like to be way in the thick stuff that's near impossible to walk through. I took 7 shots at four birds and failed to connect even once :oops: It should get a little easier once the leaves are off the trees.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-ruffed grouse hunting aka ruffed grouse missing

Post by AkRay »

I've been trying for grouse for the last week or so. I saw 3 or 4 ruffed grouse this weekend, but they'd all been educated by other hunters that men with guns are bad, and they flushed before I knew they were there. I did get one shot, but the grouse was in thick brush and I missed a head shot with my 10/22.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

man do i miss grouse hunting...pheasent too!
all we have is quail and snipe
and not too many of either..

Happy hunting
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Lip smackin good they are. Been doing the firewood thing here in the Interior. Having fair success with cheap cast boolits and a medium dose of Trail Boss loaded in 38spcl cases. I have to snuggle the front post down into the bottom of the peep to compensate for the low velocity but the little 94C is flat out a grouse killin machine.

You know Ray, a long held Athabaskan tradition/superstition is that you NEVER go "hunting". Bad MoJo I guess. Better to take the rifle along in the truck or boat and go woodcutting :idea:

My best to you guys. Let the feathers fly

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I found the best way to hunt grouse was with a pellet gun. Start at the back of the group and work forward (towards you). They'll usually stand there wondering what's going on and you've got the families supper.
Old Law Dawg
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jason_W wrote:Vermont's ruffed grouse season opened this weekend and I managed to get out late yesterday afternoon. I was surprised at the number of birds out there considering the incredibly wet summer we had.

It's some tough hunting, though. They like to be way in the thick stuff that's near impossible to walk through. I took 7 shots at four birds and failed to connect even once :oops: It should get a little easier once the leaves are off the trees.
Um... maybe you shouldn't be using a .30-30... :wink: :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I don't bother going until the leaves start coming off .
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Grouse and woodcock don't come in in PA until October 18th, and pheasant the following weekend, which isn't too bad that they're that late, because my setter pup isn't ready to go yet. He thinks he is, but his obedience needs some work before he's exposed to birds.

I'm not expecting much in the way of wild birds this year since it was so wet in the spring and early summer. Best grouse hunting in PA is the county east of me, and the past couple years that's meant roughly two flushes for an hour of hunting.

In case you don't already know, choke cylinder or skeet, and put 1 1/8 oz or 1 1/4 oz of #7 1/2 or #8 down the barrel.

~Michael
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Saw and missed one yesterday driving out from a bear blind......All I had was the 45-70 (bad idea) and the JFrame .357 Centennial DAO.....The grouse is prolly still laughing at me :oops: I have a little NEF .410 for grouse oportunites, but left it home :oops: Dang CRS :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:Saw and missed one yesterday driving out from a bear blind......All I had was the 45-70 (bad idea) and the JFrame .357 Centennial DAO.....The grouse is prolly still laughing at me :oops: I have a little NEF .410 for grouse oportunites, but left it home :oops: Dang CRS :mrgreen:
I've always wondered how a stout load of fast burning powder under a fiber wad and a tall column of shot in a .45-70 case would work...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I went out for a walk this weekend and manage to miss 2 grouse (we call the partridge here) Saw a total of 6 or should I say heard? The two I shot at were just maybe I'll get lucky type shots. Brought out my old Mossberg bolt 12 ga bolt with a polychoke. Choke was set wide open. My usual is my dad's old 870 wingmaster 20ga with a 26" modified choke barrel.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Honestly, most of the grouse I've put in the pot over the years have been those stupid enough to let me see them on the ground. That being said, knocking one out of the air is immensely gratifying.

We also had one commit suicide against the side of our house once. It just flew at full speed into clapboards and broke its neck. Go figure.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I managed to somehow hit 3 grouse myself yesterday, and only took me 2 boxes of shells to get them!!
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

So far my little GWP and I have accounted for 3 blue grouse, 2 ruffed grouse and 2 pheasants!

All were taken with a Ruger Red Label 20 gauge with the exception of one ruffed grouse. That was taken with a 30-30/20 gauge Savage 24V.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan