Rifle twist

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Rifle twist

Post by RustyJr »

I am thinking of getting either a 30-30 or a 92 winchester in 44mag. I would like to get the 92 but I have some concerns about the rifling twist. My dad says that he doesn't think that the rifling twist is too slow to stabilize a 44. bullet at long range. I know it has to do with your ability with rifle and knowing your rifle but will it stabilize it well enough for shooting say 200-300 yards. I just wondering about the long range abilities of the 44.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Rifle twist

Post by J Miller »

Rusty Jr,

The general twist for the 44 Mag rifles seems to be 1-38". This is more than enough to properly stabilize the standard 240gr bullets and a bit more. How much more I don't know.

There is another thread running here or was a couple days ago about this very subject. Look back a few pages and you should find it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

See this nice chart and article - http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-3_Twist.htm

Lots of useful information there...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

was reading cast boolits article and the guy said a 1-26" was optimal for 240-250gr bullets. Good articles; go to cast booloits.com and click on cast.pics
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!